Potato Turkey Balls

It's the day after Thanksgiving and I've got a fridge full of leftover turkey, potatoes and gravy! What can you do to use everything so there's no waste, but change it up a bit at the same time? Make Potato Turkey Balls!

Potato Turkey Balls  (Makes 18 Balls)

• 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
  • 2 large eggs, whisked in seperate bowls
  • 1 cup roast turkey meat, chopped
  • 1 cup cheese (monterrey jack, mozzarella, or cheddar), grated
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs (white or wholewheat)

1. 1. Stir the mashed potatoes and 1 whisked egg in a bowl until combined and set aside.
  2. 2. In a seperate bowl, combine the chopped turkey meat and grated cheese stirring to combine.
  3. 3. Take 2 tsps of the turkey cheese mixture and form into 1 inch balls (you want to roll them tight so the turkey and cheese bind together).
  4. 4. Take 2 tbsp of the potato egg mixture and form a patty in the palm of your hand, place a turkey cheese ball in the center and fold the potato mixture around the turkey cheese ball to make a larger ball.
  5. 5. Place the second whisked egg in a bowl and the breadcrumbs in a seperate bowl.
  6. 6. Roll each potato ball gently into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs covering the balls completely.
  7. 7. Fry the potato balls for 60 seconds until the outside is crispy or bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
  8. 8. Serve with gravy.

Accompaniments: Gravy for dipping

Potato Turkey Balls

Comments

1. Mili Brooks

December 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Another recipie that is a success with my 2 years old daughter!. I cooked them with the veggie nuggets mix and she loved them! Thanks again!

2. Pingback: Thanksgiving Leftovers One Meal At A Time - Kiddology

3. pEBELS

November 30, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I would love to try this, but I’m wondering if I can do it with ground turkey or even turkey breast? I don’t have the space to do your brine recipe (which sounds delicious), but Im hoping to add all the ingredient to the ground or breast meat. Any suggestions?

4. D

November 25, 2011 at 11:32 am

I tried this for lunch today. But the mashed potato/egg mixture was very soft and fell off. It was a terrible gooey mess. Have I done something wrong? Did anyone else have this problem? I even used day old mashed potatoes.

• Jay

February 4, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I probably solhudn’t admit how it takes me back to childhood Christmases, but I do love this stuff. I am still looking for those Christmas decorations (large, about 18 tall) that were made out of melted together plastic chips into shapes like a big Santa, reindeers, bells, etc . inspired to check again on ebay.

5. how to

November 1, 2011 at 5:16 am

Hi there, simply become aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it is really informative. I?m gonna be careful for brussels. I?ll be grateful in case you continue this in future. A lot of folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

6. Jennifer

September 26, 2011 at 8:13 am

These were really good, but the frying didn’t work out for us. My husband tried to fry half of them & the potatoes fell off. :) That’s all right since I prefer not to fry foods anyway. I’m not sure if it was because I assembled them one night & cooked them for lunch the next day, but whatever – I baked the other half & they turned out great.

• Jennifer

September 26, 2011 at 8:19 am

I just reread the instructions & it dawned on me that I forgot the second egg. That is probably why the potatoes fell off when frying – whoops!

7. PattiR

December 27, 2010 at 9:30 am

Another great recipe! Both my toddlers loved these. My husband asked, you’re not going to save these just for holidays are you?? I added some shredded carrots to the potatoes, which gave them a little hint of sweetness (and a fun color!). This recipe is a keeper!

8. Lyndsey

December 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm

My 16 month daughter normally will not eat mashed potatoes, unless they are sweet potatoes and she loved these!! I added cooked chopped broccoli in the turkey mixture, it worked really well. She ate it all, so it was an added bonus!

• Joy B

December 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for suggesting the broccoli! I added some and they came out great – my son loved them! I think they would taste better fried (I baked) but I was trying to keep it healthy for my toddler. Luckily he loves them.

• angelajo

February 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm

great idea!

9. Erin

December 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I don’t suggest using freshly made mashed potatoes for this. They were simply way too soft to form into patties. Next time I make mashed potatoes, I’ll make an extra large batch and refrigerate the leftovers for use in this recipe.

10. Pingback: Healthy Holiday Ideas & Recipes from Catherine McCord of Weelicious | She Scribes

11. vmeyn4

November 28, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Just made them and they were de-lish! My very picky little guy doesn’t like the consistency of mashed potatoes so I made a few without (just the turkey and cheese). He gobbled them up! Thanks for the great ideas!

12. Pingback: Baby Food Recipes: How To Make Healthy Hommade Baby Food

13. shauna

November 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Sounds good. We have recently gone on a gluten free diet :( Any way to make these without it?

• Crystal

November 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Kinnikinnick makes a gluten-free panko style bread crumb.

• Kerry

November 29, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Is wheat germ gluten free? I rolled these in wheat germ instead of bread crumbs – they turned out great! (I baked instead of fried)

November 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm

You could try using bread crumbs using a gluten free bread. Will work perfectly.

14. Marco

November 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

Excellent! I’ll definitely try this recipe … congratulations for the blog. If I may I point out a blog where there are Italian Genovese specialties …

15. Jessica

November 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm

These look delicious and like something my picky 2 year old would actually eat! I have a lot of leftover mashed sweet potatoes, do you think that would be an easy substitute for regular mashed potatoes?

November 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

You can try it. I think they’re better with mashed potatoes b/c they have a lot more starch, so they’re easier to roll into balls.

16. Barbara

November 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yummy – can these be frozen?

• Anita

February 3, 2014 at 2:44 am

I heard they wanted to inldcue it in the EU, but I also know that they suffer a lot of European xenophobia, largely in Germany. When I was in Germany in Kassel I have not seen many non-European, some blacks only. But Berlin is Turkey itself! It is the largest Turkish community outside Turkey, men are recognizable by appearance, and women by use of the Hijab (Muslim women’s Clothing). If Turkey is truly first world country, why so much immigration?

November 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I would say yes, especially if you’re going to fry them