If a worldwide brussel sprout eating contest existed, I guarantee you all that I would win it every year! Brussies are a serious business for me; I eat them almost every day. I buy stalks of them fresh from the farmers' market when they are in season and have bags of frozen in the freezer at all times. Even when I make a family sized batch for dinner, I must summon my best mom behavior to share with everyone because all I want to do is hog every last one for myself!
The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree because my son, Kenya, has become an major brussel sprout lover. He asks for them at least once a week, and so I've been working on new ways to prepare them beyond my signature Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Poppy Seeds, which I make every Thanksgiving. This roasted recipe, with grated parmesan, toasted almonds and a touch of lemon is such a new hit in my house, it may have turned Chloe into the latest brussie fanatic!
Roast Brussels Sprouts (Serves 4)
- 2 Cups Fresh Brussel Spouts, halved
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Raw Sliced Almonds
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place the brussel spouts, olive oil and salt on a sheet tray and toss to combine.
3. Bake the brussel sprouts, cut side down, for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and top brussel sprouts with sliced almonds. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Place the roasted brussel sprouts and almonds in a bowl, top with Parmesan cheese and the juice of half a lemon.