At this time of year when kids are headed back to school, most moms are focused on a million things, among them, trying to put together healthy school lunches that their kids will hopefully enjoy. Though possibly even more important than what's for lunch, is offering your little ones a meal first thing in the morning that will give them a boost of energy to get them out the door and stay focused in the classroom.
Oatmeal is not only nutritious, but also inexpensive and a real "stick to your ribs" food. It's delicious with a bit of honey or a touch of maple syrup, but why not add some blueberries for added vitamins and sweet flavor? Berry Delicious Oatmeal is not only bright and colorful, it's a breakfast that will send your kids off to school with a smile on their faces.
Berry Delicious Oatmeal (Serves 2)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Milk (almond, rice, soy or cow’s milk)
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats (Five Minute Oats)
- 1 Tbsp Honey, Maple Syrup or Agave Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries, Blackberries and/or Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
Preparation1. Bring the water and milk to a boil.
2. Add the oats, reduce to a simmer over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until thick and creamy.
3. Add the honey, maple syrup or agave and berries, cook an additional minute or until the berries are warmed-through and start to pop (I like to add frozen berries so the oatmeal cools faster for kids to eat).
*If serving to a baby under 1 year old, don’t use honey