OK. It's Christmas morning. Everyone else in the house is relaxing. However, YOU'RE exhausted, YOU feel like you've been cooking, shopping and entertaining non stop since Thanksgiving and you STILL have to make one more dish for brunch. When I tell you this strata couldn't be easier, I mean it. The bonus is that kids love it too. And really, what's not to love? Eggs, cheese, bread and sausage....yummy. Best of all, you can make it the night before, refrigerate it and all you have to do is throw it in the oven Christmas morning. I made so much recently that Kenya wound up having Breakfast Strata and then Dinner Strata for 2 nights in a row! He loved every bite.
Christmas Morning Breakfast Strata (Serves 12)
- 1 Lb Ground Breakfast Sausage (I used chicken apple sausage)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced (I like to use cremini or white)
- 2 Tsps salt, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Loaf Italian Bread, Ciabatta or Baguette (crusty bread), cut into 1 inch cubes (about 8 cups of bread) *Also a great way to use up day old bread
- 1 1/2 Dozen Large Eggs (18)
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Butter for baking the dish
Preparation1. Cook the sausage in a saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes, breaking it into bite size pieces. Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, 1 tsp of salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees for
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs, 1 tsp salt and milk. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
4. Butter the 13×9 inch baking dish and add the bread cubes and cooled sausage mixture. Toss to combine.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage, pressing the bread mixture down gently to soak up some of the egg mixture.
6. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Uncover the dish and continue to bake an additional 20 minutes.