This nut-free Hemp Seed Pesto recipe is simple, fast and the perfect topping on your favorite pasta, pizza, avocado toast or really anything your heart desires!
What is Hemp Seed Pesto?
Hemp seed pesto is a variation of traditional Italian pesto sauce that uses hemp seeds as a main ingredient instead of pine nuts. Not only are hemp seeds a great source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids (I love putting them in smoothies, pancakes and protein balls), they also make this recipe safe for people with nut allergies! It is so easy to make and such a great way to take a simple dish like pasta to the next level.
Why We Love Hemp Seed Pesto
- Easy to make – Once you have the ingredients you need for this recipe, the only other step is pushing the button on your food processor. It really couldn’t be easier.
- It’s versatile – Pesto of any kind is a great addition to tons of recipes. Add it to your favorite pasta, sandwich or on top of your eggs in the morning. You can even use it as the base for your homemade pizzas instead of a red sauce.
- It’s healthy – Hemp seeds are high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids so this pesto ends up being super good for you. Plus, it’s downright delicious!
Ingredients for Nut-Free Pesto
- fresh basil leaves
- hemp seeds
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- lemon juice
- parmesan or vegan cheese
Recipes to Use Pesto
More Easy Pesto Recipes
Recipe Tip: How to Freeze Pesto
Homemade pesto freezes really well which is the best! This way you get to have it on hand any time of year, whether fresh basil is in season or not. Just pop a few tablespoons into freeze or ice cube trays, so you have them at the ready!
What’s your favorite way to use pesto? Pasta, pizza, salad or something else? Tag me on social media if you make this recipe and let me know!
Images by Ivan Solis
Hemp Seed Pesto
- Food Processor
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup parmesan or vegan cheese, if desired
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and puree until desired texture.
- Serve tossed with pasta or over avocado toast or any other recipes you need pesto for.
i seen you use the pesto on toast w the cherry tomatoes. What is the white spread under it? is it like a cream cheese?