Dried Cherry Seed Crisps

Dried Cherry Seed Crisps

Dried Cherry Seed Crisps

First, you see them: irresistible to the eye. Then you bite into one: crispy, crunchy, and instantly addictive. The first time I made a batch of these Dried Cherry Seed Crisps the kids and I had one, then another, then another. It's a good thing they're packed with so many nutritious ingredients as we almost knocked off the entire batch in one sitting.

What are they, you might ask? Have you ever tried Rainforest Crisps? They're a slightly sweet, crispy cracker you can find them at most health food stores -- even Trader Joe's has their own version -- but they're not exactly cheap and once there gone you'll find yourself immediately wanting to open another package. Luckily this recipe makes a good deal more crackers than the packaged brands, which come with a lot less.

I wanted my version of Rainforest Crisps to be suitable for snack or school lunch at nut-free schools, so I omitted the nuts and used only seeds. They are full of protein and contain to eggs. They are satisfyingly crunchy and the dried cherries give them just the right amount of sweetness. I suggest doubling the recipe because they're going to go fast!

Dried Cherry and Seed Crisps  (makes 6.5 dozen crackers)

• 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup dried cherries
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup whole flax seeds

1. 1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and maple syrup. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
  4. 4. Fold in the cherries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds.
  5. 5. Pour the batter into 3 greased mini loaf pans (5 3/4 inches x 3 1/4 inches). Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. I find that it is easier to cool them overnight.
  6. 6. Heat the oven to 325F.
  7. 7. Firmly hold the loaf on both sides with one hand. Using a serrated knife, carefully slice into 26 thin pieces, about 1/8 inch (the slices must be very thin in order to get crispy in the oven).
  8. 8. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until dark golden and crisp.
Dried Cherry and Seed Crisps

Comments

1. Kate

August 14, 2014 at 7:46 am

Awesome crisps! Just that recipe was enough to make my husband a Weelicious.com fan. My toddler daughter also likes them.

2. Dianne

December 23, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I don’t have white whole wheat flour. Will All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Four work? What combinations?

3. Lindsey

September 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I just made these. Delicious! They didn’t come out perfect – I didn’t slice them thin enough, but they still taste great!

4. Michele

September 9, 2013 at 9:45 am

Are the seeds raw or toasted(sunflower/pumpkin)?

Thanks,

September 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I used raw, but you can use either!

5. Tamara

September 8, 2013 at 11:34 am

I don’t have a mini loaf pan=/ If I make these in a regular loaf pan any ideas on how long to cook it? Or might it work better in a 9×9 pan?

September 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean! I would check it at 30 minutes, but it’ll probably go more like 45-50! :)

• Tamara

September 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I ended up using the 9×9 pan. It did take around 40 mins, and the ‘cake’ was really moist. But it worked out well to cut it into three ‘logs’ and then slice those.

• Jaime

February 2, 2014 at 11:44 am

Tamara – a 9 x 9 pan, cut into logs is BRILLIANT! I have a tiny 100 year old kitchen and can’t store too many specialized pans and equipments. What a great solution. Thanks!

6. Susanna Faygenbaum

September 6, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Can you use chia instead of flax?

• Jeannine Martin

November 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I used Chia instead of Sesame Seeds and they turned out great. Used the same amount as the recipe called for. Made 2 batches in a row. My kids seem to like them better before I made them crisps, husband liked the crisps. Of course!

September 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Oh I haven’t tried that, but I don’t see why not!

7. HeatherChristo

September 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

these look great! I feel like these would be beautiful served witha cheese platter too!

8. Carla Hollingsworth

September 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Can you give the nutrition information?

• Ismael

February 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Great info, if you also do some strength tiinrang as well as cardio you will burn the fat even faster, muscle helps burn fat. So add in some squats, lunges, deadlifts, the plank etc or joing a circuit trianing class which is great fun and will have you burning that fat off in no time.

9. alex clarkson

September 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

dried cherries add great twist to the crisps. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!!

10. Gaby

September 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

OMG. I am obsessed with rainforest crisps – but I’d totally rather make them at home!! this is the jackpot!

11. Janelle

September 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi Caroline, thank you for the great recipe. Do you think we can sub out the flax seeds for something? I don’t want to give my kids cooked flax because the omega 3 fat can’t withstand the heat. Thanks in advance!

September 4, 2013 at 3:40 pm

You could leave them out and replace with 1/4 cup of any of the other seeds in the recipe! Or just leave them out altogether and have fewer seeds in the crisps. :)

• April Amiel

September 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Then just don’t add them, leave them out…this is a really silly question. And I’m sure your kids will be just fine if they don’t get omega 3′s in their rainforest crisps. .

12. Tucker Mahoney

September 4, 2013 at 11:47 am

How would you recommend storing these? Do you think freezing some of the big batch would work? Always looking for good snacks to send to school with my toddlers!

September 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hmm I think you could freeze after slicing, but before baking for the second time. Then just add a minute or two to the baking time! :)

13. Katherine Cortes

September 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

I think I am confused about the pans. I assume they have to be thin- so wouldn’t a wide pan with lots of surface area work better?

September 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I like to use the mini loaf pans so that they come out to that classic shape after thinly slicing them!

14. Kasey

September 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

I love Rainforest Crisps, but you’re right they cost a fortune! I can’t wait to try making these at home! xo