These Oven Baked Fries have been on the site for years, but in the past 2 weeks I've made them three times, so I wanted to give them love as they're CRAZY good! If you make them you have to tell me in the comments below what you love to dip them in. Happy rewind Wednesday!
Last week I had the moment many moms with kids older than mine have warned me about. I was driving with Kenya and at one point he looked out the window and said, "Mommy, what's that place over there with the playground and hamburgers on the sign?" Now, I grew up eating McDonald’s, but now that I know what's really inside fast food meals, I'm committed to trying to keep my kids away from it for as long as possible.
That doesn't mean that I want them to miss out on the fun foods I enjoyed as a kid (and still enjoy), like burgers and fries. I simply want them eating the healthiest possible versions of those foods and I’ve realized through a lot of testing, that to do so, you don’t have to sacrifice great taste.
For example, take one of my favorites_ French fries. Instead of deep frying, I bake them in the oven. My “fries” come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and I serve them up with a side ofketchup and mustard, just the way that I used to enjoy them when I was little. Do you think if I take Kenya and Chloe to our neighborhood playground with a sack of these it will be as much fun for them as a McDonald’s? My bet is as long as we're all together sharing fun and “fries”, it will be!
Photos by Matt Armendariz
Oven Baked Fries (Serves 4)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Place raw cut “fries” into a colander and rinse under cold water (to remove the starchy exterior of the potato). Then, pat “fries” dry with a towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
3. Place “fries” on to a sheet tray, drizzle with the oil and salt, and toss to coat.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then toss and bake for an additional 10 minutes (for a total of 30 minutes).
Ketchup, Mustard, BBQ Sauce