OK, so you didn't watch yesterday's video on how to cook perfect brown rice and now you've got a batch of sticky rice and don't know what to do with it.
Say hello to your new best friend Mexican Rice Balls. They fit perfectly in little hands and feature a chunk of gooey cheese the center which is like a surprise in every bite. Make these ahead of time, put them in the fridge, and just pop a few in the microwave or a steamer whenever you hear grumbling tummies in your house.
Mexican Rice Balls (makes 22 balls)
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese cubes (I use 4 cheese sticks cut into 6 pieces each)
1. In a pot, combine all of the ingredients* except the cheese, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the water and is cooked through. Leave pot covered and allow it to sit on the stove, off of the heat, for about 10 minutes.
2. When rice is cool enough to handle, take about 2 tablespoons of it with moist hands (to avoid sticking), place a cheese cube in the center, and roll into a ball. Continue with remaining rice and cheese.***
3. Place rice balls in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt the cheese. Alternatively, place the rice balls in a steamer pot over boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
* If you already have sticky rice on hand, just mix in the spices before forming around cheese cubes ** You can also use 1 tablespoon mexican seasoning instead of the cumin, paprika, oregano and garlic powder *** If not ready to eat immediately, place rice balls in refrigerator for up to two days. When ready to eat, proceed from step 3.