Mexican food and pizza are two "bingo" foods in my house. All I have to do is utter the word pizza and both of my kids get excited. Mexican food is almost equally as popular with them. Marrying the two in these Mexican Tortilla Pizzas was, as I suspected, a match made in heaven as far as both of my kids were concerned, especially since they got to eat and make them.
I let the kids put whole wheat tortillas on baking sheets, cover them with refried beans (alternatively, mashed white, pinto or black beans work great), salsa and heaping handfuls of cheese. Then I simply tossed them in the oven for 15 minutes. These pizzas come out all bubbly and golden. You can sprinkle scallions and scoop a dollop of sour cream on top or eat them just as they are for a majorly delicioso/deliziosa meal!
In other news_ I found this new way to follow some of my favorite blogs called Blog Lovin! It's so much fun and a great way to see what different sites are up to everyday. Thrilled if you Follow Weelicious with Bloglovin! I can't wait to hear what you think, so let me know in the comments below!
Mexican Tortilla Pizza (Serves 2 )
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans*
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet.
3. Spread 1/4 of the refried beans across the surface of each tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge.
4. Top with 1/4 of the salsa and cheese, and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted, and the tortillas are crisp.
5. Top with sour cream and green onions.
* You can substitute mashed white, pinto or black beans.