Leftover Rice Pudding

Kenya could eat rice morning, noon and night, so I'm constantly trying to come up with new recipes using this great grain. I'm thankful that he loves rice so much because it's inexpensive, easy to prepare and healthy. I usually make a big batch in the rice cooker once or twice a week, so I always have some on hand in the fridge to quickly heat up and serve with beans, stir fry, sushi rolls or Chicken and Rice Burritos. Although I love the Creamy Rice Pudding recipe that I make all the time, this quick Leftover Rice Pudding is a fantastic alternative to the real thing without sacrificing any of the flavor. Just plop all the ingredients in a pan, let the rice absorb most of the milk and, "ta-da", rice pudding that everyone in your house will think took you hours to make.

Leftover Rice Pudding  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
  • 1 cup vanilla rice milk (you can also use cow’s, almond or soy milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons agave nectar or honey

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until it starts to thicken up.
  2. 2. Place in bowls and cool.
  3. 3. Refrigerate or serve at room temperature.
Leftover Rice Pudding

Comments

1. Dawn Klein

September 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I had some rice to use up and found your recipe. I used 2T. Honey and after it was cooked, had the inspiration to add some apple, so I cut up 1/2 an apple and microwaved it. Then added to the rice mixture. Yummy! We are out of raisins.

2. Portrait Photography

June 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My girls LOVE rice! As does their mother…and their father. This recipe is SO simple and SO delicious!

3. Leah

January 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I used to make this when my youngest was just starting solids and haven’t made it in a couple years. I had some leftover rice in my fridge and my son was asking for pudding so I’m trying it again. This time I am just using dark chocolate almond milk and the rice (similar to what I do with your tapioca recipe). We’ll see how it turns out, but it smells good.

4. Pingback: doudoune moncler,polo moncler,moncler femme

5. Polly

December 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vivid transparent idea

6. Stephanie

December 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Catherine, you are amazing!!! I use your recipes all the time. There is a Puerto Rican rice pudding recipe called “Arroz con Dulce” that I love and have been eating since I was a child. When I decided to make it and looked up the recipe, it called for 1 cup of sugar…1 CUP OF SUGAR!!!! There was no way I was going to make that and feed it to my 3 year old with SPD. I knew I had to look up weelicious FAST! I made your leftover rice pudding with a few alterations (to make it more like the “arroz con dulce” I used to have) and it was Delicious! I used leftover brown rice, 2 tbsp agave and 1 tbsp wildflower honey, half cup of 2% milk and 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Added in a cinnamon stick instead of ground cinnamon. I also added nutmeg, ginger, 6 cloves (which I scooped out before serving), and raisins. I will never go back to that unhealthy version again! Next time I’ll have to triple this recipe because this didn’t even last the day!

• Syanam

February 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm

We detliifeny need more smart people like you around.

December 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

love it!!

7. Laura

May 13, 2010 at 12:43 am

I’ve read a lot of recipes here and I was just wondering… is there a possible substitute for the agave and agave nectar? It’s hard to find/expensive where I live!

May 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Yes there is! You can use either honey or maple syrup.

8. Gini

February 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I just made this recipe for my 1 year old, but the whole family loved it! I added sliced almonds and raisins to the recipe… we all licked our bowls clean! Thank you for such an easy, but healthful recipe which I don’t feel too guilty feeding to my toddler.

9. Cristy

January 31, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Silly question: cook the rice first?

May 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

10. Terri Anton

January 29, 2010 at 1:18 am

I made this for breakfast this morning. Easy, fast and good, Thank you! I saw that you posted a comment on my blog about the pumpkin waffles :) I post a lot of your recipes as I LOVE your site!! Thanks so much! I also have a 2 year old boy and a baby girl on the way, I see a lot of myself and the way I like to cook in you and your site. It’s comforting to know that there is a place I can go to for last minute dinner ideas that are quick, taste good and are healthy for my family.
    From my santa barbara kitchen,
    Thanks again,
    Terri Anton

11. Blanca

January 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

I tried making the leftover rice pudding and it didn’t come out right at all. The rice didn’t cook in that time (i used brown). Should I have cooked the rice separately according to package?

May 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm

You would have to use cooked rice and pour that into the pot. Sorry for the confusion.

12. Naomi

January 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for posting this. I was just thinking of ways to use the rice milk I bought this week. This is such a healthy, easy to make recipe and great use for leftover rice. I wonder if you’ve ever tried this with Thai Red Rice? I was thinking that might be a good alternative as well.

Thanks!

May 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Yes I have cooked with it, but never for a recipe with weelicious. I’ll give it a try! thanks!

13. Mandie

January 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

I always buy precooked organic brown rice, because I’m too lazy to cook the regular stuff. This looks perfect me and my little tot! Thank you!

14. Lo

January 27, 2010 at 6:05 am

Can i ask a simple question?
    I have been reading and enjoying this blog for quite sometime now.
    I have a 17 mo girl and she isn’t picky or anything. the question is this: Do you cook and give to eat to your children something you don’t like for yourself?
    I hate rice pudding, I never eat it and so I never tried to feed it to my daughter. But she may like it so I’m thinking of preparing some for her only. Just in general do you feed your children something you don’t like, you don’t normally cook for yourself?

May 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Between you and me, I’m not a huge avocado fan but my kids live for them! Everyone has a different taste of what they like and don’t like so I don’t let what I don’t like get in the way with their eating. Kids should have a chance to try things on their own and decide if they do or don’t like it.