Egg in the Hole

As a cook, I get bored making the same thing day after day. I need to constantly change it up or being in the kitchen just isn't fun for me. Recently, Kenya has been asking for omelets EVERY morning for breakfast. So after the first few days of "crack eggs, whisk eggs, cook eggs", I decided to see how he'd respond to a bit of a change.

"Egg in the Hole" was one of my favorite breakfasts from childhood. This dish is especially great because there's lots of fun stuff the little ones can do to help you prepare it -- getting to make the holes in the bread is probably the most fun. When I was a kid, a simple drinking glass did the trick. But here at weelicious, we believe things can always be MORE fun. Well, cookie cutters aren't JUST for making cookies, you know. While you're getting everything ready to prepare the "Egg in the Hole", your little ones can rummage through your cookie cutters and pick the shape they want their egg to be. Say hello to "Egg in the Witch", "Egg in the Gingerbread Man", "Egg in the Star", and more! In no time flat you'll have a delicious high protein and carbohydrate meal that's the perfect start to a day....and never boring!

Photo by Maren Caruso

Egg in the Hole  (Serves 2)

• 2 slices of bread (i used whole wheat)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 eggs
  • salt

1. 1. Using a cookie cutter, press out the center of the pieces of bread reserving the cut out.
  2. 2. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and melt the butter.
  3. 3. Add the pieces of bread and the center cut outs to the pan.
  4. 4. Break 1 egg into each cutout, sprinkle with salt to taste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  5. 5. Flip the bread gently and cook to desired doneness (2-3 minutes total for runny eggs and 5 minutes total for firm eggs).
  6. 6. Serve each piece of bread with the cut out.
Egg in the Hole

Comments

1. Pingback: Healthy Real Food Lunches for Real Kids | Live Simply

2. carisa

December 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

The egg fell out when I flipped it?

3. Pingback: 60 Plus Nutrient Dense Recipes Every Kid Will Love

4. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: August 11-18 | LiveSimply

5. Eloura

July 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

I Made This Today For My Daughter Alysea, and She Loves It!She wanted me to make her more tommarow morning!Egg In The Hole Is A Yummy Breakfast For Kids Everywhere!Yumm!

6. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: May 6-12 | LiveSimply

7. Kenzie

September 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I love that you have this on your site,my grandma used to make this for us when were kids except she called it egg in the basket,was one of my favorite things and still make it to this day!Thanks for sharing so many great ideas and recipes on here! :)

8. Pingback: Toddler Food (12-18 mo) September 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

9. Pingback: Breakfast in under 5 minutes | Buy Online Shop Now

10. Pingback: Breakfast in under 5 minutes | My Family Blog

11. Brenda

July 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

Made this today , easy and fun for my kids. This is a 2 in 1 easy. We’ve done it seperate

12. Pingback: zed purlins

13. Paper and the Pea

December 18, 2011 at 1:40 am

My daughter really loved this idea! We made it yesterday w/ christmas tree shapes. :) We also added some maple syrup! Yum.

14. Carolyn

November 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

My teens still love this! While growing up, my mom called it egg in a frame. @ Kelly, that could be the time period it became popular – my mom was born in 1930 and had it as a kid, too!

15. Rebecca

November 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I don’t think my 5 yr old would eat the fried egg. Could this be made with a “scrambled” egg instead?

• Carolyn

November 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm

That’s a great idea! Should work fine. Scramble it, pour it in. I just might try that myself! Ooh, and maybe a little cheese…

16. Pingback: g2 gingerbread

17. Heather

October 20, 2011 at 10:54 am

Do you toast the bread first? Or does it “toast” in the pan??

• Jessica Gosline

October 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

It toasts in the pan. :)

18. Libby Brewer-Dulac

October 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

One of my faves from childhood too! Smothered with real Canadian maple syrup…mmmm!

19. Pingback: Cooking With Asterisky: Mother’s Day Over Easy Breakfast « Asterisky

20. Pingback: Mother’s Day Breakfast Treats : la mom magazine

21. Weight Training Workouts

February 5, 2011 at 4:10 am

Hey, What’s up? What’s happening? Hope you’re well I appreciate your post People don’t realize how incredible weight training can be!

22. sarah

September 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

This was one of my dad’s specialties growing up… his other specialty was popcorn! lol. We called it egg in the nest.

23. Brandie

September 14, 2010 at 10:07 am

This is what we had for breakfast today! My family loves it!

24. Pingback: Recetas para niños: Tortilla en tostada

25. Kelly

February 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

I used to make this when I was 12-13, it was in my American Girl cookbook. I want to say it was popular in the 30s/40s since the girl featured was Kit Kitteridge. I’m washing a couple pieces down with a glass of organic milk right now! =)

26. Christina

January 10, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This recipe is one of my fondest memories of Grandma’s House. I LOVE eating it and especially love my memories of my Grandma.

27. Amanda