We’ve been having a lot of fun doing impromptu polls on the weelicious Facebook page. The other day I asked the question “do your kids like avocados?” and overwhelming number people responded. Not only did most parents say that their kids like avocado, they said they love them! Avocados are heavenly — creamy, smooth and delicious — but did you know they’re actually a fruit (for years I thought they were a vegetable)?
A few years ago I did a recipe for Guacamol-wee, which was designed to be an introduction for babies to this tasty dip. This Big Kid Guacamole is the next step up — for a kid that really loves the stuff! Whether you’re making Black Bean Cakes, Nachos, Fish Tacos or any other Mexican-inspired weelicious recipe, this guacamole will add an extra dimension of flavor and nutrition and your kids will love it!
Big Kid Guacamole
- 3 avocados
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- tortilla chips
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop the flesh out into a medium size bowl and using a spoon or fork, mash the avocado. Allow a few small chunks to remain.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Serve with tortilla chips.