Say hello to your new best friend Mexican Rice Balls. They fit perfectly in little hands and feature a chunk of gooey cheese the center which is like a surprise in every bite.
OK, so you didn’t watch yesterday’s video on how to cook perfect brown rice and now you’ve got a batch of sticky rice and don’t know what to do with it.
At first glance it seems like just an ordinary sphere of brown rice. But take a closer look and you’ll see tiny flecks of aromatic spices clinging to the wholesome grains. Intrigued, you pick up the rice ball and pull it apart to inhale the wonderful smell. As the steam clears you see the hidden treasure nestled inside- melted cheddar cheese.
What is it about melted cheese that transforms almost any food into something irresistible? That ooey, gooey, tangy, salty bite of golden bliss that you’ll find inside every one of these Mexican Rice Balls testifies as to why they are so addictive–and kid-friendly.
Every (and I mean every) time I make these I can be guaranteed there will be no leftovers. In fact the last time I made them Chloe burst into tears because she said Kenya got more rice balls than she did. Note to self for next time_ double the recipe.
Make these ahead of time, put them in the fridge, and just pop a few in the microwave or a steamer whenever you hear grumbling tummies in your house.
Mexican Rice Balls
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese cubes (I use 4 cheese sticks cut into 6 pieces each)
- In a pot, combine all of the ingredients* except the cheese, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the water and is cooked through. Leave pot covered and allow it to sit on the stove, off of the heat, for about 10 minutes.
- When rice is cool enough to handle, take about 2 tablespoons of it with moist hands (to avoid sticking), place a cheese cube in the center, and roll into a ball. Continue with remaining rice and cheese.***
- Place rice balls in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt the cheese. Alternatively, place the rice balls in a steamer pot over boiling water for 1-2 minutes.