Grilled Asparagus

Grilled Lemon Asparagus

Yum

Hands down, this has been my kids’ most requested recipe in the past two weeks. Since the Kenya and Chloe started spotting beautiful emerald green asparagus wrapped in bundles at our local Farmers’ Market they have been requesting it for dinner non-stop. Instead of simply steaming the asparagus, I make a mixture of lemon and olive oil to coat them with before AND after grilling.

No exaggeration, I've made this recipe for dinner 4 times in the last week. This past weekend my in-laws came over and the whole family had dinner together, enjoying steak, salmon, salad, roast potatoes and this asparagus recipe which flew off the platter faster then anything else on the menu!

Grilled Lemon Asparagus  (serves 4)

• 1 bunch green asparagus
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. 1. Preheat grill and place all of the ingredients in a shallow dish to combine.
  2. 2. Evenly coat the asparagus with the lemon mixture.
  3. 3. Grill asparagus, reserving the lemon mixture, for 2 minutes on each side for thin asparagus and 3 minutes on each side for thicker asparagus.
  4. 4. Remove asparagus from the grill, place back into the bowl and toss to coat with reserved lemon mixture.
Grilled Lemon Asparagus

Comments

1. c_c_w

March 20, 2013 at 2:42 pm

This was delicious! I threw them in the oven on a baking sheet because I don’t have a grill. I could eat this every night! It really helps to start with high-quality (I also prefer organic) asparagus.

2. Pingback: Roast chicken, asparagus, potatoes – We got fed

3. Dana

April 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm

If I were to bake or broil asparagus in the oven, how long would you recommend? I’ve only steamed asparagus and I think it’s a little two chewy for my 2 1/2 year old. But I would love for him to try it. Thanks!!!

• Amanda

April 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

i would also love to know if this is just as good broiled and how long to broil for.

• Anand

February 3, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Oooh this looks delish! Carrot huumms seems to be THE new thing this year, it’s popping up on menus and in stores all over the place suddenly but this is the first recipe I’ve seen. Love the idea of the smokiness with the paprika, I can imagine that works so well with the sweet carrot.

April 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I would place them on a baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and broil for 3 minutes on each side, but take a look at them so they don’t burn :)

• Jeannette

April 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I usually roast asparagus at home and they are delicious. Roast them at 450 for 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus.

4. Laurel

April 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Catherine – do you have a favorite olive oil? Or tips on finding a good one? Or even how to avoid a bad one? Thx!

5. Ann-Louise

April 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Easter’s just around the corner, I have guest coming by tomorrow and a bunch of organic asparagus in the fridge. Grilled lemon asparagus it is! :)

6. KateJ

April 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This sounds fantastic, and a great summer item to throw on the grill. We do something similar, but throw it under the broiler in the oven for about 10 minutes. My favorite way to make asparagus! (Still working on getting the kids to eat it–the 4 yr old won’t touch it, but the 2 yr old eats it like it is a candy cane, but then spits it out after he’s finished chewing it–ick).

7. Lauren@SimplyLKJ

April 20, 2011 at 9:00 am

We love asparagus at our house. And, our local Whole Foods has had some beautiful bundles lately. Look forward to trying this as we normally steam ours.