Sometimes I feel like we can spend so much time trying to jazz up a recipe, we lose sight of the power of simple ingredients. Take heirloom tomatoes for example. For me, there's truly nothing like the sweet, juicy taste of a gorgeous heirloom in summertime, either on its own or as the foundation for this straightforward, delicious tomato salad.
I've made it quite a bit this summer -- often at the request of my kids whenever they see heirloom tomatoes at our farmers' market -- and there are never leftovers. Every bite has a bright mix of fresh herbs, crunchy cucumbers, briny olives, and a light and refreshing Greek yogurt dressing. I shared the recipe with my friends at Whole Foods Market and they in turn offered up some of their favorite tomato tips_
* Heirlooms are classic varieties that are prized today because of their intense flavors, vibrant colors, and unique shapes. They're delicate, so they must be handpicked and packed.
* When shopping for heirloom tomatoes, be sure to choose ones that are heavy for their size and store them on the counter at home –- not in the refrigerator.
* Remember that heirlooms ripen quickly, so buy frequently and enjoy soon after purchase. Size and shape have no correlation with quality; large or small, they’re all delicious!
Cherokee Purples are generally my favorite when buying heirlooms, but here are several other gorgeous varieties with slightly different flavors that make this salad flavorful and mouthwatering_ Marvel Stripe, Brandywine, Evergreen, Black Prince, Sun Gold or Black Cherry, and small varieties like Pink Cherry, Red Grape and Red Pear.
Looking for more heirloom tomato recipes? These Heirloom Tomato BLT's were a huge hit in my house and I can't wait to make this Savory Corn Tart with Heirloom Tomatoes again. So run fast before summer is over and grab a big bag of these beauties to bring home!
The Heritage Cook_ Rice and Cheese Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes (Gluten-Free)
The Lemon Bowl_ 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Beef & Eggplant
Homemade Delish_ Sweet Tomato Jam
Healthy Eats_ 7 Seasonal Uses for Fresh Tomatoes
Creative Culinary_ Warm Tomato and Mozzarella Bruschetta
Weelicious: Heirloom Tomato Salad
Dishin & Dishes_ Cobb Salad with Homemade Roasted Onion Vinaigrette
Domesticate Me_ 10 Totally Awesome Tomato Recipes
Swing Eats_ Tiny Insalata Caprese
The Wimpy Vegetarian_ Tomato and Swiss Tart
Elephants and the Coconut Trees_ Tomato Pickle
Taste with the Eyes_ Quiche with a Black Quinoa Crust, Heirloom Tomatoes, Spinach, Goat Cheese
Red or Green_ Summer Pasta With No-Cook Tomato Sauce
Napa Farmhouse 1885_ Heirloom Tomato & Crouton Casserole (Scalloped Tomatoes)
The Mom 100_ Chopped Salad with Chicken, Tomatoes and Lemon Thyme Dressing
FN Dish_ 10 Ways to Be a Tomato Whisperer
Heirloom Tomato Salad (serves 6 )
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced persian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup pitted, sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup mixed herbs, torn into pieces (I used purple and green basil, cilantro, and chives)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. In a large salad bowl toss to combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and herbs, and sprinkle with the salt.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mustard and lemon juice to thoroughly combine.
3. Serve the dressing alongside the tomato salad.