Coming up with this recipe was a happy accident. I was working on some exciting new Peanut Butter and Jelly school lunch recipes and thought the idea of Peanut Butter Pancake Sandwiches (coming soon) with preserves in the middle sounded like something I would have flipped for as a kid. I ended up testing them several times to arrive at the perfect combination, but I still had a ton of batter leftover. I hate wasting food, but I was also too lazy to make 100 pancakes. So, just to see what would happen, I poured it all into mini muffin tins and popped them in the oven. I couldn't believe the results. Why hadn't I thought of this before! They had become the perfect "muffin" as Chloe called it or "cupcake" as Kenya chimed in. Inspired to take things one step further, I whisked together some strawberry preserves and cream cheese to make "icing" and -- voila -- the Breakfast Cupcake was born!
They're light and fluffy like a pancake and with the airy "frosting" it's a treat that you can happily serve any time of day and your little one will adore them. The best part is that you'll have a new good morning surprise for your family and they'll never know these cupcakes aren't loaded with sugar. Accidents happen and aren't they delicious!
Breakfast Cupcakes (Makes 20 Mini Cupcakes)
- 1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter (you can also use almond, cashew, or sunflower butter)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsps Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup Milk (low fat or whole)
- <br> greek yogurt
- Jelly Frosting greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipped or regular cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup jelly, jam or preserves
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the peanut butter, egg and sugar until combined, then whisk in the milk until incorporated.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined (you don\\\\\\'t want to over beat the mixture).
5. Grease or line mini muffin tins and fill 2/3 of the way up with the batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Spread the top of each cupcake with frosting (recipe below) and serve.
*This batter can also be used to make pancakes
Jelly Frosting (Makes about 2 cups)
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until throughly combined (you want the mixture to be smooth like frosting).
2. Spread on cupcakes and serve.