YeeHaaa! Vegan Cowgirl Cookies are here and you're going to want to gobble them up! The first time I made them my husband said " I've never heard of a Cowgirl Cookie". It's one of those cookies you would want to eat out on the range or after a long hike or in our case after a long day of school. These are a close cousin to one of our all time favorite Nature Cookies. Crunchy from the oats with tons of texture from the addition my secret ingredient Rice Crispies, unsweetened coconut, nuts or seeds and delectable chocolate chunks in every bite! The first time I made these Vegan Cowgirl Cookies I gave a few dozen to friends and teachers at our kids school and had a big container worth remaining. Hubby with always remember the name of these bad boys from hear on out as he ate 7 in one sitting. They're that addictive!
The first time I made these Vegan Cowgirl Cookies I gave a few dozen to friends and teachers at our kids school and had a big container worth remaining. Hubby will always remember the name of these bad boys from here on out as he ate 7 in one sitting. He loves vegan foods (especially cookies), so you better watch out when there are treat around. The kids came home that afternoon wanting one of the cookies I had made the day prior only to find the container barren. Luckily I had tossed a few scoops of cookie dough in the freezer so I could quickly bake them up before a revolt began.
Since they're made without eggs or dairy and able to be made with seeds instead of nuts if desired, they're a great option if you have specific allergies. They're irresistible on their own, but also great served with a a handful of sugar snap peas and a Mini Babybel. Whether you're a vegan or not, these Vegan Cowgirl Cookies will be a recipe you'll have bookmarked for years to come!
This post contains affiliate links for which I receive payment. While I receive compensation as a brand ambassador, all opinions are my own.
Photos by Matt Armendariz
Vegan Cowgirl Cookies (makes 2 dozen cookies)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup rice krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseeds and water. Allow to sit 5 minutes.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a handheld mixer, cream together the shortening and sugars.
4. Add the flaxseeds and vanilla, and mix to combine well.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Mix in the oats, rice krispies, chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut until combined well.
7. Using an ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoon scoop, place the dough onto a silpat-lined baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden and set.