Banana Dog Bites

Have you ever thought about how many peanut butter and something sandwiches you've made for your kids? I think I lost count about two years ago. To alleviate the monotony of day in, day out sammie making (for both me and my kids), I've started whipping up these Banana Dog Bites.

Kenya couldn't stop laughing when I asked him, "you wanna make banana dogs?" He just kept saying, "what's a banana dog? That's so silly!" But he loved spreading the nut butter on the tortilla, peeling the banana, laying it in it's "tortilla bed" (that got another big laugh) and rolling it up for the banana to "sleep tight" (still more giggles). Then I simply cut the Banana Dogs into half-inch sushi-style pieces (which looked adorable), and sent him off to school with them. But it wasn’t until his lunch box came home totally empty that I realized just how yummy they were!

Banana Dog Bites  (Serves 4)

• 2 bananas, peeled
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter, divided (you could also use almond or sunflower butter)
  • 2 tortillas

1. 1. Place one tortilla on a flat surface and spread 2 tbsp of peanut butter on the tortilla to evenly coat.
  2. 2. Place one banana near the edge of the tortilla and roll it up.
  3. 3. Slice into 1/2 inch rounds and serve.
  4. *If your tortilla bread is stiff, you can put it in the microwave in between two pieces of moist paper towel and heat for 15-20 seconds or until softened.
Banana Dog Bites

Comments

1. Pingback: 5 Cheap and Healthy Kid Friendly Recipes

2. Poetri

February 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Me.. It isnt fake, i saw him 2 times.. He want to kill me right round, check my youtube canenhl, oDarknessAngel, i gonna put the movie i made in a hamachi server with my buddy..

3. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 7 Kid-Friendly Sandwiches Perfect For School Lunch

4. Pingback: The A+ Guide to Perfectly Packed Lunches (+ 45 Delicious Recipes!)

5. Pingback: Get your kids excited for lunch again with Weelicious! #GiveawayMudPiesAndTiaras.com

6. Pingback: 44 “On the Go” Clean Bites from Around the Blogosphere ! | My Fit Station

7. adrimolina

September 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Really easy & delicious! I made some with almond butter, peanut butter and since my husband isn’t a big nut butter fan I also made some with Nutella for him.

8. Pingback: See Mom Run: Help! My Daughter Is a Picky Eater | PhillyMag

9. Pingback: 4 fun & healthy ways to jazz up your kids lunchboxes | ironmumkarla.com.auironmumkarla.com.au

10. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of September 2nd | One Mama's Daily Drama

11. Pingback: Weekly Round Up: Breakfasts On-the-Go! — Cooking During Stolen Moments

12. Pingback: The A+ Guide to Perfectly Packed Lunches (and 45 Delicious Recipes!) - Henry Happened

13. Pingback: Too Tired to Try Tuesday: Banana Dog Bites |

14. Catherine D.

August 10, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I make these all the time! If you want to add some crunch to it, sunflower seeds (without the shell) make a great addition!

15. Pingback: Food Fighting: An Update |

16. Pingback: Around the Web: Kid Friendly Recipes | SocialCafe Magazine

17. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

November 11, 2012 at 11:08 pm

so simple. must try these!

18. Steph

September 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My youngest is allergic to peanut butter so we used nutella. They are so good. My kids loved them. I was even snacking on them as well. :)

19. Pingback: 10 fast back to school sandwich recipes | My Family Blog

20. Kathie

September 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

Can’t send them to school with my grand-daughter…they are nut free because of an allergy. But these would make a great after Kindergarten snack!

21. Amanda

September 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thank you. I’m going to try these with Nutella.

22. Jessica Ashland

August 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Also curious as to whether they freeze and/or refrigerate well…

August 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I have made these and left them out at room temperature for several hours and they held up well. I have not tried freezing them. They are super easy to make and I prefer making these in the morning if it is for school lunch instead of the night before.

23. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

24. KeriVP

August 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm

This is a simple recipe, but a great idea. I hadn’t thought of using a whole wheat tortilla, and he loved it!

25. Lag

August 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Do they taste ok if refrigerated over night?

26. Pingback: Cute Kid Friendly Recipes « My Little Button

27. Pingback: The essential school lunch guide | Buy Online Shop Now

28. Pingback: 5 enkle sommersnacks til barna : Foreldremanualen

29. Pingback: SUMMER FUN! Cooking with Kids Ideas… | Excited 2 Learn

30. Pingback: 10 quick and healthy breakfast ideas | My Family Blog

31. Pingback: Erotic massage

32. Pingback: dong

33. Pingback: Nasal allergies are widespread problems occurring in a great many people that can be helped with Flonase

34. Pingback: dog videos

35. Pingback: Making our way through the ABCs | AtlantaMom411

36. Megan

September 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I just made these for my son today! He is 2 years old and he LOVES bananas, so I was grateful for a new way to serve them! We made the recipe as directed, but I heated the wrap up in a pan to get the tortilla a bit crunchy for him! He loved it! Thanks for all the wonderful creations!

37. Pingback: Brain-Boosting Breakfast: 5 "tilbage-til-hverdagen" morgenmads-ideer - JuniorBusiness

38. Pingback: Friday Snack Attack: Banana Dog Bites | KneeBlogger

39. Norma

June 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I tried this today on my kids. My daughter ate it with no problem but my son didn’t like it.

40. Anna

April 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

I made this for breakfast this morning and they were so delicious. My daughter loved them!

41. Pingback: 5 Easy Healthy Snacks from the Webinar « Healthy Moms – Healthy Babies

42. kristine

March 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

In our house these are called Monkey Wraps. The kids do love them!

43. Rachel

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm

My son loved this! He loves corn dogs (but rarely gets them), and I am happy to now have a fun and healthy alternative. Thanks!

44. Beth

February 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

I just wanted to say how much I love this website! I’ve been running out of lunch ideas for my 2 year old and I’m definitely going to use quite a few of your recipes. I also plan on packing her lunches when she starts going to school and I loved the lunch picture guide you have posted on your facebook. Such an inspiration!

45. Nikki C

February 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm

My daughter thought that thie was the best lunch ever!

46. Suemm

February 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Great recipe!!!!

47. Glynis

February 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

So cute, so simple, so yummy! Thanks for a quick, easy, kid-friendly recipe just in time for me to take to brunch at a friend’s house today. I know our kiddos will gobble them up. I’m also taking the Oatmeal On-The-Go bars. :)

48. Quincy

February 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Great for two of my kids, but any suggestions welcome for an alternative to peanut butter for my nut allergy 4 year old?

February 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm

You can use sunflower butter :)

49. Lauren

February 21, 2011 at 12:29 am

So simple and yummy! My daughter enjoyed it and I had to have one too!

50. MuckDiva

February 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm

These are super cute, easy, and yummy. DD LOVED them. I used whole wheat and they are a bit hit. I am planning on making them as an appetizer for a brunch next week. I am going to make one set with Nutella, apple butter, and peanut.

51. Adrianna

February 19, 2011 at 1:20 am

I love this! PB & Bananas were a special treat for my dad and me growing up. My mom thought it was gross. I need to show her this :D

52. Marci

February 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I can’t wait to make these with my three year old son. He loves helping me out in the kitchen. I also think that my thirteen year old son is going to love these as an after school snack. Thank you for the fun idea!

53. Rose

February 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I read this last night while the kids were in bed. I realized I had all the ingredients and made it for my husband and I to “sample”. We are both fans of these :-) I might even make them for the kids….

54. Dana @ Budget Dietitian

February 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Yum! I haven’t been able to get enough of bananas and pb lately!

55. Elizabeth, blogger for SunButter

February 17, 2011 at 8:50 am

Yum!
    As a SunButter blogger, love all the great ideas. As a fellow mom, just made these (with SunButter of course, and a bit of honey) and packed ‘em in the lunches for today. Thanks for the timely inspiration!

56. Theresa

February 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Can’t wait to try this! We usually make dragon skin – peanut butter and banana slices on toast – my son loves his dragon skin so I’m sure he will love this! Thanks for a great idea

57. angie

February 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m going to have to try this one. I bet my 2 year old would love em!

58. Mikal

February 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm

We make these too, but use a hotdog bun instead. Kids love them!

59. Aliya

February 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I think these would make a perfect finger food for the upcoming 3 year birthday party of my son. :D

60. Alexis

February 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I do these with honey and a sprinkly of wheat germ added. The kiddos love them!

61. Holly

February 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm

My mom used to make these when we were younger and she would also spread applesauce and warm it up in the microwave for our “after school snack”, yum!

62. Tamara

February 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thank you – very inspiring post! Really love the addition of a crispy cereal in there, too.

63. Heather

February 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

We do this a lot at my house. We LOVE peanut butter and banana. And if you don’t have tortillas, just flatten a piece of bread with a rolling pin or glass. YUM!

64. Sharon

February 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm

My friend’s mom used to make these all the time when we were little – but she didn’t cut them, and they were dubbed “banana burritos.” :)

65. Catherine

February 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm

YES…I have bananas, sunflower butter, and ww tortillas. I am making these today! Would they freeze well?

February 17, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hmmm, I haven’t tried to freeze them. Anyone else? I will give it a roll tomorrow and tell you!

66. Amy V.

February 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I make a similar banana roll-up, WW Tortilla, PB, Honey, Corn Flakes, and a banana sliced length-wise. Love them!

67. Allison

February 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’ve been making these every day for my own lunch lately! Sometimes I use Nutella instead of peanut butter when I want a super yummy treat. I actually just tried Nutella for the first time last week and oh my am I in love. I haven’t given any to my kids though because I’m afraid they’ll never let me give them anything else again =).

68. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

February 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

These are super cute!

69. Amanda

February 16, 2011 at 9:37 am

I make these all the time for my kids. They love them. Sometimes I will use Nutella, cream cheese and jelly, but either way they love that they can just pick them up with their fingers and pop them in their mouth!

70. Kirsten

February 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

awesome, awesome, awesome idea!

71. Kim

February 16, 2011 at 7:17 am

My mom use to make these for us as a treat using crustless bread. My kid is definitely getting these for lunch today. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and for the great idea!

72. Julie

February 16, 2011 at 5:07 am

does the banana brown in the lunch box?

• Alicia in the SC

August 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You can also dust them with some crushed Vitamin C tablets to add a little vitamin power AND prevent browning. =)

February 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm

if you put a little lemon juice on it, it won’t :)