Healthy Halloween

Tangerine Pumpkins + Banana Ghosts: Fruity Halloween

Tangerine Pumpkins and Banana Ghosts from Weelicious

Yum

Halloween is hands down the most challenging family-food holiday of the year. With the seemingly endless amounts of sugar and chocolate finding its way from trick or treat bags into our kids' tummies, many parents resign themselves, figuring Halloween is only one day or assuming it's impossible to get kids to eat anything healthy with so much junk around.

One strategy that has worked for me so far is a festive pre-trick or treating dinner at our friend's house complete with Halloween-themed dishes like Mummy Dogs and Pizza Mummies. We always make a great big salad to accompany them and this year I'll be introducing a new spooky take on fruit, these Banana Ghosts and Orange Pumpkins. Not only are they totally adorable, but they're actually good for you. Now that's a crazy thought on Halloween, isn't it?!

Tangerine Pumpkins and Banana Ghosts from Weelicious

Tangerine Pumpkins and Banana Ghosts from Weelicious

Tangerine Pumpkins + Banana Ghosts  (serves 4 )

• 4 bananas
  • 24 chocolate chips, regular sized and/or mini
  • 4 tangerines
  • 1 stalk celery

1. 1. Peel the bananas and cut them in half. Place the cut side down so the banana halves stand up.
  2. 2. Use small chocolate chips to make ghost eyes and large chocolate chips to make ghost mouths.
  3. 3. Peel the tangerines.
  4. 4. Cut the celery lengthwise into thirds and then across into 1/2 inch pieces. Insert the celery pieces the tops of the peeled tangerines to resemble pumpkins.
Tangerine Pumpkins + Banana Ghosts

Comments

1. Tiffany Banuelos

January 3, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Adorable idea!! I love that they are grab and go snacks!

2. Daisy Feeney

October 31, 2015 at 9:01 am

Great idea. My family used candy corns instead of chocolate chips for the eyes. They cut the orange section off the candy corn before inserting them. Some liquid from the candy corn dripped down the bannana like blood tears! So cool!

3. LINDA TURNER

February 5, 2015 at 5:29 am

4. Pingback: Hauntingly Healthy Halloween Snacks for Kids

5. Pingback: Last-Minute Halloween Food & Decor Guide

6. Pingback: Unfat & Healthy: Halloween Health | Mom Upside Down

7. Pingback: Happy healthy Halloween! | The Happy List

8. Pingback: Eat Clean, Halloween! | louisianafreshliving

9. Pingback: Manualidades para Halloween en cinco minutos | are you kiding?

10. Pingback: Healthy Halloween Treat Ideas « Detoxinista

11. Pingback: Halloween Food & Treat Ideas (Grain-Free, Sugar-Free) | GAPS Diet Journey

12. Pingback: 19 halloween food ideas

13. Pingback: Halloween Tricks to Avoid Treats - Get Waisted | Lose Weight, Gain Health. No pills, powders or points. Women in Madison lost almost 6 pounds in just two weeks.

14. Pingback: 10 Not-So-Spooky Ghost Crafts | Dollar Store Mom

15. Pingback: Dolci Mostruosi per Halloween: 9 (Orribili) Idee, Facili e Veloci | la Luna dei golosi

16. Pingback: Happy and Healthy Halloween! | Eat Smart, Move More

17. Kendra

October 21, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thank you! I’ve seen this around pinterest a few time and now I’m going to share it with my health clients and friends. Thanks! :) I just signed up for your emails as well. :)

18. Pingback: 13 Healthy Halloween Recipes

19. Pingback: My Belle Michelle » 20 Healthy & Fun Halloween Snacks {Halloween Candy & Sweets Alternative}

20. Pingback: Inspired – Halloween Breakfast | Knight and Day Events

21. Pingback: Don’t be Frightened – It’s Just Halloween! | Momagama SOMA

22. Pingback: Top 15 Paleo Halloween Treats & Party Food Ideas | Eat Drink Paleo

23. Pingback: Living|In the season:: SPOOKTACULAR HALLOWEEN | My little notebook

24. Pingback: "BOO"Berry Truffles | She Paused 4 Thought

25. Pingback: 10 Easy DIY Halloween Treats - the Keybie Cafe

26. Pingback: Escuela Infantil GRANVIA Vistahermosa » Archivo del weblog » 5 recetas de Halloween con fruta

27. Pingback: How to throw a pre-trick-or-treat party | Chickabug

28. Pingback: Top 5 Tips for a Healthy Halloween | Rockford Homes

29. Pingback: Don’t be Frightened – It’s Just Halloween! - Beauty News NYC - The First Online Beauty Magazine

30. Pingback: The Ultimate Fall Bucket List | Houston Moms Blog

31. Pingback: Sweet recipes: 8 ideas for Halloween treats - Lake Highlands

32. Pingback: 5 Easy Healthy Halloween Snacks for Kids - Be Ideal

33. Pingback: Halloween Treat Roundup

34. Pingback: Sweet recipes: 8 ideas for Halloween treats - Oak Cliff

35. Pingback: 10 Adorable Halloween Snack Recipes That You Need To Try

36. Pingback: Healthy Halloween Treats - Erica Samm Entertainment

37. Pingback: Healthy Halloween? Boo! How to Curb Obesity Without Being a Buzzkill

38. Pingback: Happy (Healthy) Halloween! | May We Be Allergy-Free

39. Pingback: Adorable & Healthy Halloween Treats | Koi Fitness Blog

40. Pingback: Hocus Pocus | 5 Easy Halloween Treats – Sweet Caroline Blog

41. Alison

October 30, 2013 at 7:53 am

Hi Alison

I plan to make these for the Halloween treat tomorrow. I will substitute a pretzel stick for the celery(stringy celery scares me with kids). Just wondering if chocolate chips for the ghost eyes/mouthwould be okay for Lexi. If not, do you have any

42. Pingback: 5 Vegan Pumpkin Spice Recipes with a Spooky Twist ~ Krrb Blog

43. Pingback: archerfriendly | Scaredy Cat Brownies

44. Pingback: Fiestas de Halloween con Niños

45. Melody Smith

October 25, 2013 at 5:58 am

great ideas!!!

46. Pingback: 31 Halloween Party Ideas - White Lights on Wednesday

47. Pingback: Stuff I've Gotta Share and You've Gotta See | Recipe Girl

48. Pingback: Don’t Let Halloween Scare You! How To Make The Holiday A Happy One For Parents Too | Rainbow Plate ™

49. Susan Heilman

October 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Well said Nicole— You internet police guys need to relax! Who cares where it came from I’m glad I can go to one site to get all the latest and coolest ideas. Who has time to sit on the computer for hours looking at every website known to man….. Wow there are way too many people with too much time on there hands that could be better spent on much more life affirming ventures.. Seriously how would another link to another website make a difference for the reader even if the idea was in twenty other places? Or does it makes ourselves feel important to try and shine negativity on others or get them with a “Gotcha” moment— honestly I don’t get it. So you assume Catherine tried to pass this off as an original idea that no one ever thought of……. She never came across that way just a new idea for Weelicious. If you follow her then you know she would not present herself that way intentionally. She always promotes other bloggers, cookbooks and sites. If you don’t like Weelicious and come here to find things to gripe about please keep it to yourselves. Remember you are making a choice when you visit a website or blog. I normally never comment but this was way too much. Catherine thank you so much for all your hard work and inspiration. Your response below was very classy and professional I’m sorry you are not always afforded with the same courtesy.

50. Pingback: Trick or Treat? 10 Creepy Halloween Fruit and Veg | The Vegan Woman

51. Kayla Edwards

October 18, 2013 at 11:59 am

omg ppl chill the heck out this is such a well known recipe that she probably didnt know where to give credit..u know what we are all lucky that she posts up cute ideas on here for all of us to see id really appriciate it if u keep your rude assumptions to yourselfs. A lot of her recipes are her own but when she finds something cool im glad she shares that with us too on no where does it say she came up with this and yes it does frippin say the word “new” but it doesnt say new recipe I made so what if she just meant here ia somethin I newly tried or something new to u to try why do yall have to hate if u dont like theb dont click on it ppl can be so childish like I said ur lucky she does this for us and id truly appriciate if ud mind your own stinking business and stop assuming so this isnt ruined for everyone else take ur bashfest elsewhere

52. Pingback: Allergy-Friendly Halloween Treats - Plate It Safe

53. Pingback: Friday’s Letters | Trisha's Training Tidbits

54. Pingback: A Roundup of 50 Healthy Halloween Treats | Hungry Healthy Girl

55. Pingback: This and That | Week 63 | Two Peas & Their Pod

56. Nicole

October 16, 2013 at 11:07 pm

As a former English teacher, I just had to pipe up on this discussion. If something is popular and well known, it’s actually incorrect to site a source. This is true because the source you’re citing may not be the original source either. This is the same reason you don’t see quotation marks around common phrases, anecdotes, etc… As a big fan of weelicious, I also want to say that this site is full of fantastic recipes, Catherine’s books are amazing, and these comments really defy the purpose of this blog. Although a lot of recipes in the blog are creative, easy, healthy, and approachable, the real purpose is to give parents the bravery and knowledge they need to bring healthy food into their family’s lives.

57. April Gaietto

October 14, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Did the banana ghost idea come to you when you made those spotty bananas some weeks ago for school lunch? So cute! ! My daughter loves cuties!

58. jayne clothier -smith

October 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm

great

59. amanda

October 14, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Great idea! I did not want to peel all those oranges to bring to my son’s school for his snack day. So, insted, I took a marker and drew on Jack-O’Lantern faces! :)

• Dennis

February 2, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Keads, Sun Tzu would also tell you that there’s never been a fortress built that can’t be brehcaed by a determined army.I offer advice on survival, and I’m prepared to survive. That’s why I live here in the West, where Grand Juries will seldom convict (so the DA doesn’t charge) homeowners who use deadly force at any level to defend themselves. The key, of course, is that you have to be defending YOURSELF, and that your circumstances are that you are reacting to a threat on your, or someone else’s life.By all means, get a stout storm door. I don’t have one of those, simply because of the fact that I keep my doors locked, and breakage of the door by an intruder creates that deadly-force scenario in MY mind, and will also in the minds of the Grand Jury. I practice shooting just so I may prevail in these possible challenges to my life security.I don’t know where you live, Keads, but I’d wager that if you check the law AND IT’S APPLICATION out well, you would find that your are actually permitted to use lethal force to defend yourself, you’ve just been told by anti-gun folks that you can’t.

60. Jamie

October 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm

So adorable!! I am going to make these;) it would be fun to put the bananas on Popsicle sticks and freeze them as a tasty treat! So fun!! Thank you for all of your great ideas;)

61. Lakeisha

October 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

How easy is that! How creative!

62. Katherine

October 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I love Weelicious!

63. Chrystal Terhune

October 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I agree, usually in something like this where you publish cookbooks, etc. It is nice to provide a source to where you found the original recipe, etc. It would just be nice to know if it is a Weelicous original or an idea found on pintrest, etc

64. Maurine Cole

October 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

I think this is more of a share an idea kind of thing, as are many recipes on many websites. It is just another way to disseminate the information as people may read Weelicious but not be on Pinterest or the likes. I make these cutie pumpkins too but use snap pea halves as the stems. Question, any idea how to keep the bananas from turning brown? Would love to bring them as the preschool snack next week….

October 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

You’ll either need to wrap the bananas in something like plastic wrap so that no air gets to them, or sprinkle them with diluted lemon juice. Or you can just make them close to serving time! I left these on my counter for about 2 hours without them turning brown!

65. Chrystal Terhune

October 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

I am just curious are your recipes original, I have seen these before on Pintrest?

October 16, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for everyone’s comments about originality. I too am quite sensitive to the subject as I’ve seen other sites using Weelicious recipes for years. I try not to worry about it. When I’m inspired by another recipe I credit or link to the source. In this case my babysitter showed me a pic on Facebook of the bananas and oranges, but I couldn’t find a source link and tried to find one. I love that it matters enough to you as well. As this is more of an idea than a recipe and I’m always trying to offer healthier ideas for Halloween I wanted to share it. I hope you get to try it too!

• Chrystal Terhune

October 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thanks for clarifying Catherine, I was just looking for you to respond and really curious! I do love your recipes!

• Jenny L

October 15, 2013 at 6:17 am

I am wondering the same thing. I’m sure some ideas are original but this is not the first time I’ve seen this happen on Weelicious. Someone also pointed out to me that her carrot cake pancakes are practically identical to Cooking Light’s Carrot Cake Pancakes. But no credit due there either.

• Shannon

October 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I’ve seen these shared around on Facebook for a couple of months now.

• Katherine

October 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm

In all fairness to Catherine, nowhere here did she say she created this idea herself. It’s rude in insinuate she also doesn’t have original recipes.

• Bridgette

October 15, 2013 at 8:51 am

Well said Kelly & Shannon. I’ve been questioning her copying recipes at least a few times already. I once asked her on a post but she deleted my post instead.

• Kelly S.

October 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I agree with Shannon. I pinned this on Pinterest last year. There is nothing wrong with borrowing ideas, but when you do so you have a responsibility to give credit to your original source. Thus, simply “not saying” that it was an original idea does not let you off the hook. In academia, using someone’s idea without explicitly giving them credit is called plagiarism. The same spirit of intellectual and creative honestly should apply here.

• Shannon

October 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I am definitely a huge fan of Weelicious and I know that her recipes are original – I have enjoyed many of them. So when I saw this is definitely stood out. True, she never stated that she created the recipe, but it does say “this year I’ll be introducing a new spooky take on fruit.” Highlight on NEW. This isn’t a new idea. Catherine is not an amateur blogger. This is a professional site, and as a professional I think somewhere in this post it should state, “Look what recipe I found to share,” or a link to where she found it.