One of my friends, Diane, has never been the most passionate cook in the world, especially when it comes to cooking for herself. But when she had kids, that all changed. Diane is my favorite militant mom when it comes to making sure her kids eat totally balanced, healthy meals. Compared to her, I look like Willy Wonka!
I was inspired by a picture Diane sent me of her brood devouring frozen bananas on a stick with huge smiles on their faces. Reminding me of one of my own childhood favorites, I couldn’t help but take Diane’s treat one step further and coat them with a drizzle of chocolate and a few toppings before freezing. Just a little bit goes a long way towards creating a truly heavenly treat, and when you’re looking for an inexpensive after-school or camp snack, these frozen bananas on a stick are a total crowd pleaser!
Frozen Bananas on a Stick
- 4 large bananas, peeled and cut in half
- 8 wooden skewers, chopsticks or popsicle sticks
- 1/2 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- dye-free sprinkles, coconut flakes, crushed graham crackers, crushed nuts, crushed pretzels, hemp seeds
- Carefully skewer each banana piece with a stick, and place desired toppings in shallow bowls.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat in microwave for 30-60 seconds, stirring halfway through, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate all over the bananas, then sprinkle with your desired toppings.
- Place chocolate coated bananas on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours, up to overnight.