Pan Seared Beef Tenderloin

Since when did my kids become such carnivores? Hubby and I have never been big red meat eaters, but our parents are. So whenever Kenya and Chloe are with their grandparents, they end up having a few bites of bacon or steak -- that is until my husband realizes what's happening and puts an end to it! My husband is actually ok with the kids eating beef on occasion, but he prefers that it be grass-fed whenever possible.

Luckily for us, we have an incredible butcher shop in our neighborhood that almost exclusively sells grass-fed beef. Recently, I bought a nice tenderloin from them for our dinner. Have you ever heard an (almost) 2 year old scream, "MORE STEAK"!!! Well, that was what Chloe was declaring after she finished her first serving. It's proof to me that just because Mommy and Daddy may not really eat a certain food that the little ones won't enjoy it. The funniest part of this whole experience for me was watching my hubby, the occasional vegetarian, sharing -- and loving -- a tender, juicy and flavorful steak with his little girl. It just goes to show that sometimes it’s the little ones who are the good influence on their parents and that food, like love, knows no boundaries. :)

Pan Seared Beef Tenderloin  (Serves 4)

• 1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into 4 fillets
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Lightly sprinkle each fillet with 1 tsp of salt on all sides.
  3. 3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil over a medium/high heat in an oven safe sauté pan and sear each side of the steak for 2 minutes.
  4. 4. Remove pan from the stove, place in the oven and cook for 9-11 minutes for medium doneness.*
  5. 5. Remove fillets from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
  6. 6. Slice and serve.
  7. *Time for steak is approximate, each piece of meat you buy may slightly have a different thickness. Therefore, the cooking time may be a little longer.
Pan Seared Beef Tenderloin

Comments

1. Luck

November 16, 2012 at 2:55 am

Simple, hassle-free and yummy! Catherine, you work magic with your recipes!!!

2. loverecipes

July 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

In the Midwest our cattle start off as grass-fed and brought in to be corn fed before going to the butcher and there is no comparison to grass-fed cattle. I’ve eaten the grass fed cattle when traveling and can’t wait to get back home for Midwest beef again.

I will have to try this recipe. It looks very good and easy to do. Thanks

3. Pingback: WHOLE FOODS September 2011 OAMM Menu (OAMC, Freezer Cooking, Bulk Cooking, Power Cooking) | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

4. LaDsna

April 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm

This beef tenderloin is perfection in a pan!!!

5. Michelle

March 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Made it this weekend for dad-in-law…IT WAS PERFECT!! Subbed in high-quality sirloins to save a little $$, and heated the oven w/ a couple glass pie plates in there while I pan seared, then transferred my seared steaks right into the hot pie places in the oven–perfect. Stand time is essential to allow the center to finish perfectly, I think. Even thick steaks were ideal, and I always have a prob w/ that. Yet another keeper. THANKS!!!!

6. Annette

March 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Looks yummy! I included it in my weekend roundup post here:

7. Gina

March 15, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thank you for this recipe. We love grass fed beef and try to incorporate into our weekly menu plan at least 1 or 2x per week. Great quality red meat and it’s saturated fat is so good for the little ones developing brains and bodies! I would love to see more red meat recipes, this one was fabulous!

8. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

March 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

oh, this looks soooo good. I think i’ll put that on the menu for next month. I am totally in agreement with the grass-fed (also no hormones/antibiotics) on the animals. But, the butcher we go to is a good 45 minute drive, so we only go once a month. But I will make sure to add this to my order. thanks for posting!

9. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

March 15, 2011 at 9:24 pm

We have the exact opposite situation at our house. My carnivorous husband tries to get my veggie daughter to eat the steak, which she promptly throws off of her plate. :-)

10. Nicole

March 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

My 3 year-old just gobbled this up, along with the cucumber salad. We also had it with the mushroom barley, which he wouldn’t touch. 2 out of 3 isn’t bad!

11. kthorn10

March 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

what is the menu for your tenderloin? is it mashed potatoes and lima beans? looks great!

March 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Mashed potatoes and edamame

12. jj0402

March 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Can you transfer it to a different dish if you don’t have an oven safe saute pan?

March 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Yes, you can easily transfer it to a baking sheet :)

13. Erika

March 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Now, this is what I’m talking about Catherine!