Green Apple Juice + How I Get My Kids to Drink Their Greens!

Green Juice 2

Happy New Year!

I'm thrilled that 2014 is here. Not that I didn't enjoy devouring everything from sour cream coffee cakes, to pounds of ham and turkey, to enough cookies over the past two weeks to sink a ship, but I do love clean living and am happy to get back to it. I'm even more shocked though that my kids miss healthy food when there isn't any around.

Just last week we were at a restaurant and when I asked Kenya what he wanted to drink he asked the waiter if they had green juice. Seems kind of weird for an almost 7 year old to be ordering of his own free will something green, but I truly believe kids get what their bodies need if you simply make good foods available to them -- they will often even seek it out.

Early last year when I picked my kids up after school, I started bringing them a green apple or pineapple juice made with kale in the blender. My friend Jackie originally told me that she did it for her kids and I thought it was a brilliant idea. Generally the first thing out of my kids' mouths when they see me in the afternoon is, "did you bring me a snack?" They're also generally beyond thirsty after school, so it's a perfect time to watch them guzzle something delicious and good for them to boot.

I challenge you to get your kids involved with this recipe. Buy all the ingredients and then have them make it with you. That's how this drink became popular in our family. At first there was some resistance but now my little ones actually request it. So get out the blender and start your 2014 off with a bang knowing that you and your family are filling your bodies with lots of nutritious (and yummy) fuel!

Green Apple Juice  (makes 2 cups )

Happy New Year! I'm thrilled that 2014 is here. Not that I didn't enjoy devouring everything from sour cream coffee cakes, to pounds of ham and turkey, to enough cookies over the past two weeks to sink a ship, but I do love clean living and am happy...

• 1 whole apple, chopped,
  • or 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
  • 1 cup packed chopped kale
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • honey, to taste

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. 2. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into cups and serve.
Green Apple Juice

Comments

1. brittdietz

May 29, 2014 at 10:34 am

Can’t wait to try this

2. Michaela

May 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

THANK YOU for this amazing drink! My little girl had low iron and I was instructed by her Pediatrician to give her greens. Ya, good luck with a picky toddler… I tried this out and she absolutely LOVES this juice. Iron levels are now perfect and my little girl gets so excited when she sees her “geen oos” :))))

3. Amanda

April 21, 2014 at 9:23 am

Green apple juice

4. joana

March 5, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Love this site

5. maryam

March 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm

This is amazing! And I am a big fan of you, I just have 14 years but I love so much cooking and you’ve inspired me a lot, my mother gave me your books and they are super AMAZING
    Thank you for all your recipes Catherine!

6. scarletfires

March 3, 2014 at 9:25 am

Loved this recipe- fresh, light and delicious! My 15 month old son asked for more.

I used a little over a cup of kale. Definitely need to strain it though. I used a mesh strainer and held the juice over a measuring cup and used the back of a spoon to press the juice out of the veggie fiber.

7. Pingback: Juicer-Free – Green Apple Juice | hearthomemade

8. Pingback: Daily Moments – Week 3 | About A Boy

9. Kristina

January 19, 2014 at 11:23 am

I have run out of green kale – would purple kale work? This juice is a wonderful drink!

10. fabdvamommy

January 12, 2014 at 9:26 pm

My little one loves this! Had to go out and get more apples so i could have enough on hand so he could have more during the week.

11. Lindy

January 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

Do you peel the apple? Can’t wait to make this for my boys to try! Thanks!

• Catherine McCord

January 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I didn’t! If there are any too big chunks left after blending, they’ll be strained out!

12. Kim Beaulieu

January 7, 2014 at 12:33 am

My son would go crazy for this. He moved out last year and he’s now having some health issues. Going to forward this to him, trying to get him to do some healthy drinks he heads off the U for the day.

13. Julie

January 6, 2014 at 7:59 am

Do you usually use a green apple or red?

• Catherine McCord

January 6, 2014 at 12:16 pm

My favorite is Pinky Lady or Gala, but you can definitely use any apple!

14. Greta

January 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I usually use a juicer to make the kids’ juices. Any reason to use a blender instead of a juicer in this case?

15. Lisa

January 3, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Just made this with my toddler assisting. Being on a tight budget, we took the solids that were strained out, added a bit more pineapple and a splash of apple juice to the blender, then put it in the freezer and raked it with a fork every so often to make a granita. He scarfed it down!

16. Angel1122

January 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Looks great! But do you lose any nutrition by straining it?

• Catherine McCord

January 6, 2014 at 1:50 am

Nope. The pulp leftover after straining should be very little and is mostly just fiber. Which of course is a good thing to have, but straining that bit out doesn’t loose too much nutrition.

17. Ludicrous Mama

January 3, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Any acid will work to cut the greens flavor, so orange or lime juice, or even a splash of vinegar (you don’t taste it!) since I’m allergic to citrus.

18. Kayla

January 2, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I can’t wait to have a new house that has more room to keep my juicer out! By then, my daughter will be almost a year and I could start introducing some fresh juice to her sippy cup! I try to have her eat more veggies than fruits right now so that she doesn’t have a love for sweets. I would drink the crap out of those!

19. Heather D

January 2, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Thanks! My new years resolution is to make healthy smoothies and purees with the blender. I will keep it out on the counter now!

20. Geneva

January 2, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Excited to try this! How long can this last in the refrigerator? Or must you serve it immediately? Thank you!

• Ludicrous Mama

January 3, 2014 at 6:18 pm

The nutrients will start breaking down immediately though, so the sooner the better. Maybe freeze in cubes (freezes faster for less nutrient loss) if not planning to drink right away.

• Catherine McCord

January 2, 2014 at 5:13 pm

You can keep it in the fridge for about 3 days!

21. Joan

January 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Yum! My 2.5 year old drank it up without any sweetener, I used spinach. Do you discard the pulp or have you added it to other recipes? I’m thinking muffins or scones.

22. Devon

January 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Great idea. Do they drink it in the car? Any recs for good travel thermos for smoothies?

23. April

January 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Would it be possible to use frozen kale and maybe reduce the water amount a bit? Thanks.

24. Julie

January 2, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Do you think this can be made the night before and stored in the fridge? I work until 3:45, take a bus to a P&R, and pick up the kids at 4:30. I would rather not run home first to make a healthy smoothie only to pick them up closer to 5:00. =)

• Ludicrous Mama

January 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Freeze it in cubes (freezes and thaws faster that way) and then just drag your cup of cubes around. The nutrients start breaking down right away, so you want to drink or freeze as soon as possible.

• sandra

January 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm

sorry….I meant “Julie”. Good luck with this….my grandchildren love green smoothies anytime.

• sandra

January 2, 2014 at 2:46 pm

@april….fresh made juices are meant to drink right away or freeze them otherwise the nutrient value greatly declines. Perhaps you could make it fresh in the morning and serve it for part of breakfast…or make it the night before, freeze it in single serving containers for the kids and it will be defrosted and still cold by lunch.

25. Crayons and croissants

January 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I love this idea! We enjoy healthy homemade Popsicles and our favorite ones use greens and pineapple:
    I’ll have to add this juice into the rotation!

26. Kate

January 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I like the idea of bringing it to school when they are ready to put just about anything in their mouths. Yum!