I made this sweet gingery tofu with a friend who has 4 kids, age 4 to 14, and she was convinced this would be a pretty tough sell to all four of them come dinner time. I think she was actually laughing at me because the thought of her whole family eating tofu together was absurd. I feel so vindicated! She called me the night she prepared it and said the kids were actually fighting over who got the last piece. Seriously, this recipe is THAT good!
The dish is so easy because you probably have most of the ingredients on hand, you only need one dish to mix them all in AND it's inexpensive to make_ less then $3 for 4 servings! Serve it with some edamame and brown rice and you have a protein, carb and vegetable that makes for the perfectly balanced, asian-inspired meal.
Sweet Gingery Tofu (Serves 4)
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sesame Seeds, for garnish
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cut tofu into even 1/2 inch slices.
4. Mix the remaining ingredients in a 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
3. Mix tofu into marinade and bake for 40-45 minutes.
* This sauce could also be used for baking fish or chicken. Adjust cooking time accordingly.