Spinach Ricotta Bites

Spinach Ricotta Bites

Yum

Lucky me that I have a cousin with two growing boys who loves to cook and feed her kids healthy foods. She makes a version of this recipe in a pie dish and has been trying to convince me that her boys absolutely devour it whenever she makes it for them. Although I sometimes find statements like that hard to believe when we're talking about green foods and highly independent little boys, I’m always game for recipes that defy the odds.

I decided to take my cousin’s original recipe, make a few tweaks to the ingredients and then cook them in mini muffin cups instead of a pie dish, because it cooks faster (and after all, what kid doesn't like something mini?). As for my my initial doubts about the kid appeal of this recipe, after watching Kenya repeatedly walk by the cooling rack to grab three of them within 15 minutes and Chloe scarfing down four at dinner, I realized these could be one of the all time greatest kid and parent friendly recipes I've ever made. Delicious, healthy and SO easy to make. My cousin gets total props for this kiddy culinary hit!

Spinach Ricotta Bites  (Makes 20 Bites)

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese (low or full fat ricotta will work)
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained well (i use my hands to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes until tender.
  3. 3. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute then set aside to cool.
  4. 4. Whisk eggs in a bowl and stir in ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
  5. 5. Once combined, stir in spinach, salt and cooled onion and garlic mixture.
  6. 6. Pour the mixture into lightly greased mini muffin cups.
  7. 7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and golden on top.
Spinach Ricotta Bites

Comments

1. F2Paulson

June 28, 2014 at 11:50 pm

This was a success with a teething toddler! Thank you!

2. Pingback: Things we love…

3. Chelsea

June 19, 2014 at 11:41 am

So I don’t have any spinach on hand, nor broccoli…would frozen peas and carrots suffice??

4. Andrea

March 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

Can I use just egg yolks?

5. sue

March 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

What is the best way to reheat these? If they go in the microwave do they come out rubbery?

6. Rebekah

February 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

If I use fresh, raw spinach that I chop in food processor, this would work great, right?

7. Brandan WH

February 20, 2014 at 9:20 am

I made these last night and while my kids weren’t so sure about them, my husband was popping them in his mouth like they were candy! I can definitely see trying this again but also seeing how they do with spinach and cheddar cheese. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Evangeline

January 29, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I just made these again! :D And added a couple of things! I doubled the recipe, added in 3/4 package of ground pork (my husband’s a carnivore!) into the saute pan with the onion and garlic, added a splash of white wine into the mix and followed the rest of the recipe with fresh spinach washed and pat dry with kitchen towels. And it turned out weelicious as usual!

9. Evangeline

December 18, 2013 at 10:59 am

Do these rise at all? I’m halfway through spooning the batter into the muffin tins and was wondering if they’d rise! cuz if they do, I’d be in trouble! :P

• Evangeline

December 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

PERFECT!! They came up AMAZING! My daughter’s in a serious teething phase with 8 teeth coming out so she wasn’t eating ANYTHING. Today’s the first day she’s eaten anything serious! And she ate 2 of the minis!!! :D :D :D I used baby spinach, shredded parmesan instead of grated cuz that was all I had… and topped the mixture with parmesan & mozzarella too! THANKS CATHERINE!

• Catherine McCord

December 18, 2013 at 11:53 am

They do not rise. Fill the muffin cups all the way up!

10. Shelly

October 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I made these tonight for my 10.5 month old but used broccoli and cheddar instead of spinach and mozzarella because that is what I had on hand. I cut them in cubes and packed some up for his lunch tomorrow. Of course I had to try a couple and they were great. Hoping the rest freezes well!

11. Pingback: The Cheesiest: Spinach Ricotta Bites | Foodie Fox

12. Kali

August 2, 2013 at 4:28 pm

What’s the ratio for regular size muffin tins? 1 1/2 perhaps? I read cook time is 25-30 mins right?

13. Tayra

July 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I’m making this tonight for my family! I made them in a regular size muffin pan…they turned out DELICIOUS! I broiled them for 5 mins. (which was a lot!), but they still are very good! Thanks Caterine! ;-)

14. aesteves81

June 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Could I make this in a regular pie pan? If so, would everything remain the same and how long would I cook it for? Thanks so much.

June 5, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Hmm I haven’t tested this in a full size pan, but I’m not sure it would cook all the way through… If you try it let me know how it comes out!

15. Linda

June 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Just saw this recipe in Parenting magazine, complete with the same picture. Can’t wait to try!

16. Melissa

April 10, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Do these freeze and reheat well?

• Hedi

June 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Yes. I always freeze them. To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and microwave or pop in the toaster oven. Tastes great!

17. Hsiaolei Parks

March 21, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Since my last comment, I have made these 4 times! My 3 1/2 year old loves them (we call them Buzz Lightyear muffins) and so does my 9 month old little girl. She’ll eat almost 3 in one sitting!
    I have to have these on hand at all times.

18. Barbara Lee

March 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm

a neighbor sent me this info- I am really trying to change my diet.

19. Erin

March 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

So. Incredibly. Delish! I actually throw the chopped onion, garlic, and butter into a bowl and “saute” it in the microwave and then just let it sit in there to cool down while I do some other stuff around the house. I find if I “one and a half times” the recipe, it perfectly fills my mini-muffins. My husband and I both love these as well, as does my son.

20. fbtena

March 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Just made these delicious bites these a.m. for my 20-month old daughter who now does not like certain textures. She ate two of these with plain yogurt as a dipping sauce. I did not add the salt as the recipe stated but they still came out flavorful and moist. Love these!

21. Hsiaolei Parks

March 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

OMG, these are so delicious. I went to your cooking demo in Los Gatos, CA, and you made these. I had forgotten about them and decided to make them today. They are just as good as I remember. I hope that there are some left for my kiddos! :)
    Thank you for all the delicious and easy recipes.

22. Phoebe

March 1, 2013 at 5:05 pm

My 4.5 year old who has always shied away from spinach helped me make these this afternoon. They came out of the oven as he was heading out for a playdate. When he got back he ate one and deemed it delicious. He asked that they go in his lunch box next week! So, yes, involving them in the prep work really helps! Thanks for this great idea.

23. Irene

March 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

My 3 yo son who doesn’t like eggs or veggies just ate 3 muffins– ha ha

24. Lady J

February 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm

These were delicious. I omitted the garlic and used fresh spinach. I just cut my fresh spinach up and stirred it in the batter. Overall, a little salty ……next time I will only use a pinch of salt.

25. Pingback: Soul Food Sunday | Grocery Grooves

26. Darcy

February 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Love this recipe and for fun I substituted finely chopped steamed broccoli for the spinach and a cheddar/gruyere blend for the mozzarella. They turned out great and I just wanted to share. Such a fun way to get the kiddos to eat their veggies!

27. FAYE SUED

January 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I live in B’klyn ny. This is an old Kosher Syrian dish. We make it with ricotta or low fat cottage cheese with some Munster cheese. Yes the kids really love it. Usually served with a dish call Mujedrah.
    You can find these recipes in the cookbook “Aromas of Aleppo.
    Written by Poopa Dweck

28. George Robb

December 7, 2012 at 6:42 am

parece rico

29. Dina

December 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

This was my son’s (15months) first introduction to spinach. He loves them!

30. Pingback: Perry's Plate: Dishing up real-food recipes and really good desserts » Weelicious Cookbook Review & Giveaway!

31. rebecca

July 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Very tasty. The whole family loves them.

32. Ruth Pinnell

July 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

These were so yummy using my fresh goat-milk ricotta! Next time, I’ll try other readers suggestions and add mushrooms to the mix!

33. Lisa

May 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thank you! Made a double batch for a party. Used olive oil instead of butter and added some black pepper and basil. Had to keep my family (and myself) from eating everything before the party. They were much appreciated by some low-carbers and a gluten-intolerant guest. Recipe was easy enough to rattle off to anyone (everyone) who asked.

34. catherine

May 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Yes, lightly saute the garlic just to get it soft and aromatic! Raw garlic will be very potent. You can reduce the butter to 1 tsp!

35. Morgan

May 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

We are not onion fans at my house. If I left the onions out, do you think I would still need to cook the garlic in melted butter before mixing everything together?

36. Miss Donna

April 28, 2012 at 7:07 pm

these little. Uggets are the bomb. My toddler students loved them and so do the teachers. We enjoyed the spinach delights all week long. Love the mom who prep the snack for our class at Montessori.

37. lish875

March 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Easy recipe and super yummy!! Thanks for sharing. :)

38. Jen

February 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

Thanks for this recipe – easy & super YUM!!!!!! :)

39. Pamela

November 12, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I made these this morning and what a huge success! My in-laws are visiting and they ate them all up. So easy to make. Great recipe.

40. Danielle

October 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

My daughter didnt like these but I love them! Anyone know what the cook time or temperature difference would be if I wanted to make it in a large casserole dish instead of muffin tin? thanks

41. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

August 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

wow! another fantastic recipe. I wonder if anybody has tried to change it up with a little artichoke, red pepper flakes or possibly mushroom?

42. Laura

August 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Frank,
    I’ve made these several times and they’ve always turned out really well. I wonder what you are doing differently. Sorry you had a bad result but I agree Jaime.
    Laura

43. Frank Mosher

August 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Sorry, but this is a horrible recipe, and certainly a far cry from anything healthy!To begin with, the recipe does not “gel” in the mini-muffin tins, even after cooking an extra 1/2 hour!Anyone who actually followed this recipe, would know this. This recipe has to go back to the drawing board for some more thought even though I think it may have potential, but perhaps with a little flour?

• Jen

February 4, 2012 at 12:18 am

I didn’t even measure the Ricotta, Mozzarella or Parmesan Cheeses & this recipe worked great! Also, I only used half a box of frozen spinach (as we don’t work in oz here in Australia) & all turned out great.

• Kelsey

December 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

These came out perfect for me with one try. A friend of mine who doesn’t even cook wanted to try out this recipe and she was successful as well. Did you try to cook them in a regular sized muffin tin perhaps? That would require a longer cooking time.

• mma1029

December 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve made these at least a half dozen times over the last 6 months and never had an issue – give them another try Frank, they are WORTH it!

• Pamela

November 17, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Gosh, so not true for me and many other who have definitely tried the recipe! I followed the recipe to the letter as I do with all Weelicious recipes (I depend on them being accurate) and the batch came out perfectly. I made a batch again tonight, this time using zucchini instead of spinach and they came out perfectly, like little quiches.

44. Stephanie

August 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

If you only have regular sized muffin tins, what would the cook temp and time be?

• Allison

August 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I just made regular sized ones and it was about 35 minutes

45. Leah

July 25, 2011 at 7:42 am

Can you freeze and reheat these?

• Jaime

August 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I make these in double batches, freeze and reheat a few at a time. To defrost I usually just put them in the oven for a few minutes while I’m reheating it for another purpose.

And Frank, you should try them again – these turn out fine for me, and even my very picky 15 month old twins will eat them!

46. Amilynn36

July 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm

OMGosh Delicious! Hope there is still some left when the baby wakes up hahahah

47. Laura

June 29, 2011 at 10:01 am

I have some fresh spinach I need to use up – any idea how much to use in place of the frozen?
    thank you!

June 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I would use 1 cup of cooked spinach that is packed and drained :)

48. Marianne

June 17, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Just made these for my 10 month old and she really likes them! Thank you. I omitted the extra salt.

49. Joanne

June 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

How would you reheat after being in the freezer?

50. Jen

May 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Do you think cottage cheese could be substituted for the ricotta, we have a ricotta allergy?

May 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I haven’t tested it with cottage cheese, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know how they turn out!

51. mae

May 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm

for an egg allergy, what could we sub for eggs? flax?

thanks!!

May 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

hmm for this recipe, sound a little tricky. The egg is the main binder so not sure how it would hold if you used the flax/water sub. Do you have any other egg substitute in mind?

52. Missy

April 25, 2011 at 8:23 am

Would adding chopped turkey bacon to make these more of a breakfast treat work or would it change the finished product too much? I’m looking for a breakfast-y version of an egg-based “muffin.”

April 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I don’t think much would change if you added 1/2 a cup of chopped turkey bacon :) it would be so good1

53. Yvonne

April 25, 2011 at 7:20 am

These are fantastic!!! I used a little broccoli as well as spinach and they turned out great.

54. Mommy C

April 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

I made these a while ago and my son (14 months at the time) wouldn’t eat them. In the spirit of making him try things more than once, I froze the rest. Two days ago (now 15 months) I was searching for something to give him instead of our overly spicy meal (that was too spicy for me), I pulled them out, nuked them till they were warm and he loved it! So glad that I didn’t give up and just eat them myself. :)

55. Maia

March 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Well, I had high hopes after reading all the comments, but unfortunately my 19 month old son was not impressed. He loves mini muffins, but he won’t have anything to do with these, even though he likes ricotta and eats other things seasoned with onion and garlic. The good news is that my husband and I find them delicious and are quickly eating up the whole batch! I’ll try again with my son in a few more months and with any luck he’ll be more receptive then.

56. Jenna Shields

February 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! The kids love it and I love it for a nice quick lunch – especially the leftovers!

57. Kim

February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Lifesaver with my 11 month old, who is going through a picky phase! This recipe (without the onion and a little less parm) got the “happy hands” wave of approval. She could feed them to herself or eat off of a fork—having these options also made her happy. Thank you!

58. EandSMom

October 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

My husband loved them and my 3 year old ate it but only because he had to, 11 month old poo poo’d it.

59. Missy

October 23, 2010 at 5:34 pm

How long will these keep in the refrigerator? I’m making them tomorrow and am wondering how many days of daycare snacks I’ll have before they get yucky.

October 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm

You can also freeze these. They are good in the fridge for about 2-3 days since there is a raw egg in them :)

60. nadia

October 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

what would i have to do differently if i used fresh baby spinach? :)

October 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Saute the spinach and then squeeze all it’s water out :) then follow the recipe!

61. Sarah

October 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Unbelievably good! Added kale too, they were mostly green but my daughter ate two anyway with dinner. Definitely a keeper!

62. Ryan

September 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I added chopped mushrooms to the second batch, phenomenal. made the mistake of baking them at work, and ended up passing most them out to customers!

63. Ashley

September 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I added sliced mushrooms and sauteed them with the garlic and onion in the beginning. They were very good, thanks for sharing! My husband looked at them a little strange, but had at least 6 when I gave him a bit of marinara to dip them in. Our 3yo ate one without too much fuss. I was a bit surprised. I have a few in the freezer for later.

64. Jennifer D

August 21, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I made these any my daughter liked them– had two at dinner! They came out a little bland because I went light on the salt, but they are very yummy.

65. Lorrie

August 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

these were a huge hit with my 2 yr old! thanks!!

66. Erin

August 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

These. Are. Awesome! These are even better than those frozen mini quiche appetizers! I put some chunks of ham in my food processor and pulsed until it was shredded and fluffy. I figured it would add some extra protein. Delicious! My 9-month old couldn’t stop saying “mmmmm.”

My only problem was that they stuck a bit in the muffin tins. I greased them well with olive oil. Am I doing something wrong?

August 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hm, you shouldn’t have a problem if you are greasing the tins,what kind of tins are you using? are they nonstick?

• Lindsay

September 9, 2010 at 8:16 am

I had a problem with mine sticking also, and my pans were nonstick and greased. I just cooked them a little longer and they were fine.

67. Jill

August 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I made this today for lunch for ME! I cooked them on a cookie sheet and made ’rounds’. So beautiful! I topped them on a green salad with veggies on the side. It was awesome!

68. Karen

August 19, 2010 at 9:51 am

If I don’t have mozzarella, can I use cheddar insted?

• Betsy

August 23, 2010 at 11:59 am

I just made them with cheddar. They were delish!!

August 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Yes, but it will change the flavor of the bites. But, you can still give it a try :)

69. Pingback: What a Great Idea! « South Austin Frozen Entree Swappers

70. Pingback: Spinache-cheese muffins | Recipes4Kidz

71. Donya

August 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm

My Italian family went NUTS over these. You have to rousing approval of some of the most stubborn Italian eaters on the planet. Ricotta+spinach+healthy = EPIC WIN!! Thank you

72. Emily

August 13, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I made these today and my son is gobbling them up. Out of laziness, I made some changes- I used 1.5 pkgs of spinach because I had leftovers. I didn’t use onion, garlic or butter, I just threw some garlic powder on it. Then we were out of mozerella so I used a “mexican blend”. I baked it in a regular size muffin tin. They are good and now that I know they work, I’m going to make a large batch for the freezer.

73. Reina P.

August 12, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I made these today, subbing fresh sauteed curly kale from my CSA share…and both of the kids liked them!! My 3 yr old still required ketchup (but that didn’t surprise me), my 8 yr old inhaled 2 before swimming lessons and asked that they be in his camp lunch tomorrow!!! Thanks weelicious!!

74. Sarah

August 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Is there any harm in blending/pureeing the spinach before adding to the cheese mixture? If my munchkin sees green flecks, he’s going to fold! :) – there really needs to be an eye-roll icon :)

August 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

It might be too watery if you puree and it will change the consistency and maybe not even bake through well. Have you tried chopping it up?

• Sarah

October 14, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Plus if you pureed it the whole muffin would be green rather than just leaves here and there. :)

75. Deb

August 11, 2010 at 8:09 pm

You’ve done it again, Catherine. Although I fibbed and redirected my son to the cheese part of the recipe, I actually used close to 16 ounces of spinach and he gobbled them up like a madman. This from a boy who avoids green vegetables like the plague (and most other color vegetables, too)! Thank you so much!

76. Sarah

August 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm

WOW, these are good! I know what I’m making next time I need hors d’oeuvres. And my daughter enjoyed them, too. ;)

77. Lucy

August 9, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Made these tonight & my 19-month-old loved them! He’s stopped eating vegetables until tonight, so thank you! We’ll definitely make these again. (The 9 yo liked them, too. The 6 yo … well, she said they’re okay.)

78. Polar Bear

August 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Thank You!!!
    I made these tonight, and my 15month old -picky eater- ate three of them. My husband said ‘Eeeewwwww’, when he first came home from work. After trying one he changed his mind and ate four of them and said these would make a great appetizer! I think he’s right. They are delicious!!

79. Ashlee

August 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

Thanks for another great recipe! I made these for my toddler and me and we loved them.
    In case you’re interested, I blogged about it here: http://somaybemomwasright.blogspot.com/2010/08/spinach-ricotta-bites.html

80. Melissa

August 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm

My daughter has not had egg whites yet. How many egg yolks would you need instead of two whole eggs?
    Love your recipes!

81. Chris

August 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Just made these tonight for my daughter who is 2 1/2 and she gobbled every last bite of them up!!! what great recipes. Thanks from Canada!!

82. Stephanie

August 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm

These were delicious. Thanks!

83. Autumn

August 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

My 11 month old and 3.5 year old LOVED these! As did mommy:)

84. Joy

August 3, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m thinking about putting these together one evening, then baking them for supper the next night. Would you recommend freezing them overnight, or would refrigerating them work? Or would it work better to go on and bake them, and then reheat them the next night?

Thanks; love the blog!

August 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I have not frozen this recipe and I am not sure how it will be because there is ricotta and eggs in them so I would suggest that you bake them and refrigerate them over night and reheat :)

85. Daphne

August 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm

These sound great! My son will eat spinach so they might just work. I’m glad Andrea tried using cottage cheese because I was wondering if it would work.

86. NaomiL

August 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

My picky 14 month old ate two and wanted more…

87. Anais

August 1, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I am severely allergic to egg but want to make this recipe for the kids. What can I use as a substitute?

August 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

For an egg binder, you can combine 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water and pour that in. It will taste a little nutty because of the flax seed but you really need it to bind everything together.

88. Dana

August 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Just made these – my 2 year old, who hates anything green, gobbled it up. This is a keeper!! Thanks! I tasted it and it’s definitely a delicious little mini-quiche. Wish I’d had a mini-muffin tin but only had a big one.

August 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Awesome!! I love a successful recipe!

89. Abby

August 1, 2010 at 7:04 am

Made these yesterday – really enjoyed them – and so did my 10 month old. I might cut down the spinach to 3/4 a box or so…personal taste though!

Thanks!

90. Andrea

July 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Made these tonight but didn’t have ricotta so I substituted Cottage Cheese. They were so good. :o)

91. Gretchen

July 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

I love the recipe service! A new thing to try every day. I made these for the kids. Didn’t work (even for my little foodie) because the kids could see the spinach. Next time I will blend the mix so that it’s uniformly green. Green eggs and ham! Will look for the spinach gnooch-wee recipe and give it a try. In the meantime, leftovers are great for mommy’s breakfast!

92. Alan

July 30, 2010 at 4:04 am

A great recipe by you. I will try it next week. It looks really good in the picture. Thanks for these wonderful recipes.

93. Erica

July 29, 2010 at 11:56 pm

If I were to make these for a potluck, how long will they be good after taking them out of the oven?

July 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

They will be good all night, just let them cool to room temp and refidgerate and when you are ready just pop them into the oven to heat a little through.

94. TravelingMom

July 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Made these tonight. They were good!

95. skymommy

July 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I made these tonight and they were fab! My 14 month old mowed down 4 of them and my uber picky 6 yr old devoured at least 5!!!

Bravo Weelicious! We will definitely be trying way more over your recipes.

96. Cassie

July 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Looks so yummy, reminds me a bit of my daughter’s favorite “chicken nuggets” that are actually spinach nuggets from Costco. I just need to figure out a recipe for spinach nuggets now!

Thanks Catherine for all the GREAT recipes and inspiration in the kitchen!

97. Lisa

July 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Looks great, think they’d freeze well?

• Becky

August 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm

They freese beautifully….my son loves them and the babysitter always has them in the fridge for a snack or with lunch.

• Sarah

July 29, 2010 at 5:39 pm

My 15 month old loves the Spinach Gnooch-Wee, those froze well for us and also include Ricotta, hopefully this will be the same. I can’t wait to try this when I get home tonight!

• Jessica

August 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm

The ricotta will freeze just fine…it’s a staple in Italian households :) I always make extra veggie lasagna, stuffed shells and baked eggplant to pop in the freezer and never have a problem.

July 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm

With this recipe, it is hard to tell because it has Ricotta in them. I haven’t frozen these but if you let me know how they turn out!

98. Elita @ Blacktating

July 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

This is basically the recipe for low-carb quiche that those of us who have been on Atkins for years will recognize :) When I make this, I typically add in some turkey bacon as well. I personally wouldn’t waste my fresh baby spinach on this recipe, I’d use frozen and use the spinach for a salad instead. I also put this in regular-sized muffin tins and it works great, except of course you will lose a little of the “kid friendly” factor because they will be bigger.

• Alaskamum

July 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Similar to the South Beach one as well. The fav version at my house has diced red and green bell pepper, onion, spinach with a little Cheddar and Parmesan in it. Sometime we add a little turkey sausage or bacon as well.

99. Blanca

July 29, 2010 at 9:16 am

Same here. I only have the regular-sized muffin tins

100. Jennifer

July 29, 2010 at 8:31 am

I have a bunch of fresh baby spinach, do u recommend cooking this down and using it or just opt for frozen version???

July 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

You may use fresh or frozen. I prefer frozen because it cuts the cooking time in half and is already chopped and prepared. But either way would be fine. :)

101. yeni

July 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

Ooh, these look great! How long do you think the baking time will be if using regular-sized muffin tins?

July 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Bake them for 25-28 minutes :) they are so good!

102. Heather

July 29, 2010 at 7:37 am

These look so yummy. Hope my picky non-green eater will eat these up! Will these freeze well?

103. Jennifer

July 29, 2010 at 5:50 am

We don’t eat grains so I am always excited to see a “muffin” recipe without flour. I can not wait to try these!