Chewy Granola Balls

One of the greatest challenges when it comes to making kids snacks or desserts is coming up with recipes that are actually both healthy and something kids WANT to eat. As a parent, you want what they eat to have nutritional value, but still also have eye and taste appeal. From the moment Kenya saw these Chewy Granola Balls, I knew I fulfilled both criteria.

Loaded with whole grains, protein and fruit, these granola balls have just the right amount of sweetness and a crunchy, chewy texture that kids seem to love. I brought a batch of them to my informal "focus group" of classmates at Kenya's school and play groups and I didn't have enough to fulfill the demand for seconds. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, when the crowd is happy, so is mommy!

Chewy Granola Balls  (Makes about 30 Balls)

• 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup rice syrup
  • 1 cup rice crispys
  • 1 1/2 cups wee granola
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries and/or raisins, chopped

1. 1. Place the almond butter and rice syrup in a small saucepan over low to medium heat and warm for 2 minutes or until it becomes smooth and combined.
  2. 2. Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Pour the warm almond butter mixture into the bowl with the granola mixture and stir to combine.
  4. 4. Roll into 1 inch balls (I used a mini ice cream scooper to scoop out each portion, but you could also use a tablespoon) .
Chewy Granola Balls

Comments

1. Pingback: Homemade Snack: The Weelicious Chewy Granola Balls | Figsinmybelly

2. VPeabody

January 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm

How long will these keep? Should I freeze half the batch if I can’t eat all of them right away or are they stable enough to keep in a zip loc bag in the pantry for a few days? I’m also interested on knowing how long I can keep the wee granola. Thanks.

• VPeabody

January 15, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Sorry. I had a problem loading the page. I couldn’t see the comments. I found my answer! Thanks!

3. aprilgaietto

October 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I made these a few days ago and they were soo tasty! I used sunflower butter and dried cherries. I pressed it into a pan instead of making balls. Thanks for the great recipe! My toddler didn’t like them, but me and my husband did.

4. Addie

August 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I made these today for my little ones…YUM! We substituted Sunflower butter for the Almond Butter for a nut-free option, used Hemp granola and added a berry medley. They will be the perfect addition to my toddler’s lunch box. Thank you for a great snack idea!

5. Pingback: Obessions: Weelicious | Hair Teasing & Hair Bows

6. Cheryl Kramer

August 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm

We love these (!) but they are a bit sweet for out taste–is there a way to reduce the amount of brown rice syrup?

7. tami32

July 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Just made these and ate them right along with my little guy for a snack….sooooo yummy! I was not familiar with brown rice syrup prior to seeing this recipe, but I found it easily in my regular grocery store in the organic/health section. Thanks so much for a healthier alternative to corn syrup! It’s really nice to be able to have a sweet treat for my son that I feel good about giving him!!

8. Sonya

March 21, 2013 at 8:29 am

I made these from your book-which is fabulous-but forgot to heat the nut butter and syrup. I mixed everything together and they turned out very sticky. I was wondering if I followed the recipe next time, will they come out less tacky or is that how they are any way?

March 21, 2013 at 12:08 pm

The mixture is much easier to work with when it’s melted! They are still a bit sticky while shaping them, but not so much once they’re cooled and set!

9. Jodi

March 5, 2013 at 9:28 am

Just made with my 4 year old. Both my 2 year old and 4 year old are devouring them now. I used rice syrup, almond butter, rice krispies, pecans, pepitas, granola, and a tiny bit of dark chocolate.
    Thanks for the recipe!

• Artem

February 3, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Good blog post, nice efforts. It coldun’t appear to have been penned any better. Reading this article piece of writing reminds me about my old boss! He usually kept babbling about this. I will email this post to him. Pretty confident he will probably have a high-quality read. Appreciate your posting!

10. cbartz

October 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I am late to the game, but wanted to cheer on this recipe some more. Just made them with my 4 year old. They were easy to make, easy to clean up, and delicious to eat.
    My recipe substitutions were peanut butter and agave … that’s all I had on hand. So far so good. :)

Thank you!!

11. Ruth

October 1, 2012 at 7:54 am

Yum! Made these with granola, organic cocoa krispies, dried mixed fruit, and an equal mix of peanut butter and sunbutter. Based on other readers comments, I decided to make them into a loaf shape and then cut into bars when cool – no problems at all with crumbling, and the 5-yr old is scarfing them down! He has not been inclined to eat granola previously, so this is a great recipe for us.

12. Pam

September 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I can’t have gluten or oats….anyone have a suggestion on a substitution since I have yet to locate a granola without oats since supposedly oats are a “non-allergen food” and are the substitute for wheat in way too many things! These just sound amazing! Otherwise, I’ll just have to make them for the kids & hold myself back….

September 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

I have seen gluten-free granola in a few places. Try looking in your local grocery or see if you can find a health food store or a higher-end grocery!

• Pam

September 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thanks – I’ve seen the gluten free, but not Oat free…have you seen Oat free?

13. Joy

September 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

I am stocking the kitchen for the kids when I go out of town in a few days. I am sure I will need to make a new batch before then because they are amazingly yummy! We have lots of food allergies so I used wow soybutter and enjoy life allergy free granola.

14. catherine

June 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You could try a seed butter instead! And check with your pediatrician about the age limits, it all depend on you and your baby!

15. Karla

June 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I made these today…. used brown rice syrup and peanut butter.. kids loved them! I have a question though… i have a 13 mo old, whom also loved them… but I forgot that I shouldn’t be giving her PB till age 2… what can I substitute for the nut butter? Thanks! And thanks for the amazing recipes on your website!

16. catherine

April 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm

The main ingredient! Corn Syrup is made from corn, Brown Rice Syrup is made from rice! :) Corn syrup is high in fructose and usually made from GMO corn, which is why I prefer the brown rice syrup.

17. Karine

April 28, 2012 at 8:54 am

Mmmmm!!! So good! I was doubtful when I made them but they’re great and not sticky at all!
    What’s the difference between Rice and corn syrup though?

18. Pingback: ingrown toenail remedies

19. Laura

October 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I made these for my 2yr old …and my picky husband and the both gobble them up. They don’t last long in our house. They are so good! I found the brown rice syrup at my local publix but not all publix stores carry it. Thanks for the recipe, Catherine!

20. smcqueen

September 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

THANK YOU for this! Looking for snacks that little hands can hold, and made with ingredients I don’t cringe at–so fits perfectly:) Just one question: Do these freeze well? Even though we are a small family, it works best for me if I can make 2-3 batches of everything and then freeze.
    Thanks for the reply!

21. Jennifer

May 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Made the second batch of these today, cause the first batch didn’t last 24 hours in my house! LOVE these, thanks for the great recipe! I used Brown Rice Crispies and substituded some of the almond butter for 2 tbsp of nutella. Um, yummy!!!

22. Pingback: Pokemon… | This Lunch Rox

23. Jennifer

March 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I made these yesterday (using peanut butter instead of almond) and they were a HUGE hit with everyone — with my 2 year old, my 1 year old, my hubby AND my in laws!! So much so that today I’m heading BACK to the store to get more granola since there’s not enough left for my daughter’s lunch this week (the original reason I made them)!! When cooled, they were nice and hard on the outside (not sticky as I thought they were going to be) and held together GREAT! Thank you so much for a fantastic treat!

24. Sarah

March 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

These are great (kind of addicting though)! I made them with peanut butter instead of almond. Also, instead of the rice crispies, I used popped quinoa (sort of like puffed wheat but the size of Grape Nuts – I found them in the bulk food of my local health food store). It worked great with the quinoa, perhaps not as crunchy as the oringial recipe but more nutritious and still very delicious!

25. Andrea

March 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Do these have a sticky texture when cooled to serve?

March 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

no they do not :)

26. Samantha

March 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Just wanted to say that these are literally my favorite snack ever and I love them so much! Thank you for sharnig the recipe!!!

27. Bethany

February 27, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I made these this morning using crunchy Sunbutter and honey and they came out great. My boys love them!

28. Deanna T.

February 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Since many people were trying to work out a substitute for the rice syrup – let me help you avoid one more thing that won’t work – Agave Nectar. It totally thinned out the peanut butter and I ended up with something more like ‘granola clumps’. However, these tasted AMAZING – even my household’s pickiest eater gobbled them up. Already picked up my jar of rice syrup so no more clumps :)

29. reena

January 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm

any idea what the calorie content might be for these? Thinking it might be a healthy snack for adults too :)

30. Dan

January 20, 2011 at 11:29 am

These look great but my son has a tree nut allergy. Any substitute for nut butter?

• Carrie

January 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm

There is a peanut-butter substitute made from soybeans (and unfortunately I can’t recall the name – Smart – something?) however you can usually locate it in the health food section next to the other nut butters. Double check the label of course to be on the safe side. It has a somewhat grainier, and definitely less sweet quality than the nut butters, so you may need to add a (oh dear) granular sugar such as brown sugar to it to get it to “adhere” properly. Good luck!

31. Jennifer H

January 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’m excited to try these b/c I can make them gluten-free (w/ GF rice krispys) for my daughter!! I’ve been trying to find a yummy recipe that’s GF too. This looks great!

32. dlwitzke

January 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I have tried 3 different stores to try to get rice syrup…Even the health food stores here says they don’t carry it (I live in Canada). Is there anything that can be used to substitute?

• Kim

March 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm

In Edmonton, Canada I found this syrup in the Organic section of Save on Foods. I bought brown rice syrup.

• Kelly

January 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

I found this website when looking for a substitute – http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

33. Pingback: Chewy Granola Balls « Food They Eat

34. Daisy

October 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm

We love these!! The little kid, big kid, and the BIG “kids” all alike. :)

Question – Can these be frozen?? I’m all about making big batches of things to freeze some for later, when possible. ;) Thanks!

35. Joanne

October 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Absolutely fantastic. I love this recipe and it is so easy to make. It has become a staple in our house.

36. Karli

September 11, 2010 at 5:50 pm

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! These are sooooo good! I made them with the weegranola and I have to say store bought granola bars just don’t cut it anymore! I can’t wait until my little one is old enough for solid foods, but until then me and her dad are having fun tasting all these healthy kid friendly recipes :)

• Marge

December 18, 2011 at 3:56 am

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so straihftgorward.

37. Lorrie

September 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

The first time I made these I tried them with honey instead of rice syrup because I couldn’t find it and they were good but too sweet. I just made them again with the syrup and they are a lot better! And damp hands is definitely the key to being able to form good balls. Yummy!

38. Justine

August 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I made these last night and they were such a hit that I made another batch today! YUM!

• Ruhaani

February 4, 2014 at 5:30 am

“Now that’s bicycle deer huinntg.”Wow!That’s what I was imagining, except with some convincing hunter orange, knobbie tires, and a Hawken.But that guy has me so 0wnd: he prolly has a banana seat on that little two-stroke, in addition to the high-rise bars. Dang. -E

39. Heather

August 19, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Help Where do I find Rice Syrup ??? I have asked a few times in a few differend stores and no one knows what I am talking about !!

Thanks

• Meredith

March 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Don’t know if you have these stores where you live, but here in the Dallas area we have Market Street & Sprouts (farmers market store) that carry items like this.

August 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

You can find it at any health food store, do you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Jo’s near you?

40. Catherine

August 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I made these and my kids love them.

The problem I have was that when I finished mixing everything, I was unable to “roll” them as you mentioned, the mixture didn’t stick together. After chilling in the fridge they became a little more solid, but they still break apart constantly and don’t hold together as I envisioned. Any ideas?

August 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I roll them when they are still warm with damp hands and it works fine. Did you roll them when they cooled? You can always press them into a pan and cut them into bars.

41. Angela

July 17, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Ooohhh! These look so good! Can sunflower butter be used in substitution for the almond butter? Thanks!

July 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Yes! You could use any type of nut butter you prefer :)

42. Alana

July 15, 2010 at 7:01 am

These are delicious! I bought the brown rice syrup after debating in the store for awhile. It was over $7.00 for a smallish jar! It`s very yummy, though, so I`m glad I splurged. I`m going to try to make these nut-free next time so I can send them to school in Sept.

43. Heather H

June 10, 2010 at 11:09 am

Could Sunbutter or soynut butter be substituted for the almond butter?

44. Christie

May 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Thank you for replying back! I actually made the o’s & my 13 month loves them, as do I.

45. Christie

May 21, 2010 at 9:45 am

Can you use brown rice syrup? All I could find.

May 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Yes you can! Brown Rice Syrup, light brown rice, or regular rice syrup.

46. Jan (Family Bites)

March 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm

This look fantastic and I love that they use rice syrup. Yum!

47. Courtney

March 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Any sub for rice syrup?

May 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Not really, because of it’s sticky tacky texture and it has a neutral flavor.

48. Charlotte

March 17, 2010 at 5:43 am

These look so good! Do they store well? What do you think is the best way to keep them fresh? Thank you!!!

May 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

They store great! Just put them in a container for up to 2 weeks (if they last that long, they are usually gone before that amount of time). I usually have them on the counter, you can refrigerate them if you want but there is no need too.