Homemade Croutons
8 1976

Croutons

Croutons from Weelicious

Yum

Kenya and Chloe are obsessed with eating croutons -- to the point where it's become one of their favorite snacks. So now, every time I have day-old bread, I make a new batch of croutons to keep up with demand. I've come to consider them healthy junk food! They're crunchy, which kids love, have a warm, toasty and savory flavor and are much healthier and far less expensive then the boxed crackers or chips that you'll find loaded with additives at the grocery.

Of course you can toss these croutons into your favorite salads or soups, but I'm here today to say they're just as yummy on their own, and one can never run out of great snack ideas for kids!

Croutons  (Makes 3 cups)

My husband told me that I covered croutons already in last week's Chop't Caesar Salad recipe, but I felt the need to give them their own spotlight for a second. Kenya and Chloe are obsessed with eating croutons -- to the point where it's become one...

• 3 cups of day-old bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (you can use baguette, whole wheat or any kind of bread you have on hand)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. In a bowl, toss the bread cubes and olive oil until cubes are coated.
  3. 3. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
  4. 4. Cool and serve.
Croutons

Comments

1. nexttimepolicy.com

March 7, 2014 at 6:03 am

Just cause it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s not super helpful.

2. Ana

February 1, 2014 at 1:07 am

Hi! I used to store things in coelrod containers and drove myself crazy because I couldn’t see through them, or remember everything in them! But not too long ago I’ve discovered the beauty of glass jars for everything from food items to craft items. This post confirms I made the right decision! I’m not the only one who loves glass jars! I even save jars from the grocery, such as Ragu spaghetti sauce jars! I cover the lids with a pretty fabric, tie with twine or ribbon, attach a pretty tag, and have a lovely container for a gift, such as homemade treats or Hershey kisses! I love being able to look on my shelves and see at a glance what I have, and how much is left!

3. Amber

August 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Any tips on adding spices to this? I was thinking some cayenne pepper and curry powder, for me only of course; most people don’t like such spicy foods

August 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That sounds fab! You can add the spices at the same time as tossing with the oil to help them stick to the bread! I would start with 1 teaspoon of spice and see how that level works for you!

4. Janine

November 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

These are fantastic! My toddler loves to snack on them and I love to use them for thickening up broths to make them easier for him to eat!! :)

5. Ashley

November 10, 2010 at 1:54 am

yes – my son loves croutons! I save my bread ends (freeze them if needed) and add garlic and italian spices. I’m searching for after school/daycare snacks right now and this one is a definite hit these days!

• Yhunie

February 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm

week I found myself gtneitg into the groove of the pantry challenge. I baked more. I created a few new recipes, such as Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas as well as Pumpkin Scones

6. Pingback: Easy Homemade Baby Food