Egg Pesto Melt

This has obviously happened to me more than once, so I've devised a few recipes to have up my sleeve on nights like these in order to feed my super hungry posse in (way) under 20 minutes. I adore pesto, eggs and bread. They have long shelf lives and are always on hand in my fridge. Thank goodness I can use them to make something my guys not only like -- but really love, like this Egg Pesto Melt -- so I don't have the mommy guilt of not getting a decent meal on the table.

Even when I'm short on time and still have a night of bath, brushing teeth, books, and bed ahead of me (phew, I'm exhausted...do these days ever end?), at least I can be assured we all have bellies full of nutritious food.

Egg Pesto Melt  (Makes 1 Sandwich)

Home late!!! Trying to catch my breath after carrying two children and an armful of bags up the stairs and into the house. Shoes off, someone's screaming, I'm trying to get settled. Wait a minute. Dinner?!?! This has obviously happened to me more...

• 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon pesto
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread

1. 1. Whisk the egg and pesto in a bowl.
  2. 2. Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture, tilting the pan to spread it evenly across the bottom.
  3. 3. Allow the egg to cook for one minute, using a rubber spatula to gently pull the egg away from the sides of the pan so the rest of the liquid egg can continue to coat the pan and cook.
  4. 4. Using the spatula, fold the outside parts of the omelet inwards into a square shape (to fit the bread).
  5. 4. Remove the square-shaped omelet to a plate, place a slice of bread topped with half of the shredded cheese, cheese side up, in the pan. Top with the omelette, remaining cheese and slice of bread. Cook for 1 minutes on each side until golden.
Egg Pesto Melt

Comments

1. Pingback: 9 Back to School Lunchbox Ideas

2. Kate

September 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I keep wanting to ask: Do these keep well for a school lunch? (And I presume they’re then eaten cold??) I’m having trouble picturing my kiddos eating a cold egg sandwich for lunch but couldn’t figure out how else this could make a lunch box?

September 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yes, lunch is served at room temperature! I make the sandwich in the morning, allow it to cool, then pack it (if you pack it hot it will get soggy). So by lunch time it is room temperature, but it is still crunchy and flavorful! Start serving cold or room temperature foods for breakfast and dinner at home to get your family used to it! :)

3. annah

September 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

yes please.

4. Pingback: Top 8 School Lunch Tips from Weelicious - 100 Days of Real Food

5. Pingback: Top Weelicious Lunch Tips for Back to School & Work AND a Giveaway! | Food Bloggers of Canada

6. Karin

May 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

Holy cow, this is good! You can’t go wrong with pesto but I’ve never tried it in an omelette before. I started coming to this site to get baby food recipes but since everything I’ve made has been fabulous I started looking for recipes for the rest of the family too. Keep up the good work!

7. melissa

April 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Yum! I just made this for myself and it’s delicious! Thank you for this super simple yet yummy recipe.

8. AlaskaSarah

January 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I didn’t have pesto so I used a Tbsp of bruschetta mix and a little chopped up fresh spinach instead. My son just turned three and this is the FIRST time he has ever been excited about eggs. He loved it! Thank you so much for this recipe. I can’t wait to try it with pesto!

9. Sandy

December 4, 2012 at 1:03 am

What is pesto?

December 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Pesto is a sort of sauce made of herbs, cheese, oil and nuts. The word “pesto” in the recipe is linked to this recipe here: http://weelicious.com/2011/01/05/basil-pesto/

I also have recipes for Pistachio Pesto, Pumpkin Seed Pesto and Spinach Pesto!

10. lisa

October 25, 2012 at 11:37 am

Would love a suggestion for an omelet sandwich that uses feta in the egg, or would that taste badly?

11. Pingback: Egg Pesto Melt | ZKMyway

12. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

13. zaee

August 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

do these stay ok overnight in the fridge followed by the lunch box and not get chewy? I dont have time in the mornings to prepare lunches. i always wonder about pre-grilled stuff. this one looks and sounds delicious and I just know my daughter will love it.

August 27, 2012 at 11:21 am

You can prepare this the night before! Just let it cool completely before storing in the fridge. That will help prevent it getting soggy!

• zaee

August 29, 2012 at 5:06 am

thanks!
        I made this today for her lunch and she liked it. I LOVED it for me more! This will def be part of the lunch box rotation.

14. anna

August 26, 2012 at 3:27 am

Pls add me to the mailing list

August 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

On the right-hand side of the homepage there is a box that says “Sign up for free daily recipes”. Enter your email address in there and you will be added! http://weelicious.com

15. Lezlie

July 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

We ate these today – I added smashed avocado. So yummy!

16. Petra

May 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

How about the Cat in the Hat’s Green Egg Sandwich? :D

17. Petra

May 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I make something like this all the time but use a tortilla wrap folded in half (the egg cooks and folds in half perfectly to fit when cooked in a small pan) and just add whatever I have on hand to mix in with the egg. It’s such a great anytime meal that can be eaten on the go as well!

18. MicIhelle

January 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Also, I think next time I’ll put cheese on both sides of bread so they both stick nicely together. The side with no cheese just feel right off so we ended up having open faced sandwiches.

• Sungsyum

February 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm

The rocket and alnmod pesto is on high rotation at our house during summer. Also red capsicum pesto it’s delicious as a pasta sauce with a little barbecued chicken tossed through the pasta.

19. MicIhelle

January 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Just made these for my 16 month old for lunch. She ate enough to make me happy about it. :) I thought they were delish!

20. Martha

July 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

We made these tonight for dinner. My 4 year old ate one fourth of his after I let him dip it in leftover pizza sauce. Dipping seems to be a hit in our house. My husband and loved them, especially since it was such an easy, fast recipe. We ate ours with dijon mustard on the bread because we like to put mustard on just about anything. We served stewed apples with cinnamon as a side dish.
    Thanks for all the great recipes!

21. Jane

June 27, 2011 at 12:42 am

Made for Saturday morning breakfast and kids and hubby gave it a thumbs up! Thanks!

22. Barbie

June 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

Yet another great recipe! You’re amazing!

23. Pregnant One

April 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I made these and liked them, but felt like a flavor was missing. I love tomato with pesto, so I split the amount of pesto into half pesto/half tomato paste – amazing!!!
    Breakfast, lunch, or dinner treat for life – muchas gracias, Mrs. McCord. :D

24. Sarah

April 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Made these for lunch today. They were so good. My little girl gobbled it up.

25. Susan

April 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

We haven’t tried this one yet but I simply love all of your recipes. Your website has motivated me to expand my food horizons and the choices I make for our four year old son. Ben and I love watching your videos. He always asks me “When can we go visit our friend Kenya in California”… very cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

26. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

March 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This sounds absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for another great recipe.

27. Rebekah

March 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Okay…I too love Pesto so I tried these this weekend after watching the video. My 19 month old didn’t like the pesto egg but ate all of the cheese and the bread…go figure. However my husband and I loved them…I only had american cheese which was good but I think the shredded mozzerella would be better and lower fat. Thanks for the recipe

28. Colleen

March 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm

What do you tell the kids it is to get them to eat it? I have a feeling that mine are going to look at me like I’m nuts if I say “Egg Pesto Melt”.

• Hagerwife

March 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I don’t know about your kids, but I find that when I give my kids a ‘complicated answer’ (Anything that they don’t quite understand), they like to pretend that they DO understand, and they don’t end up asking questions! The straight forward approach is usually best!

• Colleen

April 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Tried it tonight. The toddlers each took one bite and that was it. Might be better received in the future now that they have been “exposed”. But I liked mine :) And the baby really liked his ;)

29. Jen

March 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

wow! this is so simple and looks so easy! This is what we are having for dinner tonight! Thanks so much :0)

30. Lori

March 28, 2011 at 11:28 am

This is such a great idea! There are so many ways we could switch them up, too. I didn’t have any pesto, but salsa and cheddar cheese worked well as toppings. Thanks!

31. Pingback: Weelicious ™ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food … | Easy Family Style Recipes

32. Ashlee

March 28, 2011 at 5:55 am

I made these this weekend after watching your program – so delicious!! Definitely adding it to my rotation, thank you!