Homemade Fig Bars

What pre-packaged treat do you most remember your mother buying you as a child? Graham crackers? Chocolate chip cookies? Gingersnaps? Oreos? In my house, it was Fig Newtons. I think my mother assumed the fig center made them a more sensible choice than the other options at the grocery. While my mom usually baked her own delicious cookies, but I don't think she ever tried her hand at homemade Newtons. Even when I started thinking about making a healthier, less sugar-filled, homemade version of Newtons I was a bit intimidated. It just didn't seem like a recipe that would be easy to pull off in a home kitchen.

Well, I was wrong. Totally wrong. In fact, in the same amount of time it takes to make a simple batch of chocolate chip cookies, I made these decadently rich bars, filled with sweet fig and tucked inside a tender whole wheat cookie. Both of my kids agreed they were superior to the store bought Fig Newtons they had tried at a friend's house -- they couldn't keep their mitts out of the tin I put them in.

One night after my two little cookie monsters had three cookies apiece and were going for more, I hid the tin. I did such a good job tucking it out of sight that five days later I realized I totally forgot about them. Figuring they would be stale I opened the container and pulled one out to try. Amazingly they were still as moist and irresistible as the first day I had baked them.

Store bought fig bars for us? Never again!

Homemade Fig Bars  (makes 20)

• 1 cup roughly chopped dried figs, stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. 2. Place the figs in a small bowl, cover with hot water, and soak for 10 minutes.
  3. 3. Remove the figs from the water with a slotted spoon and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the honey and 1 tablespoon of the soaking liquid. Puree until smooth and spreadable.
  4. 4. In the bowl of a standing mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
  5. 5. Add the flour and mix until a dough forms.
  6. 6. Roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper into two 12 x 4 inch rectangles.
  7. 7. Spread the fig mixture on one half of each rectangle - spreading up the 12-inch side and leaving a 1/4-1/2 inch border.
  8. 8. Fold the dough over on top of itself and gently press the dough together at the edges.
  9. 9. Cut each log into 10 cookies and transfer to a silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet.
  10. 10. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
Homemade Fig Bars

Comments

1. suzy

August 18, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Does it have to be white whole wheat flour or can you use just whole wheat flour?

2. Lisa

August 14, 2014 at 11:23 am

I used fresh figs and they turned out great. I had them in the oven for only 14 min and it was perfect. They’re not very good hot out of the oven. They seem to taste best a whole day later. My husband really liked the cookie part of it since it’s not very sweet. They were super easy to make using the parchment paper. I’ll definitely make them again and try a different fruit next time!

3. Pingback: In Season: Figs - The Kitchenthusiast

4. Melodie

February 24, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Do you think I could use cooked carrots and dried blueberries as the filling? What are you’re thoughts?

5. Rach1366

January 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I’ve made these so many times, and love them! But I would really like to try to make them a little healthier. Any suggestions for substitutes for the butter? or Maybe less sugar?

• Miriam

April 1, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Flavorwise, there is no substitute for butter. Margarine has been found to be unhealthful, like any hydrogenated fat. Shortening wouldn’t give you the taste. Nutritionists are starting to say that butter is OK in moderation.

6. Rach1366

January 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This is my new favorite recipe! I have actually made this several times but never with figs, and each time they came out so good. Ive made cranberry, strawberry/cranberry and cherry/cranberry. I couldn’t find dried strawberries, only freeze dried ones, but they still worked great as a filling, I just added a little water when pureeing them and they got nice a sticky. Maybe someday I will look for dried figs and make the real recipe! But for now its fun to try a different flavor everytime!

7. MJW

October 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Yumma yumma! Not as difficult as I thought but just as delicious!

8. Megan F.

October 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm

When I first saw this recipe and even the video, I thought there was no way mine would turn out that nice. I am so glad I tried! These are fantastic! I made a double batch of dough with half filled with the fig and the other half with pureed prune and orange zest. I did add a pinch of sea salt to the dough. They turned out beautifully. I bought white whole wheat flour just for this recipe. I was eating them hot out of the oven and they were ok, but they were irresistible when I put them in an airtight container for three days. I had to write 110 calories for each cookie on the package so I wouldn’t eat them all in one sitting.

9. Tina

October 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm

This is the second time we made these. First time using all purpose flour and this time white whole wheat flour. Liked them better with WWWF. They turned out perfect. We also trippled the recipe in order to have plenty for the freezer. The dough was very easy to work with (my husband rolled it out, somehow he does that part better than me) :-). Our two boys (4,6), hubby and I all love them! I am not sure they will make it to the freezer!

10. Allyson S

October 4, 2013 at 6:17 pm

My dough is too dry. And how on earth did you roll yours into just a rectangle? Help!

• Emilie

February 4, 2014 at 12:19 am

Today’s batch had 3/4 cup peanut butetr, all other ingredients as above. I soaked the oats for 5 minutes, and they were really waterlogged. In the future, don’t soak the oats, but the flavor is good.

11. Dea

October 4, 2013 at 2:18 am

These were so unbelievably easy to make, I have always wanted to make these homemade. I substituted with Craisins and left out the soak, followed the rest of the instructions. They baked up perfect!

12. Pingback: Fig & Grand Marnier Jam | napa farmhouse 1885

13. Pingback: Go Big with Fleeting Figs — Summer Fest | Cooking Bookmarks

14. Pingback: Feeding Friends: Gluten-Free Cheesecake with Fresh Figs and Honey | Feed Me Phoebe

15. Pingback: Roasted Fig

16. Jennifer

August 17, 2013 at 6:24 pm

My dough was very difficult to work with – it was sticking to the parchment paper and I had trouble folding it in half. When I sliced the cookies, I couldn’t lift them and transfer them to the cookie sheet. I just baked them on the parchment paper I rolled it on. I put the other half in the fridge and it seemed to make it easier to work with (but I still had trouble rolling it). Any advice? They tasted great and we would like to make them again. I used fresh ground white whole wheat.
    Thanks

17. Alex

August 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm

what is soaking liquid??…

August 8, 2013 at 10:11 am

The water that you soak the figs in from step 2

18. JC

August 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm

YUM!

19. Tara

August 1, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Another hit! I’ve made them twice now and while they haven’t turned out as pretty as yours (I’m still working on my form), they taste great. Thank you.

20. Cathy

July 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I also need advice on how to use fresh figs. Can I use the fig preserves I put up last year?

21. Cathy

July 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Has anyone ever made this with fresh figs? Need advice! Thanks!

22. Pingback: Homemade Kids Snacks {Lunch Box} | In The Know Mom

23. Alan

May 16, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Great to see this old standard again. Would be helpful if measures were in metric to save looking up the conversion tables. I remember these bars with orange zest and juice in the date filling. I have also done it with lemon. The taste is amazing and the kids love them even more. Cuts back the sweetness of the dates and honey a little.

24. Nuzzette

May 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

My toddler started double-fisting double-stacked fig newmans so I decided it was time to make them at home. Made this recipe today and while he definitely liked them they were WAAAY too big for his little self. I realized this after cutting the first log and made the second log into 20 small bars, much better size for my little guy. I am going to add some salt next time (maybe 1/2 tsp ground sea salt) to see if that helps the dough rise a little more and maybe divide the dough three-ways and make smaller bars overall. Great job on this recipe! Now I just need to find a reasonable-to-make substitute for Annie’s Gummy Bunnies…

25. Carla

April 24, 2013 at 8:54 pm

so I finally just realised what these are! in Australia we call these Pillow biscuits. and they’re filled with all sorts of dried fruit flavours even berries. I definitely will have to give these a try one time.

26. Sarah

April 12, 2013 at 7:41 am

Surprised the recipe contains no salt. The cookie dough has a hard surface & doesn’t rise well without it. I also b elieve the dough would be much easier to work with if the butter is cold; i will try it that way next time.

27. gilad

April 11, 2013 at 1:02 am

can i use fresh figs?

April 11, 2013 at 10:17 am

You can! It’s just easier with dried. You may need to add a little water to them depending on how ripe and juicy they are! It should be like a paste consistency once pureed!

28. Audrey

April 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Just made these. The filling definitely is delicious and tastes like the store bought fig newtons. There seems to be more filling then dough as mine were overflowing with filling and there didn’t seem to be enough dough. I baked mine for 16 minutes and they came out hard like a cookie. They still taste good but mine are more cookie like.

29. Pingback: Homemade Fig Bars | "An Apple A Day" Blog

30. Erin

February 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Could I fell the fig bars with a different kind of fruit, we are in a small town and figs not the easiest to get a hold of. If so what kind of fruit would you suggest?

• Leslie

April 8, 2013 at 8:37 am

A friend of mine used prunes because she didn’t have figs and she said they were delicious!

February 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm

You could probably use any dried fruit your prefer! Like berries or apricots!

31. Nicolen

February 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Have these baking in the oven as I type!! I can’t wait to try them but also for my picky 5 year old daughter as well! My one question. I have left over fig spread. Can I freeze it or keep in fridge till I make more? And if so for how long and if I can’t keep it stored what can I do with it? I hate wasting food. BTW they smell amazing so far!!

February 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm

You can freeze the fig filling for up to 3 months or keep it in the fridge for about 5 days!

32. Caitlin

January 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I notice a lot of honey in your recipes and I thought that was a big no-no for toddlers. I have been substituting maple syrup in most recipes. Any thoughts?

January 28, 2013 at 1:03 am

Maple syrup and agave are great substitutes for honey! It is recommended to wait until after 1 year to introduce honey to babies.

• Rachel

January 27, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Honey is only a no no for babies under one.

33. Liz

January 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

The first time I made these they were too sweet for my taste (although, that did not stop us from eating them all). This time I reduced the sugar to 1/3c and reduced the honey to 1/2T – perfect!.

After reading other posts I’ll just add that I did not have any issues working with the dough and the filling amount was just fine too.

34. tw

December 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm

This recipe makes me super happy because the dough was really easy to work with (not an experienced baker). Next time I’ll try increasing the fig filling to dough ratio, and using a little less honey though. I’m finding the honey to bea little overpowering. Thanks for giving me a new staple treat recipe… I love fig newtons and these are so much nicer than the store purchased variety.

35. Ann

December 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Had to substitute dates as I couldn’t find figs, but these are yummy! And, my dear anti-whole-wheat husband loved them (of course, I didn’t tell him that I used 100% king arthur flour white whole wheat!). Thanks for another winner!

36. shirley

November 14, 2012 at 12:56 am

Hi, any subsitute instead of sugar ? Xylitol or date paste perhaps as a natural sweetener…trying not to add sugar (white or brown) thanks

November 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

You would need to use something granulated so that the consistency stays the same. I personally am not a fan of xylitol. Maybe date sugar or palm sugar?

37. Pingback: Homemade (and whole wheat) Fig Newtons — North Shore Mama

38. Lisa

October 13, 2012 at 8:23 pm

My husband just introduced me to your site – love it! Do you have gluten-free recipes?

39. Julie

October 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

These are one of my favorite recipes of yours now! My sister in law has a fig tree, but they don’t care for figs so we get lots! :) I’ve made these about 4 times now, and they are SO delicious! I had looked for homemade fig newton recipe before, but many were very complicated, these are simple, come together fast, and are always a big hit, thanks! :)

40. Victoria

October 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hello Catherine! i just tried this recipe and is amazing!! so I was wondering if the amount of flour is the correct, because i had to add more than what you said in the recipe, my mixure was so sticky, but still delicious!! thanks for sharing!

41. 2brownboys

October 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hey there, Catherine, how can I make this recipe with fresh figs? I have always only had dried figs and I was in the farmers market the other day and saw beautiful fresh figs.. I have a newly 1 year old and 3 year old and I need some idea as to how to use them in a way that everyone can enjoy.

thanks in advance

October 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You could try this with fresh figs. Just blend them to get them to a paste. You might need to strain the liquid out, though!

42. heather g

September 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

these are so good and suprisingly easy.

43. Pingback: WHAT TO FEED A ONE YEAR OLD. | holdenon baby

44. marg

September 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I am wanting to know about freezing fig newtons, if i don’t freeze them we eat them to fast I want to try dried apricots, dates sounds good too. my recipe said to put into a sealed contaner or ziplock when still hot it keeps them soft and cakie, I just love them and are quit simple to make

September 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I have some in the freezer right now! I bake them, let them cool, and then freeze them!

45. Laura Degnan

September 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I’d love to see a video for this recipe!

September 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Great idea! It is officially on my list!

46. Ruth

September 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

Made these over the weekend – easy recipe to make! I used dried figs from Trader Joes – do you need to somehow remove the seeds? I’m not a fig cookie fan, and when I ate one, I felt like I was chewing on ground-up glass because of the seeds! The husband said Fig Newtons aren’t like that.

September 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Nope, you don’t need to remove the seeds, but yes figs do have a lot of seeds and create a certain texture. Fig Newtons have that same texture as far as I can remember!

47. Krystal L

August 31, 2012 at 10:25 pm

What about fig preserves? I have several jars from a trip to Louisiana this summer and I want to use them.

September 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm

As long as they aren’t too liquidy they should work great! You want the filling to be more paste-like!

48. Mamta

August 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Here’s my version:

I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup AP flour. Dough was perfect.

I used organic dried apricots and omitted the honey. I measured 1 cup chopped dried apricots and the filling came out too much. I divided it in half and spread all of it… Way too much…

I ended up baking them close to 20 mins and they were overdone.

This batch is too sweet for my taste so I’ll half the sugar in the dough and use less dried apricots next time.

Overall, great recipe to personalize!!!

49. Mya

August 28, 2012 at 10:11 am

Anyone else have super wet sticky dough? I had to almost double the flour and still have to chill the dough because its sooo sticky!

50. Pingback: Fall Pumpkin Butter Newtons « The Fox Box

51. Tracy

August 27, 2012 at 10:07 am

My dough rolled out nicely but when I went to fold it over the fig spread it cracked , and crumbled. Any ideason what I may have done wrong? I could!’t get it to cover all the spread bit they are baking in the oven.

52. Melissa McKenna

August 26, 2012 at 8:24 am

I used 1 cup brown rice flour and 1/2 cup coconut flour. Kept everything else the same. They came out great and GF :) I would give a tip of using the wax or parchment paper to help fold the dough in half since it is more crumbly. It wasn’t that bad at all though! So yummy you can’t tell they are GF!

• Melissa McKenna

August 26, 2012 at 8:25 am

OH and not crumbly once cooked! Very happy with the outcome.

53. Kim

August 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Can you use whole wheat flour instead of white whole wheat flour? Thanks!

August 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

It will be a slightly different texture, but try and let me know how it turns out!

54. shirleynature

August 21, 2012 at 12:46 am

I will definitely try these. Instead of the sugar I will try xylitol which is a natural sugar (tooth friendly) made from either corn or birch tree. It acts by not raising the blood sugar levels & is actually good for toddlers teeth as opposed to sugar. Or I will try apple juice concentrate which is sugar free but sweet like sugar. Thankyou for the lovely recipe.

55. Marishannon

August 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I made these and while they tasted pretty good, they were so difficult to work with! And the fresh figs had way too much moisture. I plan on trying again with dried.

56. marla

August 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm

We were a Fig Newton house too and still are. I MUST try your homemade ones ~ they look amazing!

57. Jenny H

August 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I think I’ll try these with Trader Joe’s fig butter.

58. M. Vath

August 20, 2012 at 8:11 am

I have been wanting make homemade fig bars for my children for 3years. I have searched the web and never found an easy healthy recipe for them. These look healthy and easy. Thank you for finally giving me a recipe I have searched for, for 3years!!

59. Vanessa Sanchez

August 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm

where do you buy your dried figs?

August 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

I buy them at Trader Joe’s! I sometimes see them at other groceries as well.

60. Summer

August 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I made these and they didn’t look at beautiful as yours in the picture. Confused about which way you add the fig mixture to half of the dough – is it lengthwise, or half of the dough widthwise, and then fold in half. I did add a T of chia seeds to the fig mixture, which I thought was a good idea and that part came out nicely!

• Nona

February 5, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks for your post. I would love to comment that the very first thing you will need to acmpsolich is find out if you really need fixing credit. To do that you have got to get your hands on a copy of your credit file. That should really not be difficult, ever since the government makes it necessary that you are allowed to acquire one cost-free copy of your credit report annually. You just have to request that from the right individuals. You can either check out the website for your Federal Trade Commission or contact one of the major credit agencies directly.

August 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Spread the fig mixture up the 12-inch length!

61. Naureen

August 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Is the 12″ x 4″ correct? Isn’t the 4″ a tad too thick? And once you roll over the dough that makes 8″? Can’t be right… what am I missing?

• Marishannon

August 19, 2012 at 6:52 am

The 4″ refers to the width of the rectangle, not the thickness.

62. Wendy

August 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I had trouble with the dough, it came out very crumbly and wouldn’t roll or be worked without crumbling apart. The only thing i did differently was that i used turbinado sugar and regular [brown] whole wheat flour. I decided to just roll them into balls and cook the dough as is [cooking now] but i still have the fig mixture and want to try again. What did i do wrong?

• Wendy

August 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Ok, it was definitely the turbinado sugar! It didn’t break down at all! [The messed up batch of dough i cooked came out and i could see the sugar crystals throughout!]
      I made a new batch with regular sugar [cut it to 1/3 cup] and used 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour, 1/4 cup Oat Bran, and 1/4 cup Almond Meal and gently mixed the flour in with a spatula and they turned out perfectly!!! They are delicious!!

63. Erin

August 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I’m so excited to make these! Do you think they’ll freeze well?

August 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have some in the freezer right now! So far so good. I’ll take some out in the next few days and see how they defrost. :)

64. Kara

August 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Look delish! If you use fresh figs should you still add the honey?

August 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Taste the puree first and if you think it is sweet enough then leave the honey out!

65. NicoleF

August 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

So I made them with 3/4 apricots and 1/4 dates (because that’s all I had in the dried fruit dept. and I was too anxious to make them to have to go to the store). They are DELICIOUS!!

66. Dale L

August 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Oh, these taste so good to me! I don’t care what the munchkins think of them! Perfect as written! And if anyone else has a silly question like I did… Hot water is just hot from the faucet… not boiling.

67. NicoleF

August 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I am going to try these first with apricots, and then maybe dates – no figs on hand!

68. Dale L

August 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

How hot is hot? I know silly question. Just hot from the water heater hot or like boiling hot?

August 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Just hot from the faucet! No boiling.

69. Lisa | With Style and Grace

August 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I use to love fig newtons growing up, oh the memories! happy to see this recipe vs the packaged cookies :)

70. Dorothy

August 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Oh my gosh Catherine you are AMAZING! Baking these tomorrow! You surprise me with each new recipe :)

71. aida mollenkamp

August 15, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Yes, one of my favorite snacks as a kid!

72. Shannon

August 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Made these. Subbed 1/2 cup flour for 1/2 cup bran. Turned out great!!! Used strawberry jam for a filling and it is a tad runny, but still very delicious. My 2 year old is going nuts for them!

73. Tara

August 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm

these sound great!! any ideas on using something other than sugar as a sweetener?

74. Stephanie

August 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I assume it’s 350 degrees?

75. Helen

August 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Excited to try these! Must buy figs. Like claire, I’ll be using ground flax, and also Earth Balance vegan ‘butter’ so my son can eat these (dairy and egg allergies!)

76. claire

August 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’ve been waiting for this recipe!! But we have egg allergies :( would any of the egg replacers work for this? (ground flax, applesauce, etc.) Thank you! Love dried figs!!!

August 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I think the ground flax+water would work in this!

• AJ

September 17, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m in the same situation. My son has egg allergies (and milk allergies – although he is fine with milk in baked products) and we’ll definitely try this with either applesauce or the ground flax seed/water method… as we will with many of the recipes on this site! Just heard you on Morning Living and while I cook nearly everything we eat (because of the food allergies), I’m excited to think about getting my toddler involved in the process…

77. melisa

August 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I like these as well as the newtons thins. Any chance you have a recipe for those?

August 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I have been working on those, too!

78. Catherine

August 15, 2012 at 11:26 am

I will be making these as soon as I buy dried figs. I bet other dried fruits would work too.

August 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Absolutely!

79. Mellissa

August 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

oh yes, any ideas how to make adjustments for fresh figs? I just moved into a new house that has a fig tree out back, and I have no idea how to use them all!

• Alan

May 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Brandied figs keep very well and are delicious. Make a sugar syrup of 1 cup of sugar to 250 ml water and bring to boil. Place whole firm-ripe figs in syrup and cook 3 minutes or until heated thru but not cooked to soft.. Remove figs to steralised jars. Cool the syrup and half fill jar and top with a 5 star or XO brandy or cognac. The better the brandy the better the result. Seal and tip jars several times to mix the liquids and store in a dark cupboard for at least 3 months. Serve straight from the jar with some of the fig brandy liquid and a dollop of Greek yoghurt or double cream. Yum.

August 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Just roughly chop and puree the figs! They should come out to the correct consistency. Let me know how they turn out!

80. Melissa McKenna

August 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’m going to attempt these gluten free with coconut flour. If anyone has tips feel free to post.

81. diane

August 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

have you tried the Fig Newmans by Paul Newman? They are very good and healthier then the normal store bought ones.

• NicoleF

August 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Those are the best but SO pricey! I’ll make my own from now on :-)

82. Anne

August 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

Is thethe baking temperature 350 degrees?

August 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yes 350! Thanks. :)

83. Ruth

August 15, 2012 at 9:55 am

Questions about the recipe – it says to cut into bars before baking. Will this filling ooze out of the cookie during the baking process? Also, do you only leave the 1/2-in border on the long (12″) side of the dough (so that the first and last cookie in the log have figgy goodness throughout and don’t get shortchanged)? Thank you!

August 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

The filling does not ooze out. Yes, the half-inch border is just for the long side so you have a place to pinch the dough together!

84. Laura

August 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

I have been waiting for this type of recipe from you forever!! :) But…….if figs are not commonly available where you live, could you substitute another fruit filling, thereby making them a healthier version of cereal bars (a la nutrigrain types)? Could you suggest how to cook the filling so it is thick enough?
    Thank yo so much! I am so excited to try these out before school starts!

August 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I think you could do this with just about any dried fruit using the same method!

85. Myla

August 15, 2012 at 9:48 am

Do you think you could use jam in these like the raspberry or strawberry kind? I don’t have figs, but have all the rest of the ingredients on hand :)

August 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

You could use preserves if they are more like a thick paste and not very watery!

• Xiaojie

February 5, 2014 at 10:26 pm

The only thing about wearing a hat to the moveis though is that it can obstruct someone’s view.Advanced Style is my new ‘morning coffee’. I tune in around 7.30am and it gets me in a good headspace for the day. I work from home and can fall into the trap of checking my emails in my nightdress then I get caught up and before you know it is lunchtime. Not a bad thing, but checking out Advanced Style first thing has helped to change my approach. I get ‘dressed’ first as if I’m going out for the day, then I enter my study and feel so much more inspired and energised for the day ahead simply because of what I’m wearing. Thank you Debra and all the wonderful contributors this is fabulous gathering place.

86. Krystal

August 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

Could you use fresh figs? How would do it with fresh figs? I have a fig tree ready to burst! Thanks!!

August 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Just puree the figs in the food processor! No need to soak or anything.

87. Marishannon @ My Spirited Adventure

August 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

Oh yummy! I can’t wait to try these!