Spiced Carrot and Rice Puree in honor of Pregnancy Awareness Month

I started weelicious almost 5 years ago, because I was having a difficult time figuring out what--and how--to feed my new eater. I was fairly shocked by the lack of information organized online especially since there are so many avenues available to parents and knew there had to be a better way.

I experienced a somewhat similar situation the first time I was pregnant, assuming like many women that my only option was to find an OBGYN and have my baby at a hospital. Around that same time, one of my dearest friends, Keri, told me she was going to become a doula. A what?! I had never heard of such a thing. Sure, I had heard of midwives, but they were something I associated with the turn of the last century. Obviously, I was not very enlightened when it came to the world of child birth but I was a quick study. Keri became my doula and my husband and I worked with her to review all of the birth options available to us in the hospital so I could have the exact birth I wanted -- something I would have likely not been able to do without her.

Cut to two years later: me 5 months pregnant with Chloe and someone having given us a DVD of Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein's brilliant documentary The Business of Being Born. Within minutes of finishing the film, my husband and I decided that we were going to have a home birth and set out to find a midwife. Long story short, having Chloe at home was one of the most magical experiences of my life. As well it should have been. Pregnancy and birth should be one of the most life changing times in a woman's life, yet all too often birth is treated as a medical condition rather than something natural which has occurred since the beginning of time.*

Several years ago I met Anna Getty and Alisa Donner, the founders of Pregnancy Awareness Month, and was roused by their mission to educate and inspire women through birth. This year Ricki Lake, Dr. Alan Greene, Josie Maren and other incredible experts will be speaking at the P.A.M. event for moms-to-be, new moms and their families to discuss everything from prenatal nutrition and feeding babies and children to celebrating pregnancy and learning more about the birth process. I'll actually be on a roundtable talking about food for babies and kids with Dr. Greene. I hope you can come out to celebrate P.A.M. this Sunday, May 6th, and enjoy this event with me and my family!

In honor of Pregnancy Awareness Month, I'm putting up one of my favorite baby food purees. I came up with it back when I started weelicious but never actually posted it before! It's super easy to make and will give your baby a great head start towards loving the fresh tastes and flavors of wholesome foods. Recipes like this one are the building blocks to creating great eaters for a lifetime!

* It's worth making clear here that I love my OBGYN and he was supportive of my decision to have a home birth.

Carrot, Brown Rice, Parsley Puree  (6)

• 1/2 cup short grain brown rice
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin

1. 1. In a small saucepan, combine THE rice and water.
  2. 2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. 3. Add the carrots to the rice, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. You will still have some liquid in the rice, this will help with the pureeing.
  4. 4. Transfer rice, carrot, parsley and cumin to a food processor, puree until smooth adding additional water if necessary and serve.
Carrot, Brown Rice, Parsley Puree

Comments

1. MC

June 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

is brown rice hard to digest compared to white rice? also how to freeze left overs do u put them in ice cube tray or any other method?

2. Mechef145

March 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

I only feed my baby with the recipes I get from you videos and he loves it. To make sure he gets all the nutrients from the food I always prepare his food in my MEC pure clay baby food maker. The unique steam locker lid seal steam & water soluble nutrients inside to give your baby the healthiest food. Most importantly its non-toxic, metal & chemicals free. I got it from mecware.US (online)

3. Pingback: Asian Baby Weaning 101 | Mamas | Help! | HoneyKids Asia

4. Reva

September 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Nice

5. Rinzin

August 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hi I love your website. I have question can I make this for my 5 month old son.?

August 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Has your baby tried other foods already? It is important to introduce your child to single foods and flavors before introducing more complex varieties! :)

6. Taylor

July 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Catherine, can you substitute quinoa for the brown rice? Just don’t have brown rice in the house right now! :)

July 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Yes! That would be yummy!

7. Asmaa moussa

May 24, 2012 at 7:08 am

can I make it for a 14 months toddler. I also son’t have brown rice, can I use white rice??
    and can I freeze it, the amount is big for my baby

May 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yes, you can serve this to a 14 month old child. You can use white rice, but I strongly encourage you to get brown rice. It is so much healthier! You can freeze this for up to 3 months!

8. meghna

May 22, 2012 at 7:13 am

served this as a side, without pureeing. It was delicious! My 4 year old and 21 month old loved it.

• meghna

May 22, 2012 at 7:21 am

BTW, we took the liberty of renaming it Peter Rabit Rice, since it has Carrots and Parsley in it!

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 am

So cute!

9. Maurine

May 7, 2012 at 1:17 am

I am so glad for all your do for helping us moms feed our families well, starting in pregnancy. I am forever singing the praises of your recipes at my Stroller Strides class! On another note, I must be on your site too much because as I was watching an episode of “Unique Eats” tonight, there was an adorable little boy eating pie in L.A., and I immediately said, “huh, that looks like Kenya!” Then I heard your voice, saw your face, and put two and two together! Woohoo, so fun! Now I want that mac and cheese pie!

10. Christy

May 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I always enjoy reading your posts and recipe ideas. I appreciate what you are doing for PAM. I used a group of midwives who deliver in a hospital setting for the births of our children. I just wasn’t comfortable with home birth. I treasured my midwives and the flexibility they allowed me to have a natural birth experience in a hospital. Friends or aquaintances who ask about the birth of our children look at me like I have two heads when I tell them we chose a natural birth process without any drugs. I think it is sad that so many women sell themselves short. Though it is a challenge, I think it is one most women are tough enough to face. Of course, I have also learned that just as I do not like it when someone judges my birth choice, I should not judge her’s either. :) Thanks for sharing!

11. Kathryn P

May 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I had my second baby at home 4 months ago(on Christmas day). It was and will always be my most treasured experience. Home birth is the way nature intended our babes to enter this world.
    I am looking forward to making baby food for my little boy. His sister has thoroughly enjoyed your recipes.

12. rachael

May 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Is the PAM roundtable going to be videotaped? I would love to watch that – maybe post on the website?

13. JessicaKC

May 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

I agree that that documentary was life changing for us. We already had a midwife and wanted a home birth but our little girl came early and was breech (she had her own plan!)…but it is important for all women to know they have choices and do not have to use drugs during pregnancy and follow everything everyone else does. I have made all of my baby’s food from her first taste and I found your site a couple of months ago for more ideas. I have started teaching other moms in our area how easy it is and how affordable! We don’t have year round farmer’s markets (unfortunately!) but are so excited summer is here for all the new tastes. God bless!

14. janelle weems

May 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

i agree! weelicious has helped me to learn so many wonderful things! and with baby2 here next month i cant wait to make this! p.s me and my friend and my hubby are taking our girls this sunday! so excited hope to finally meet you! =)

15. Morgan

May 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

Would boil in a bag rice work for this or do you need the regular rice? I am always looking for short cuts I guess :)

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

You can really use any cooked rice you prefer. :)

16. Jamie

May 3, 2012 at 8:54 am

Catherine, you are such a wonderful source for information regarding health and nutrition. I look forward to your daily posts, and to trying this recipe for my 8 month old, Ella. It sounds so yummy, I might eat some along with her! ;-)

Also, “The Business of Being Born” is a deep, eye opening documentary that all pregnant women should be encouraged to see.

17. Christina

May 3, 2012 at 8:21 am

I am excited to try this and all your baby food recipes (we’re counting the days with our second baby who is 4.5 months!!) Do you think it is AOK to give cumin to a 6-month old, or is this meant for slightly older babies?