Roast Brussels Sprouts

If a worldwide brussel sprout eating contest existed, I guarantee you all that I would win it every year! Brussies are a serious business for me; I eat them almost every day. I buy stalks of them fresh from the farmers' market when they are in season and have bags of frozen in the freezer at all times. Even when I make a family sized batch for dinner, I must summon my best mom behavior to share with everyone because all I want to do is hog every last one for myself!

The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree because my son, Kenya, has become an major brussel sprout lover. He asks for them at least once a week, and so I've been working on new ways to prepare them beyond my signature Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Poppy Seeds, which I make every Thanksgiving. This roasted recipe, with grated parmesan, toasted almonds and a touch of lemon is such a new hit in my house, it may have turned Chloe into the latest brussie fanatic!

Roast Brussels Sprouts  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups fresh brussel spouts, halved
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup raw sliced almonds
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place the brussel spouts, olive oil and salt on a sheet tray and toss to combine.
  3. 3. Bake the brussel sprouts, cut side down, for 20 minutes.
  4. 4. Remove from oven and top brussel sprouts with sliced almonds. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
  5. 5. Place the roasted brussel sprouts and almonds in a bowl, top with Parmesan cheese and the juice of half a lemon.
Roast Brussels Sprouts

Comments

1. lei Parks

September 6, 2013 at 11:26 pm

These are SO good. I love them and have to be careful I don’t eat them all. My son isn’t fond of them yet but does help me pick out the brussels sprouts at farmer’s market. Thanks for another delicious and easy recipe.

2. June Rader

April 1, 2013 at 3:08 am

The recipes all sound so delicious!

3. Pingback: Jessie Toy Story Parties

4. Heather

January 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I agree…I love brussel sprouts too and haven’t had them for years. Made them tonight – so delicious – no one else really liked them but I ate them all up. May try the maple syrup option and see if my kids like that one. Thanks!

5. tive76

December 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Just made this,I did not add the almonds (don’t have in my pantry) or the cheese. Just tossed them with olive oil, garlic powder and black pepper. They are pretty good, waiting for my son to wake up and have his lunch. Hopefully he will like them also.

6. Hala

December 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I have always liked brussel sprouts that others have prepared, but never ventured to make them on my own. Tried this out and I love them so much, I now have a bag of sprouts in my fridge at all times! Thank you!

7. Beata

November 30, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This is my new favorite recipe!!! Love it and I dont like Brussels sprouts….hmmm…now I do!

8. Sandra

November 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

Gosh, I LOVE roast Brussels sprouts! I just made them for the first time and they were delicious. I used to hate them and really only started eating them when I moved to …. Brussels. :)

The only thing I find annoying is to prepare them.The ones I always have in my veggy box often have these tiny creatures all over and I need to take one layer off after the other till there are none left. Do you ever have this problem? If not, I will have to look for them elsewhere.

9. Laura

November 22, 2011 at 1:34 am

These were AMAZING! I could have eaten the whole thing. I am shocked that my kids still don’t like them, even prepared this way. Thanks for another delicious recipe!

10. Suzanne Suzio

November 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Stupid question but why is it important to roast them cut side down?

• Kathy

November 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

It allows the cut side to get all brown & yummy. It won’t really hurt if they aren’t all facing the right way, though.

11. nithya at halfpintgourmet

November 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

My favorite is to cook them in a skillet with honey butter, red chili flakes and salt. Sweet and salty and savoury!

How old were your kid when you first gave them brussels sprouts?

12. Jewel

November 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Can I make this recipe with frozen brussel sprouts? Do I just let them thaw? I don’t know much about them, since I haven’t eaten them since my mom made me and I didn’t like them. LOL so I need help!

13. Pingback: Thanksgiving But Better | Brian-Speaks

14. Jennifer

November 16, 2011 at 1:15 am

Any chance you will share your brussel sprout recipe with lemon and poppyseeds. That sounds so good! We just roasted some tonight with a little soy sauce, sesame oil, touch of agave nectar, walnuts, and raisins – a new adventure for us but absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to try the one you have here as well.

15. Meghan

November 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I love brussel sprouts!! My favorite preparation is to roast them with olive oil, s and p then in the last ten minutes, drizzle with maple syrup. Delicious!

16. Lori sorci

November 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I bought a fresh stalk a while back and froze a bunch whole! Anyone have a suggestion as to how to prepare them now that they are frozen??

November 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I feel like you could defrost them and cook in this preparation.

17. Food on the Table

November 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Love that your son loves brussel sprouts so much! It’s never caught on as a kid-favorite at my house but quickly disappears off the grown-ups’ plates. Haven’t ever roasted them like this so I’ll have to give it a try!

18. Wendy

November 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Every day???? Wow. I could eat maybe mushrooms or asparagus almost every day but brussel sprouts not so much. I’ve never roasted them like this though and I’ll be giving it a try for sure.

19. Clare

November 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Will you be posting that shredded brussel sprout recipe in time for Thanksgiving? Sounds delicious! If not, this recipe has just been added to our holiday menu. Yum!

• Lori sorci

November 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

It’s on her site from long ago

20. Sophie

November 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

Do you ever roast the whole stalk? Do you eat the ‘trunk’ itself if so, or just the buds?

November 15, 2011 at 11:08 am

I usually buy the whole stalk and cut them off. I’ve never even thought about roasting the entire stalk. I don’t think it’s edible.

21. Heather Taylor @ Kids in the Sink

November 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

This is almost exactly how we roast our broccoli and it is so delicious! I only remember brussel sprouts from childhood and they were not good. I have been wanting to try the real thing so this looks like a great place to start!

22. Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)

November 15, 2011 at 7:47 am

Brussels sprouts are pretty magical. Roasting is my favorite cooking method. I love how crisp and caramelized the outside gets.

23. Tiffany

November 15, 2011 at 6:25 am

When you freeze your fresh brussel sprouts do you blanch them first or freeze them raw?

• Melissa

November 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Hi! Can’t wait to try this!! To Tiffany…I blanch mine before freezing :)

November 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

I usually just buy fresh or prepackaged frozen. I <3 brussel sprouts :)