Ice cream for breakfast? Absolutely! Especially if it’s a healthy recipe like this Yogurt, Cinnamon & Honey “Ice Cream”. Since there’s tons of protein and calcium in the yogurt and no refined sugar, eating a scoop of it’s a perfect way to start (or finish) your kid’s day.
In our house, we eat ice cream any time of day. I’m not talking Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s. The reason ice cream is an anytime treat in our house is because we make homemade an Italian version of ice cream called gelato and ours contains no refined sugar.
My husband goes to our local ice cream store at least once a week to get a cup of yogurt gelato, so we were inspired to make our own version using honey to sweeten it and giving it some added depth with cinnamon. It’s heavenly and those are the only ingredients. Since this gelato is made with greek yogurt, it’s high in both protein and calcium which are important for little ones and their growing bodies.
So, whenever you want to give your crew a special treat that’s also good for them, just head for the freezer, put a couple of scoops of this “ice cream” in everybody’s bowls and watch the smiles light up light up the room. No matter what time of day.
Yogurt, Cinnamon and Honey Ice Cream
- 16 ounces greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into an ice cream maker and chill according to manufacturers directions (I have a Cuisinart Supreme Ice Cream Maker and it took 30 minutes).
- Place the mixture in the freezer to firm up, about 1-2 hours.
- *If you don’t own an ice cream maker, no worries, this mixture can be poured into popsicle molds and frozen for 6 hours or longer.