A few months ago I came across a recipe for Chocolate Almond Butter Cups posted by the oh-so-brilliant Recipe Girl and I was immediately drooled, I mean, drawn to it. Homemade Peanut Butter Cups -- how could I resist?! Especially when they're so easy to prepare and made with two ingredients Kenya goes absolutely wild for. He has been more than willing to be my sous chef (tough job, I know) every time I make them for cookie exchanges, parties, and recently, as Valentine gifts. I top mine with a flake or two of fleur de del because it adds a fancy touch if you plan on giving them out as gifts to loved ones and friends. Also, the sweet blast of the chocolate and peanut butter combined with just a touch of salt is what makes them truly irresistible! My husband got so excited about this recipe, he made his own version with peanut butter AND jelly, but that is a story for another day.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with Sea Salt- the perfect homemade gift for your loved ones  (Makes 20 Chocolate Cups)

I have an absolute weakness for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I'm pretty good at resisting the candy in my kids' Halloween baskets, but every year, without fail, I can't help but pilfer a few packages of THESE for myself (that's just between us, okay?)....

• 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 10-ounce bag dark chocolate chips (semisweet or milk chocolate could be substituted for the dark chocolate chips)
  • 1 tablespoon fleur de sel

1. 1. Place the peanut butter and powdered sugar in a bowl and stir to combine.
    2. 2. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through until smooth.
    3. 3. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of the melted chocolate into small paper liners in a mini-muffin tin and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
    4. 4. While the chocolate cools, roll 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture into a ball and then flatten into a disk. Repeat with the rest of the peanut butter.
    5. 5. When the chocolate has cooled, place a peanut butter disk in each cup on top of the refrigerated chocolate mixture.
    6. 6. Top cups with the remaining melted chocolate to cover and finish with a few flakes of fleur de sel. Refrigerate until set.
    7. 6. Peel the papers off and eat!
    8. Chocolate Cups can be kept refrigerated or at room temperature

Comments

1. Christina

March 30, 2014 at 1:15 pm

These were amazing!! I didn’t have a mini cupcake pan so I made 9 reg. ones. And I topped mine with a pinch of shredded coconut. These will not disappoint, although, rolling and flattening the peanut butter mixture was quite messy and difficult. I find wetting your hands make it much easier, because oil and water don’t mix.

2. Pingback: How To Make Easy Homemade Peanut Butter Cups Like Reese’s | Bezeer CookVid

3. janicedale

July 21, 2012 at 2:56 am

I think, I found the best surprise gift for my only one and dark chocolate peanut butter cups is the best one. I will make this for him and surely he will like it. I am glad that you shared it in here.

__________________________
    brunch for one

4. Pingback: the it list | lara ramos | chevrons & stripes

5. Paula @ All Things Moms

February 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I made these tonight with my homemade peanut butter and they were so good! My husband even said they were better than his favorite candy in the orange wrapper :) Thanks for sharing!

6. Tonia

February 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

LOVED THEM!!!! Just made a batch with the kids and they love them as well. we didn’t put the salt on top. loved how they only have 3 ingredients…the actual bar has so many and I don’t even know what half of it is lol
    thanks again for another amazing easy recipe

7. Pingback: Faith Friday + Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups « Kids in the Sink

8. Pingback: My Day Off… aka The Amish Home Study | jessi with an "i"

9. Stephanie

February 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Totally amazing! My husband loved them and so did I.

10. Christine

February 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I made these last night and they are amazing! Can’t wait to have another one tonight! I used kosher salt so I didn’t have to make a special trip to the store and it still worked.

11. PattiR

February 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I just got done making these and they are DELISH! So much better than store bought. Like some others, i had a ton of PB mix leftover. I also ran out of chocolate, so next time i’ll try not using a heaping tsp on the bottom.

12. Lara

February 14, 2012 at 12:57 am

Made these yesterday. Super easy! I topped them with Himalayan salt since I had it on hand and it’s pink! Loved by my Valentines both big and little–thanks Catherine!

13. Amy

February 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Made these tonight! Soooo yummy and super easy! Made extra because I had leftover peanut butter mixture. Thanks for this recipe!

14. Kim

February 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I made these today – but I added crunched up pretzels to the top layer after it was poured. Hopefully my fiancee loves them!

• Kristi

February 14, 2012 at 1:43 am

Oh my goodness. The addition of pretzels sounds amazing! Great idea!

15. Brynn

February 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Can I place them in the freezer to chill faster?

February 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

You can put them in the freezer!

16. Shannon

February 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I chilled my peanut butter and then dusted my hands with more powdered sugar and it was easier to roll the peanut butter into balls.

17. Patti

February 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Do you think you could roll out the pb and use mini circle cutter to speed this up?

February 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m not sure it would roll easily, or be a quicker process. :\ I think rolling the peanut butter into balls is part of the fun!

18. Sheri LaCoursiere

February 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I can’t wait to try these with sunbutter since my son has a peanut allergy. I buy and am addicted to dark chocolate sunbutter cups,but they get expensive at $2.00 a package.

• Diane

February 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I have not seen the sunflower cups in stores before. Where did you find them? Are they dairy free also? Of course I am going to make these from scratch, better for us, however when I am in a pinch…ya know:). It’s been a long time since I had one of these, kinda exciting:). Thanks!

19. Marisa

February 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hello. I would like to make these, but I need to know if they will hold up if shipped by mail. I have to and these to Florida and Colorado. Also, is it okay to use regular mail, or should I go to a mail shipping store?

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Sincerely,

Marisa DiFalco

20. Sarah

February 8, 2012 at 8:54 am

Made these last night and while the taste was great my natural peanut butter wouldn’t set enough to roll into balls. After a night in the fridge they are a little more set but not really. And I think I used too *heaping* a teaspoon on the bottom layer of chocolate because my tops seem really thin. Yummy though!

February 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Try adding a little more powdered sugar to the peanut butter to get a thicker consistency. I only use natural peanut butter!

21. Sunni

February 8, 2012 at 8:29 am

Can i use crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy?

February 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I’m not sure if crunchy peanut butter would roll into a ball and hold up as well as the creamy. Its worth a shot, though, right?!

• Kimberly

February 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Just wanted to let you know that I used crunchy natural peanut butter last night and they turned out amazing! I haven’t tried using smooth but I think I would prefer crunchy with the little chunks of peanuts in there. So yummy! And you’re right, the little bit of sea salt on top just makes them that much better!

22. Cyd

February 8, 2012 at 12:30 am

Made these tonight and they are looking good! Super easy. I used a big dark choco bar and chopped and melted. Didn’t really measure how much I used. But I did want to mention that I had a LOT of peanut butter mixture left over. I’m assuming it will keep in fridge in a container in case I want to make another batch or two. But I would say if you are only making 20 little cups, you could definitely cut peanut butter mixture in half for this recipe! Just an FYI. Thanks for another good recipe : )

23. brooke

February 8, 2012 at 12:02 am

I made these tonight. I did not use natural peanut butter and was not able to roll &/or flatten the pb. I’ll try natural next time…as I know there will be a next time because even scooping the pb in they were SO good. I love the salt on top. Yum!

• StaceyL

February 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

I didn’t use natural PB either. I spooned the mixture in, then used the back of a spoon coated in icing sugar to press it in without sticking. I found the taste with regular PB to be a little closer to the Reese’s taste, than with the natural.

24. Kristi

February 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Mmmm…… my favorite combo. My little guy is allergic to peanuts though. If I use sunflower seed or almond butter would the measurements be the same?

• Mariam

February 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I used soybutter (nut/peanut allergies) and it was great although I did find it difficult to roll the mixture into a ball. I just spooned a little into the cups. Great to have an easy subsititute for the famous peanut-butter cups!!

February 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yes, you can use either! No need to change measurements as they are both pretty much the same consistency as peanut butter! I tested these with almond butter and they were fantastic!

• Kristi

February 14, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thanks so much. I think little man and I will make some tomorrow. :)

25. Heather@ Kids in the Sink

February 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I just got fleur de sel for Christmas and have been looking for things to make with it! Woohoo for sweet and salty combos!

26. Andrea

February 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Oh my goodness. This is a dangerous recipe. I just whipped these up because I had all the ingredients and my son was napping. MUST CONTROL URGE TO EAT THE WHOLE BATCH!

27. Jen

February 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Yes, there is absolutely NO greater combination in this world than pb and chocolate! With nut allergies in my house, I have to get my fix when the hubs and I go out alone!

28. Lori @ RecipeGirl

February 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Yummy! Looks perfect!

29. Lauren @KidEats

February 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Sounds delicious and pretty easy! My husband LOVES Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, so I will have to make these for him!

30. Stacey

February 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’m having trouble rolling the peanut butter mixture into balls…any suggestions? I was thinking of using a different type of peanut butter, but I’m in the middle of it now.

• ashlea

February 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’ll bet chilling the peanut butter in the fridge would help.

• Stacey

February 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks, it probably would help. I think I’ll try that next time. I just scooped it into the cups, then used the back of a spoon coated in icing sugar to pat it down. It seemed to work…we’ll know soon! Besides that, it was super easy.

• AA

February 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I had a hard time rolling the pb too, so a trick I used was to just blob the pb on top if the chocolate, then I wet my fingertip slightly and pressed it out flat. I found the pb too runny-it squirts out when u bite into it, so I’m on a mission to experiment ways to make it more firm/dry! Any suggestions??

31. Rachel Orosco

February 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I make a version of this but with raw cacao and raw honey. It becomes a superfood, rather than a sugary treat – and tastes just as delicious.
    Makes a great little snack or treat for potty training:)

• Tania K

February 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

@Rachel: Can you post that recipe?

32. Dawn

February 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Those sound DELICIOUS!!!!

33. Kristina

February 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

Yes definitely a few steps missing…. waiting to find out more! Sounds amazing!

February 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

Opps, all fixed!

34. Lindsay

February 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

what about the pbj recipe!! What other variations have you tried? I think that you could also add some caramel to this? Would love to hear more about making healthier valentines day treats.

February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

We made them for christmas eve this year and added a tsp of strawberry preserves inside. So good!

35. laurel

February 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

OMG – so excited about this recipe. But clarification please: What is the peanut butter mixture? And how do you form the peanut butter disc? After ten minutes of half of the melted chocolate cooling, will the other half (to place on top of the “peanut butter disc”) need warming again? My concern is it will have congealed in the ten minutes past??

Thank you in advance!

February 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

The chocolate will remain melted for quite a while. I added the peanut butter mixture into step 1.

36. Jennifer

February 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Do you have to use the paper liners if you use a nonstick mini muffin tin? I am pretty sure I won’t find that size paper liner where I live.

• Andrea

February 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Ou can find those cups at Michaels/Joanns or Hobby Lobby

37. Deana

February 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

Do you use natural peanut butter?

February 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

Absolutely!

38. Nicole C.

February 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

When you say “peanut butter mixture”, I assume you are supposed to mix the peanut butter with the powdered sugar, right?

I LOVE dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I think I have found a treat for myself for Valentine’s Day!

39. Heather

February 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

This is an awesome recipe! When does the powdered sugar get mixed in?

40. Suzanne

February 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

I think a step is missing but they sound yummy!

41. laura

February 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

Sounds divine! Does the chocolate *have* to be dark?

February 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

You could also use milk or semisweet chocolate.

42. Cheryl A

February 7, 2012 at 8:11 am

Favs*

43. Cheryl

February 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

These sound yummy and are one of my gabs to eat :)