Carrot Chips

Some vegetables take less effort to get kids to eat than others. While brussel sprouts and lima beans might not always be favorites of your little ones, I bet carrots are a pretty easy sell. For starters, they're not green, a color most kids associate with their veggies. And along with being naturally sweet, carrots are a gold mine of nutrition and a great source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene converts to Vitamin A, which is essential for good vision.

Still, some kids will avoid vegetables at any turn. The fun part of this recipe is turning carrots into something they won't be able to say no to. These carrot chips couldn't be easier to make and they are so delicious and fun to eat, you'll likely find yourself running back to the market for more carrots for the next batch! Best of all, they are a great way to get kids to eat their veggies, and that should make every mom happy.

We used this to make this recipe:

Carrot Chips  (Serves 4)

• 4 carrots
  • salt to taste

1. 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. 2. Using a mandoline or a knife, thinly slice the carrots into rounds.
  3. 3. Place the carrot chips on a silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheet, sprinkle lightly with salt and bake for 45 minutes.
Carrot Chips

Comments

1. Carmen

August 22, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I made these and they came out pretty good. Had to really extend the baking time though. It would be really helpful to know the size you are using on the mandolin when you slice them. Thanks

2. Pingback: Lotsa Veggies | Resolution Revamp

3. Heather Ferreira

May 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Ladies, ladies!

Skip the oven and buy them pre-roasted/pre-salted at Sprouts.

Problem solved. You’re welcome :)

4. Crystal

May 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I love carrots so I was excited to try this. I did everything according to directions, including using a mandolin. However, since you didn’t mention a thickness I had to guess and I went with 1/8th inch slices. I’m expreriencing all of the problems others have described; looong oven times, chewy, very shriveled. I’m guessing a thinner slice would help and giving what setting you used would be very helpful.

5. Pingback: Toddler Food Recipes Gone Wrong | Ladybugs And Lattes

6. Beatrix

November 14, 2011 at 2:13 am

I think slicing the carrots on the bias would give these a fighting chance at working.

These are so ridiculously small, they look more like rabbit food than ever.

This recipe should not suggest slicing the carrots with a knife. It is impossible to slice them evenly, so you end up with a batch of burned and undercooked chips (with maybe one suitable to eat?)

Taste is completely “meh” for the perfectly cooked ones, chewy and gross for the underdone ones….at least the burned ones were crispy?

7. tallie

September 24, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I have some big monster carrots in my garden and I decided to try this recipe. Instead of slicing the carrots into little rounds I cut the carrots in 1/2 then in thin slices length wise. I used my meat slicer. The chips were a lot bigger. I mixed them in with my beet chips and they made a beautiful colorful snack.

8. Aubrey

July 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm

i can’t wait to try these! i have a 1 week fruit and veg only detox. this is perfect because theres no oil and makes something crispy like chips with no guilt of eating them, ill check back later when i finish them!

9. Loretta

July 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm

These worked out pretty well. My oldest probably downed a large carrot on his own today. Yay! Little one ate more carrots than she otherwise would have, too! Kind of time consuming, but worth it! (Approximately an hour all together?)

I did 250 degrees on convection (which would be 275 standard) & they actually started crisping up at about 20 minutes. If they were a little more golden, they seemed to be crispy for sure; if still orange, chances were they might be a little chewy. I actually preferred chewy cuz it seemed a little “al dente,” but knew my kids would want just crispy, so I tried to bake most longer.

My son suggested adding a little sugar & cinnamon, too. That batch turned out nicely! :-)

I’ve got 2 relatively picky little ones (5 & 2)…& thanks to this site, they regularly eat kale (kale chips). We also do sweet potato chips & I’m hoping to throw carrot chips into the mix. As picky as they are, like many kids if you make it into a chip, it has a better chance of ending up in their tummies!

10. Catherine

June 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

One other tip… be sure that none of the carrots are overlapping otherwise they may not crisp up.

11. Catherine

June 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I made these for the second time and they turned out nice and crisp. Here are some notes that I made. I used 5 carrots. Started at 250 degrees on the lowest shelf in the oven. Increased temp to 275 degrees after 17 min gave the carrots a stir with my wooden spoon. After the initial 45 minutes it needed another 15 min and I gave the carrots a stir with my wooden spoon again. They really shrunk but still needed more time so another 15 min but now I moved the tray to the middle shelf at 275 degrees and I gave the carrots a stir with my wooden spoon again. A few of the slices turned grey so I took the tray out and let them cool. They turned out crispy and my DS loved them. You need to nurse them but it is worth it. T

12. Dustee

June 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I am about to try them for the third time. Mine stay chewy and I have a convection oven. I am going to keep going. DD has food intollerances and carrots are one of her few safe foods. I WILL GET THIS!~!!

13. Andrea

June 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I tried to make these today and it was a huge fail. They never dried out and they shrunk really really small. I think they taste okay but I can almost guarantee that my boys won’t eat them.. Oh well, live and learn :)

• Gabriel

February 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Love how she put this outfit toeeghtr! Love the colors, the bag, those shoes, love the layers, the swapped belts, love the orange ring! She clinched this one! So alive! HOT!

14. Sarah

March 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

What other veggies could be used to make these? Just wondering!
    Thanks~!

March 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm

We have a similar recipe called Sweet Beet Cookies, have you seen it?http://weelicious.com/2010/08/16/sweet-beet-cookies/

• Raigul

February 4, 2014 at 2:23 am

I tried viewing your site with my iphnoe and the structure does not seem to be right. Might want to check it out on WAP as well as it seems most cellular phone layouts are not really working with your web site.

15. Catherine

March 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I just made these. I needed to bake these for a total of 2 hrs and they came out nice and crisp.

16. Jeanne @JollyTomato

February 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

LOVED these! Thanks, Catherine. I included them in my Fun Food Saturday: Veggie Chips story and we noshed on them for Superbowl Sunday. : )

17. Sara

January 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I just tried these and instead of using a mandolin, I used the peeler and made carrot strips. My problem is that most of mine burnt because I didn’t watch them closely. But the ones that were not burn were perfectly crispy and delicious!

18. Diana

October 25, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I excitedly tried out this recipe too. The carrots came out chewy…and I baked them a REALLY long time..almost two full hours! Ieven decided to let them dry overnight…no luck! in the morning they were still chewy

19. Tiffany

October 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I too should’ve tried to leave them in longer because our were soft & chewy. I tried my first 2 recipe’s off this site & both failed : ( Just needed to get that out so I feel better, lol.

20. Chris Pessoa

October 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Hi, Catherine! I tried this recipe twice and I could not make then crispy. I even bought a mandolin and in all the two times I tried I had to bake for 1:40h… At the first time some pieces got crispy but most not and my daugther ate some and liked the crispy ones. I’ll not give up… I’ll try again because I think she’ll like and eat, but I wish I knew what I’m doing wrong. :-(
    I think I´ll try a hotter temperature… maybe my oven is not at the temperature it says it is.

October 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Every oven is different, try testing it with a higher temp and see how they go – just watch it :)

21. Emily

October 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I just took my first batch out of the oven and these are delicious! They’re so crispy and sweet. I can’t wait for my 2.5 yr old to wake up from his nap so he can try them.

22. Kendra

September 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm

:( These didn’t work for me either…and I left them bake a loooong time. Sad – I was excited for them.

23. Robin

September 25, 2010 at 11:09 am

We made these to use up our bumper carrots and they were awful. They were bitter and chewy. We threw the whole batch away. I don’t know what went wrong.

September 27, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Sometimes carrots can be a little but bitter, did you peel the skin off?

24. Lise

September 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Would a deyhdrator work as well (better)? I’m considering one for making snacks like these for my daughter’s lunch

September 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Dehydrator will work just fine!

25. Michelle

September 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I tried these and even cooked them an extra 30+ minutes and after they cooled they had more of a jerky texture. I sliced the carrots as thin as my mandolin would allow. I’m guessing if I could slice them even thinner that it might work better.

26. Carrie

September 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

How long will these keep after they come out of the oven?

September 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

They are good in an air-tight container for a week – but if they are not air-tight they get soggy the next day because of the humidity. Ours doesn’t even last one day- they eat it all up!

27. Sarah

August 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Do you think this would work with radishes too?

August 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Haven’t tested it but i’m sure it would work :) let me know if you test it!

28. Melanie

August 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I made these today and they didn’t turn out how I thought they would :( I had them in the oven for almost an hour and left them out to cool… but they are still chewy, and not crispy. Maybe I didn’t cut them thin enough?

August 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Did you use a mandolin? Using the mandolin makes a huge difference.

29. Pingback: Playground Hunting » Carrot Chips

30. Tiffany @ The Gracious Pantry

August 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

Question: I tried these and could not get them to be crispy. I baked them for an additional 15 minutes (a full hour), but they were still soft. Is that how they are supposed to be?

August 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Every oven is different and they require different temperature times depending on your oven. Leave them in longer and check every 15 minutes, yours may have gone for another 30 minutes. Also when you take them out to cool, they become more crispy.

31. Laura

August 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

My 14 month old liked them much more than I thought he would. I should have cooked them longer or used my oven’s dehydrating feature because they did turn out chewy. I don’t think he chewed them though, just swallowed them whole. They were really small.

32. Lauren

August 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

These were great! I just wanted to mention that they do shrivel up a lot so you need to be aware of that when salting to taste…they get saltier as they dry up because the surface area is reduced. I have a normal oven and it took almost an hour and 15 minutes and I considered opening the door a crack to let the air out. I will try that next time. Great recipe!

33. Rocio

August 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hi, is it 250 degrees F or C?

August 5, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Fahrenheit

34. Aimee

July 31, 2010 at 9:30 am

I tried this recipe but must have done something wrong. My chips didn’t turn out crunchy but soft and chewy. Is this right? I even left them in the oven an extra 10 minutes. Any suggestions?

August 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Every oven is different, I would have left them in longer (longer than what you had them in for too) and then let them cool. When they cool, they become more crunchy. They really need to dehydrate in the oven.

35. lindey

July 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm

hi catherine- are you baking in a regular oven or convection? i have access to both & would like to know which you use so i know which direction i might need to adjust cook time. thanks :o)

August 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I use a convection oven. :)

• Catherine

March 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Ah ha! That is why it took me 2 hrs in a regular oven. Convection will crisp these up MUCH faster than a regular oven.

36. Kristin

July 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm

It felt like I sliced forever on the mandolin and they shrunk up so much that I barely had 1/2 cup. Thinking I need to go and look for GIGANTIC carrots. They were very yummy though.

37. Melissa

July 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm

How big were the carrots you used? I thought I had pretty big carrots but they shriveled up into tiny little pieces and still weren’t that crispy. I was really hoping my son would love these too!

July 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I used regular size carrots, you really are dehydrating the carrots and they become more crispy when you let them cool. Try baking them a little longer since every oven is different :)

38. Anna k

July 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm

How far in advance can I make these? I’d love to make these for the older kids attending my son’s 1st birthday party…

July 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm

You can make them a day ahead, maybe 2 days but they might get stale. You have to store them in a ziploc bag.

39. Tracy

July 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I made these with both carrots and parsnips, and my extremely picky 2 1/2-year-old daughter snarfed them all down. Thank you!

40. Kim

July 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I would just like to say that I think you and your recipes are AMAZING! Not only does my 2 1/2 yr old daughter love your recipes but many of them are good for the Weight Watchers plan as well!
    This one is in the oven right now! I can’t wait to try them!

41. Christa

July 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I hoped these would be a hit, but they weren’t with my 4 year old. I wonder if they were more crispy if she would like them better. Would more time in the oven dry them out more and make them crispier?

July 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Every oven is different, so in that case your chips would probably needed for time in the oven to dry. When they come out of the oven they become more crispier as well when they cool. Try putting them in 15 mins longer and see what happens. :)

42. Heather

July 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I wonder how these would turn out using parsnips. I may have to give it a try….

• Blanca

July 27, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Let us know! I never tried parsnips!!

• Karen

June 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Parsnips turn out great – my daughter prefers them to the carrot – now I just make parsnip chips! cook the same way

• Olga

February 4, 2014 at 12:06 am

I love the color palette! What I nticoed is it seems she took the belt for the jacket and wrapped it over the blouse. Then took a scarf/belt from the blouse and used it as a belt on the jacket. Great idea!

43. Susan

July 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

You didn’t need to toss the carrots in oil? I’ve made kale chips and have had to toss them in olive oil before baking.

July 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm

No you don’t — thats what make this recipe so easy and healthy!

44. lindey

July 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm

looks like they could have started out round and taken on the fun shape as they dried out in the oven. i’m sure slicing on a diagonal would give more of a surface to warp into these fun shapes :o)
    can’t wait to try this!

45. Blanca

July 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Seems to me like she used whole carrots. Doubt 4 baby carrots give you as much as is shown in the picture. Plus baby carrots are a pain to slice!

46. Becky

July 27, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Did you use baby carrots or full size carrots. Would these freeze well…

July 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I used regular full size carrots. They wouldn’t be good for freezing though. They were gone after an hour, thats how good they were!

• Janet

August 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm

We dry apples in the dehydrator and keep them in freezer bags all winter. If you should have a bumper crop of carrots, and dry them well for this recipe, I would suspect they’d freeze just fine.

47. Carolyn

July 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

It looks like they were peeled with a veg. peeler – can I do this or would it makes the slices too thin?

July 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I used a mandolin to slice them , I will post the link on the page.

48. Holly N.

July 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

This sounds great! I just wonder if it would be ok to give to a toddler without posing a choking hazard. What do you think?

• angela

July 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I made these for my 18-month-old yesterday. They really shriveled up into barely-there sorts of crisp/chewy chips. I think I used about 5 decent-sized carrots and ended up with about a cup of “chips.” Anyway, he ate them up -and he’s not really crazy about carrots! I definitely recommend them for toddlers.

July 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm

These are great for toddlers, they are thin and crispy so there shouldn’t be a problem. Kenya loved them!

• Holly N.

July 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Did Chloe eat them? I think she is closer to my daugther’s age. Thanks for the quick response by the way!

July 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I think she was napping when we made them and they were all gone by the time she woke up but I know she would eat them :)

49. kristen

July 27, 2010 at 6:21 am

Did you cut your carrots in rounds? They have such a fun shape- it doesn’t look quite like circles.

July 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Yes, they are cut into really thin rounds, they shrivel up when they bake. They are so addicting!

• Jenni

August 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

If you are using a mandolin to slice, what setting are you using? 0.5? Thank you!

• Barbara

May 23, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Could you put parchment on top of chips while cooking if you want to keep them flat?

50. karen

July 27, 2010 at 4:49 am

If this actually gets my son to eat a vegetable that isn’t deep fried I’ll (1) fall over in shock and (2) be eternally indebted to you!!!