One of the greatest challenges when it comes to making kids snacks or desserts is coming up with recipes that are actually both healthy and something kids WANT to eat. As a parent, you want what they eat to have nutritional value, but still also have eye and taste appeal. From the moment Kenya saw these Chewy Granola Balls, I knew I fulfilled both criteria.
Loaded with whole grains, protein and fruit, these granola balls have just the right amount of sweetness and a crunchy, chewy texture that kids seem to love. I brought a batch of them to my informal "focus group" of classmates at Kenya's school and play groups and I didn't have enough to fulfill the demand for seconds. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, when the crowd is happy, so is mommy!
Chewy Granola Balls (Makes about 30 Balls)
- 1/2 Cup Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup Rice Syrup
- 1 Cup Rice Crispys
- 1 1/2 Cups <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2008/09/15/wee-granola/\">Wee Granola</a>
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries, Cherries, Blueberries and/or raisins, chopped
Preparation1. Place the almond butter and rice syrup in a small saucepan over low to medium heat and warm for 2 minutes or until it becomes smooth and combined.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Pour the warm almond butter mixture into the bowl with the granola mixture and stir to combine.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls (I used a mini ice cream scooper to scoop out each portion, but you could also use a tablespoon) .