Chocolate Tofu Pudding - Weelicious

Chocolate Tofu Pudding

chocolate-tofu-pudding.jpg

Yum

Tofu is one of those amazingly versatile foods that you can use in so many different ways. It’s flavor is neutral, allowing it to take on and absorb the flavors of whatever you are cooking with. Using it as a base in dips and sauces is delicious, but have you ever made a creamy pudding out of it? This chocolate tofu pudding is so silky and tasty, I guarantee your kids will never notice that it's not the Jell-O kind from the box. Even Bill Cosby would be proud.

We tested this recipe 6 times with different brands of tofus and cocoa powders. At the end of the day, we decided that most brands of silken, or soft, tofu in your grocery store refrigerator section or “Mori-Nu silken firm un-refrigerated tofu” (sold at most healthy food stores) are the best options. Both tofus produced super smooth pudding results. We also played around with the amount of cocoa powder. You can use more or less cocoa then the amount called for in the recipe, but 1/3 cup seemed to produce a perfectly chocolaty pudding that wasn't too light or too rich.

This recipe is also a great option for parents trying to watch their waistline. It's low in fat and calories since there's NO fat in cocoa powder and it’s not laden with sugar. My girlfriend came over for dinner and she and Kenya were hilarious digging into the pudding together and swallowing it so fast their dishes were empty within seconds!

Chocolate Tofu Pudding  (Serves 4-6)

• 1 14 oz package soft silken tofu (i like house foods soft silken or mori-nu firm silken)
  • 1/3 cup pure cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar (feel free to use a little more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to combine.
  2. 2. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again to make sure everything is incorporated.
  3. 3. Serve immediately or chilled.
Chocolate Tofu Pudding

Comments

1. Pingback: Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding (Vegan) | Figsinmybelly

2. Catherine

September 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

WOW! This was sooo rich. It was too rich for me and way too rich for my 4 yr old. It was liquidly but I could have drained the tofu more. My recommendation (…only if you want it) would be to start out with 2 tbsp. of cocoa powder and then add more depending on how rich you want it. You can always add more but can’t take it away once you add it. If you want it sweeter then add more of the agave. As the recipe stands now, I would not make it again.

• Catherine

September 2, 2013 at 9:31 am

After reading a review about the pudding tasting better the next day I did taste it again 2 days later and the taste was much more pleasing. It seems that the flavors do need to marry a little. Good thing I left it in the frig and didn’t throw it out. It may be helpful for readers to see a note for best results you may want to let it sit for 24 hrs before eating. It did seem to thicken up too. I would make this again!!!

3. Pingback: Chocolate Pudding | reclaiming health

4. fbtena

April 19, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I made this with nigari silken tofu from Trader Joes and maple syrup instead of the agave nectar, It was absolutely delicious! I served it with fresh strawberries. My 22 month old thought that the cacao flavor was a bit strong but she definitely had a few spoonfuls.

5. Megan

March 30, 2013 at 3:03 pm

My husband is so mad, he was expecting a treat and says it tastes like dog poop. I don’t think it’s so bad and was happy to try a new recipe. My 20 month old didn’t want any but she’s has a bad cold and had just woken up from a nap (and preferred a couple of little oranges).

• Megan

March 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I was excited about how silky it turned out (I used the mori-nu tofu).

6. Robyn

March 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I made this today. Was hoping it would be like the pudding at true food kitchen. No luck! The texture was great but the flavor was terrible. I use agave for everything and eat tofu all the time. But this was just not good at all. It’s sitting in the fridge. Will try again tomorrow as some people suggest. Hopefully the lingering nasty flavor will disappear.

7. Kathleen

February 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

I have a similar recipe that is made in pie form, called Moo-less Chocolate Pie. I mix the filling in a blender and it comes out very smooth. Maybe not so healthy as it contains coffee liqueur (Kahlua), which is mostly sugar, and 2 c. chocolate chips. The flavor is very chocolaty and delicious. I did see a version of this that called for just plain brewed coffee instead of the coffee liqueur, but I can’t vouch for that one. Just google Moo-less Chocolate Pie for the recipe from Alton Brown.

8. Shannon

January 18, 2013 at 8:06 am

I made this last night. I think either my food processor isn’t strong enough or I need to play with different styles of tofu because mine looked more like cholocate ricotta. I also sweetened mine with Agave and I didn’t care for the flavor. I ate it though and I’ll try it again. :)

9. Sue

January 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Great chocolate tofu pudding, love it.

10. Melanie

May 31, 2012 at 11:41 am

I made this, along with a few other recipes of yours last night. I’m officially in love with Weelicious! I do agree that the flavors taste better the next day but I love that I can get my chocolate fix in a much more healthy way. Plus, to me, the chocolate flavor tastes so much better than anything store bought that I don’t eat as much.

11. Pingback: Vegan "milks" for puddings / chemotherapy - City-Data Forum

12. Tara

March 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

This pudding is delicious! It tastes so rich and creamy…better than any pudding you will find in the supermarket! Thanks Catherine!

13. Pingback: Toronto Naturopathic Services

14. Pingback: chocolate delivery

15. Tracy

November 17, 2011 at 2:44 am

I have Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa powder. Is that the same thing as this recipe calls for? Or would I need to sweeten it more? Thank you for any advice!

16. Colleen

November 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

I have made a version of this pudding using pure maple syrup. It always tastes best the next day. It gives the flavors a chance to meld and the chocolate flavor a bit of time to smooth out. if it is too thin use firmer tofu. It also makes excellent pudding pops in the freezer!

17. acm

November 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

ugh, I made this, and while the texture was great (for pudding, not frosting) the taste was really jarring. not sure if it’s because I’m not used to the agave sweetener, or whether the tofu had a taste, but it’s incredibly artificial tasting (during and after). may try freezing it and hoping that temperature overcomes flavor in that regar, but sad to lose this healthy-seeming alternative to stovetop pudding!

18. acm

October 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Do you think this would work as a low-cal frosting? Was thinking of making it and then thickening part, as needed, to frost a birthday cake…

19. Pingback: Proteine

20. Pingback: Chocolate Pudding « Stuff I Baked

21. Britt

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Can this be done in a kitchen aid mixer? Or would it be better in a vitamix? I dont have a food processor..

• Mindy

August 2, 2012 at 7:34 am

I was wondering the same thing! I have a mixer and a vitamix but no food processor! I’m thinking about trying it in my VM and seeing how it turns out!

August 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

I would try the Vitamix since it has that incredibly low setting! I’m sure a blender would work, as well.

22. Christina

January 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

@Mary- no reason at all to not feed your 2 yr old agave. Far healthier than HFCS or sugar, and honey is not advisable for young children.

23. Lorrie

November 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Made pudding pops with this and they turned out great!

24. mary r

November 4, 2010 at 11:14 am

Any other options besides agave or honey? I have a 1 yr. old and am leary of these 2 ingredients for her, but would love it for the protein!

• Brit

February 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Maple Syrup!! or as Michael Bittman does, simple syrup. Or melt semi sweet chocolate and omit the sugar completely.

25. Melinda P

November 1, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I must have done something wrong. It turned out liquidy. Very liquidy. Oh well, I put it in the freezer. If life doesn’t give you pudding, make ice cream. ;)

• Ashley

October 23, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Make sure you drain the tofu. I used a reg tofu (not silken) and it turned out great.

26. Eli

October 19, 2010 at 2:31 pm

This looks awesome. I don’t like agave though- do you think it would work with honey or sugar instead? Any recommendation?

October 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Honey would be great!:)

27. Rachel

July 11, 2010 at 7:32 am

Do you drain the tofu or just throw everything in?

July 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

In most cases, you do have to drain the tofu if you are searing it but with this, you can just toss it in the food processor. If it does come in water, just pat it dry and toss it in.

28. Grace

January 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

This is rich, creamy, really chocolaty and 5 minutes easy. I used a hand held blender in a tallish container. You wouldn’t think that creamy base is silken tofu in a million years. Chocolate is actually good for you with antioxidants, no cream means cruelty free, and the agave does not have it’s own flavor in this desert – it’s not like using honey or maple syrup. It’s just sweet and low glycemic index, it won’t spike your insulin. Junk food that’s so tasty – we make this all the time.

29. Pingback: rainberryblue :: menu plan monday: april 20 - 26 :: April :: 2009