Veggie Cream Cheese

Before I had kids, I don't think I ever used cream cheese to make anything other then cheesecake. Now, I use it to make everything from Sun Dried Tomato Cream Cheese Spread, to Avocado & Cream Cheese Sammies, to Mini Vanilla Cupcakes, to my favorite, weelicious Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast.

I find cream cheese to be one of the most versatile staples I keep in my fridge. In my experience, just adding a touch of this airy delight to foods kids normally put up a fuss about yields incredible results . I'm sure if you placed some raw carrots and broccoli in a bowl in front of your wee one for a snack you would be met with an, "I'm not eating that!" But toss those same veggies into a food processor with some lovely cream cheese and voila! You have a spread that goes beautifully on crackers, in a sandwich, and best of all, happily in your child's mouth!

Veggie Cream Cheese  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

• 1/2 cup carrots, grated
  • 1/2 cup broccoli, raw
  • 1 tablespoon chives, diced
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 8oz pkg. cream cheese, softened

1. 1. Place the first 5 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
  2. 2. Add the cream cheese and puree until combined.
Veggie Cream Cheese

Comments

1. Aly

February 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I love this so much! I just chop the vegetables though bc I love the chunks :)

2. Caitlin

June 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm

This is really good, I actually used grated broccoli stalk for the 1/2 cup broccoli so I could save the florets for dinner this week. I also added 1/2 tsp of paprika. Hope my children think its as good as I do

3. Stephen

January 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Has anyone tried making this with yogurt cheese for a healthier alternative?

4. Pingback: It’s In Season: 20 Broccoli Recipes | Pepper Scraps

5. momma2boys

March 31, 2011 at 10:07 am

Love this! This is a new favorite at our house! yummy!

6. Dana

October 7, 2010 at 7:26 am

This is so delicious! I spread it on some oat bread for my daughter’s lunch today. Thank you for sharing your recipes…it’s nice to see recipes with “real” ingredients being used.

7. Teice

September 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I made this for a play group I facilitate and the kids (all under 5) loved it! The kids went through a whole box of crackers. I used cream cheese, carrots, broccoli, salt, and some garlic powder since that is what I had on hand.

8. Very Bloggy Beth

August 30, 2010 at 5:33 pm

BIG hit in our house–with picky kiddo and parents alike! Thank you!

9. Karen

August 19, 2010 at 10:07 am

What can i use insted of chives?

August 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

You can use scallions or onions, but chives are much milder in flavor :)

10. Adriana

August 19, 2010 at 1:30 am

Can you use dried chives? If so, how much?

Thanks!

August 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Since dried herbs are much stronger in flavor than fresh, you have to use half of what it calls for :)

11. Sara

August 7, 2010 at 11:01 am

I just made this for snack time today. WOW. This is way yummy. This’ll be a great way to get my kids some veggies and my husband. You’re doing such a great job coming up with this stuff. I love how basic everything.

12. Blanca

August 5, 2010 at 11:56 am

Chives and scallions are the same as green onions, correct?

August 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Scallions are the same as green onions, chives are similar but different and more mild.

• Blanca

August 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

Thnx! I googled it after I posted. :) I finally found the chives. They’re so small and easy to miss! My little one, which does not like cream cheese, milk, or yogurt, loved this snack!

13. Laura

August 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I made this with grated carrots and cucumber (drained it through a sieve first.) I also added celery salt in part substitution for regular salt. It turned out really flavorful and my toddler bee loves it. Perhaps a little softer than regular veggie cream cheese because of the cucumber sub., but still great!

14. Valerie

July 28, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I am definetely going to make this – my 15 month old loves anything cheese! I am big advocate of freezing things to make life easier when it isn’t so…do you think I could freeze portions of this? I’ve never frozen cream cheese.
    Also, I know you get it a lot, but I LOVE, LOVE your site! I’ve been turned on to it a couple of months ago from a friend and make something from it every week or so.
    THANK YOU!!!

July 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thank you! I have never frozen cream cheese either so I wouldn’t know. If you do let me know how they turn out!

• Crystal

August 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I wouldn’t recommend freezing cream cheese. I tried it once and it separated. Although I don’t know if mixing it with veggies would make a difference.

15. SMCL

July 28, 2010 at 11:51 am

One of my little boy’s favourite meals (that he just asked for a whole second sandwich of) is cream cheese and spinach (thawed from frozen and mixed w/ cream cheese). Easy, just spread on bread, cut and serve! He gobbles it up EVERY time! and yay he’s eating spinach :)

16. Blanca

July 28, 2010 at 11:19 am

Yum! Weelicious artichoke cream cheese spread is out of this world as well!! So good!

17. Amber

July 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

I get WAY too excited reading your blog. I LOVE this idea!!!

18. Carolina

July 28, 2010 at 4:20 am

How long will this last in the fridge? Btw, I love your site and have been using your recipes ever since I discovered it. My son loves everything! Keep up the good work!

July 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I made it on friday, and its wednesday and just gave some to the kids for breakfast and they are still perfect! I’m checking it day by day (if it doesn’t get eaten up) to see how much longer it could hold. I want to say a week to a week and a half.