cheddar cheese puffs

Cheddar Cheese Puffs

Cheddar Cheese Puffs

Yum

This recipe really has no business appearing here during a "New Year get back to health" period, but come on, you've got to live a little! What better way than with a cheddar cheese puff or two? I made these over the holidays as a little appetizer to pass around at parties, but my kids quickly proclaimed them a favorite after school snack and lunch box treat. Somewhere between a soft cracker and a tiny scone, each one of these Cheddar Cheese Puffs is coated with your choice of either sesame or poppy seeds although they are equally delicious naked, without seeds.

Light and fluffy with a deep cheddar flavor throughout, I have a feeling these cheddar cheese puffs will be finding their way onto my Super Bowl menu too!

Cheddar Cheese Puffs 2

Cheddar Cheese Puffs  (makes 90 puffs)

• 1 cup all purpose four
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 tablespoons sesame or poppy seeds, optional

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. 2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, cheese, butter and salt. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
  3. 3. Add the milk and pulse until the mixture forms a ball.
  4. 4. Using a 1 teaspoon measure, roll the dough into balls, then roll in the poppy seeds or sesame seeds, if desired.
  5. 5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
  6. Note: You can use 2 teaspoons per ball to make larger puffs, and add 2 minutes to the cooking time.
Cheddar Cheese Puffs

Comments

1. Kathy

August 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Do you think these would work with gouda cheese?

2. Mish

July 26, 2014 at 6:27 am

Do you have a preference for the type of cheddar, either a brand or a sharpness level? I have made mac & cheese and sometimes the success of the mac & cheese depends on what type of cheddar I am using. I was thinking of Tillamook sharp cheddar for this recipe, but I wondered if you had a preference.
    Thanks!

3. ambs

April 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

Can you use a blender instead of food processor?

4. Lilian

February 24, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I just made it yesterday. They are great but taste quite salty. Any suggestion? Is it because the cheese is salty?!

5. Stephanie

February 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm

These are perfect for my toddler! Do they need to be refrigerated after baking?

6. Melanie

February 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I just mad them and they are great! How do you store these? Can you leave them out or do they need to be in the refrigerator.?

7. stacie

January 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

so, I gave these a try and they were ‘ok’ to me. Reminded me of the cheese crackers recipe. I found them to be kind of greasy (it’s butter and cheese so I guess that’s to be expected :o) I added cut up pepperoni, fennel seed, italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a small portion of the dough and made some “pizza sticks”… I like the taste of these a little better because of the other flavors. I don’t think I’ll be making them again though unfortunately :o(

8. Ashlee

January 20, 2014 at 9:37 am

These are so delicious! I added some red chili flakes to one tray for my husband to give them some extra kick!

9. Mamta

January 19, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I made these with gluten free flour and they were amazing! My 2 boys ate almost an entire sheet’s worth! I didn’t get 90 puffs but we made these together so I didn’t size them with a tsp or tbsp. I probably got about 40 though…

10. Evangeline

January 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Would this work with a smoothie blender? My food processor has given up on me.. :P

11. Pingback: Cheesy Cheddar Balls | SamLovesBaking

12. Marilynn

January 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I just made these, they are really good! I made a half recipe and I used a teaspoon measure as suggested and I got 27, ha ha, nowhere near half of 90 and also they cooked up faster than 15 minutes. I used a combination of cheeses, comte, cheddar and champagne cheddar. You could probably get 3 cups of cheese out of one package of cheddar.

13. Stacy

January 16, 2014 at 3:39 pm

What’s the best way to freeze these?

14. kristen

January 16, 2014 at 3:30 pm

If you don’t have a bowl food processor, can you use a stand mixer?

15. Kendra

January 16, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Do you think this would work with white whole wheat flour? That’s what I have on hand right now-any reason it wouldn’t work well? Thanks!

• Catherine McCord

January 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

I think it will work! Someone else made them with whole wheat flour and the only difference was that they didn’t flatten out as much!

16. jkdm81

January 16, 2014 at 1:22 pm

If you grate the cheese yourself, how much would you say it takes? I’m guessing 20 oz, but not sure and don’t want to overbuy.

• Catherine McCord

January 17, 2014 at 11:19 am

About 1 1/2 small blocks of cheese.

• Katie

January 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm

2 cups of shredded cheese is 8oz, so I’m thinking 12oz would be the correct amount.

17. Meredith

January 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Have you ever tried with whole wheat flour?

• Catherine McCord

January 17, 2014 at 11:20 am

I haven’t personally, but someone posted a photo on our Facebook page that they had tried whole wheat with great results!

18. ruby

January 16, 2014 at 12:55 pm

These look delicious! Do you think this would work with whole wheat flour or even white whole wheat flour? How long do they keep?

Thanks!

• Catherine McCord

January 17, 2014 at 11:20 am

They keep for about 1 week. You can freeze them, too! Yes, I think either of those flours would work great!

• Shannon G

July 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

How do you thaw them once they are frozen?