Sweet Gingery Tofu

sweet-gingery-tofu.jpg

I made this sweet gingery tofu with a friend who has 4 kids, age 4 to 14, and she was convinced this would be a pretty tough sell to all four of them come dinner time. I think she was actually laughing at me because the thought of her whole family eating tofu together was absurd. I feel so vindicated! She called me the night she prepared it and said the kids were actually fighting over who got the last piece. Seriously, this recipe is THAT good!

The dish is so easy because you probably have most of the ingredients on hand, you only need one dish to mix them all in AND it's inexpensive to make: less then $3 for 4 servings! Serve it with some edamame and brown rice and you have a protein, carb and vegetable that makes for the perfectly balanced, asian-inspired meal.

Sweet Gingery Tofu  (Serves 4)

• 1 pound of firm or extra firm tofu, rinsed
  • 1/4 cup mirin
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce or braggs
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • sesame seeds, for garnish

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Wrap the tofu in a clean dish towel and weight down for 10 minutes to remove excess water.
  3. 3. Cut tofu into even 1/2 inch slices.
  4. 4. Mix the remaining ingredients in a 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
  5. 3. Mix tofu into marinade and bake for 40-45 minutes.
  7. * This sauce could also be used for baking fish or chicken. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
Sweet Gingery Tofu

Comments

1. Alexandra

January 8, 2014 at 9:18 am

Should we use toasted sesame oil or plain raw oil?
    Thanks!

• Catherine McCord

January 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

You can use either! I usually have toasted in my fridge!

2. Katherine

November 18, 2013 at 9:53 am

YUM…sounds delicious! I’m always looking for new marinade recipes for tofu.

3. fbtena

April 26, 2013 at 12:35 am

Unfortunately, my almost-two year old did not like this.

4. Pingback: Tofu is my new friend! - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

5. Ruth

August 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

Made this on salmon – it was so good! If you can’t find mirin (sweet cooking sake), you could sub a sweet white wine.

6. samantha y

April 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Any mirin substitution suggestions?

7. Sara G.

February 26, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for this recipe, Catherine! Love love love Weelicious!

8. Gina

September 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I have made this dish 2 times and each time it was delicious! Will be making again tomorrow night with exactly your side serving suggestions of edamame and brown rice!

9. Kimberly

June 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

This was so wonderful! Served it with rice and sugar snap peas. Sophisticated enough for an adult’s pallet but kid pleasing as well and I have a 2.5 year old.

10. Olive's Mom

January 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

i’m going to try this tonight. i don’t usually make tofu. can you refrigerate leftovers and reheat later? thanks!

11. Pris

January 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm

if you were to use chicken, would you need to marinate it first? and for how long?

January 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I would marinate it for for hour or even over night :)

12. Pingback: rainberryblue :: surviving tofu :: April :: 2009

13. Pingback: rainberryblue :: menu plan monday: april 20 - 26 :: April :: 2009

14. Pingback: Sunflower Rice Bowl | Tasty Tofu Recipes

15. Pingback: Shredded Salad with Tofu and Peanut Sauce over Rice Noodles | Tasty Tofu Recipes

16. Pingback: Thai Tofu Stir Fry | Tasty Tofu Recipes

17. Pingback: Thai Tofu Stir Fry - Better With a Wok | Tasty Tofu Recipes

18. Ann

February 18, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Hi Catherine – this sounds great! Should I use firm, medium or soft tofu, or does it not matter? Thanks! Ann

19. Kristin Olsen

February 18, 2009 at 9:31 am

This recipe sounds really good, but I’m not sure what mirin is??