Fourth of July Wands

Magical Fruits Wands for Your Fourth of July Celebration

Yum

Abracadabra, make fruit disappear! That's exactly what happened the day I made these Independence Day-inspired treats for the kids, turning a big dinner I made for Kenya and Chloe into them basically ignoring the meal and instead begging and pleading for more of these wands stacked with juicy watermelon and sweet blueberries. Watching their imaginative play at the dinner table, casting spells on each other and everything else in sight, was better than any game I could have come up with or paid for.

So this Fourth of July toss out the boxed ice pops and store bought desserts laden with corn syrup and food coloring and instead make your family something with a naturally sweet taste like these "magic" fruit wands. And if you want to see just how easy and fun they are to assemble, click here to watch Chloe make me "disapaww"!

Fourth of July Wands  (makes 20 wands)

• 1 watermelon
  • 2 pints blueberries
  • 20 skewers

1. 1. Slice the watermelon into 1/2 inch round slices, and then cut out star shapes using a three-inch star-shaped cookie cutter.
  2. 2. Gently slide the blueberries on wooden skewers* and finally place a watermelon star on the top.
  3. 3. Place the skewers in a tall glass or in decorated floral foam as an eatable centerpiece.
  4. * If serving to young kids make sure they're careful with the wooden skewers.
Fourth of July Wands

Comments

1. Barbara Jean Hicks

June 30, 2016 at 3:13 pm

I’d love to post a picture and link to this great recipe on your blog on my new fun-and-healthy-eating-for-kids blog (barbarajeanhicks.com/blog) on July 4th. May I have your permission?

• C. McCord

July 4, 2016 at 10:33 pm

You are welcome to use a photo as long as you link back to the original article and credit Weelicious! :)

2. Laura

June 15, 2015 at 11:52 am

I’d love to feature this recipe and a photo in an upcoming Find Me Gluten Free blog post. The blog post will be linked in our monthly newsletter that is sent out to over 80,000 gluten-free consumers. Do I have permission to include a photo of this recipe on our blog? I am not planning to post the full recipe and instructions, but rather just include the title of the recipe that links to the original recipe on this site and a photo.

3. Pingback: 4 Quick Party Ideas for the 4th of July | Whittington Design Sudio

4. Pingback: 4 Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Treats | Sunny Days, Good Food ~ by Kathy Strahs

5. Pingback: Fourth of July (In August)… | mama and the sun

6. Pingback: 30 Dairy-Free Watermelon Recipes + Latest Health Info - Go Dairy Free

7. Pingback: 5 Fun, Educational Ways to Celebrate July 4th With Kids | K12 - Learning Liftoff - DEV

8. Pingback: 5 Fun, Educational Ways to Celebrate July 4th With Kids » K12 - Learning Liftoff - DEV

9. Pingback: Patriotic Moscato Gelatin Shots recipe from Sweet Life

10. Pingback: Patriotic Grilled Chicken, Savory Blueberry Compote, Strawberry Arugula Salad • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

11. Pingback: Brazilian Acai Breakfast Bowl Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

12. Pingback: 5 Fun, Educational Ways to Celebrate July 4th With Kids » K12 - Learning Liftoff - Free Parenting, Education, and Homeschooling Resources

13. Pingback: 29 Fourth of July recipes the kids will love | WOTV4women.com

14. Pingback: 5 Ways to Elevate Your 4th of July Celebration - Our Inspired Design Blog | Our Inspired Design Blog

15. Pingback: 10 July 4th Crafts for Kids | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids

16. Pingback: 5 Essential 4th of July Dishes - SelectAware.com Savings Blog

17. Pingback: 10 Fast And Fresh Options To Eat Healthy This Holiday - Gates Interior Design

18. Pingback: 50 Fourth of July Recipes - Real Housemoms

19. Pingback: あなたの子供が好きである29の7月4日のレシピ | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

20. Pingback: 29 Fun And Easy Fourth-Of-July Treats Your Kids Will Love | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

21. Pingback: Fun & Festive Ideas for Memorial Day! – Coastal Runner Girl

35. Pingback: Sweet Treat Tuesday: Patriotic Fruit Kabobs : Confetti Diaries

36. Pingback: 4 Ways to Celebrate July 4th with Your Kids - All Our Days

37. Pingback: Ingredients, Inc.July Fourth Favorites

38. Pingback: The Fairy Garden Party | Kim's Kitchen

39. Gina Elliott

March 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Love these! Will be making them school Easter parties & birthdays! Thanks for sharing.

40. Pingback: happy birthday ivan (& america) | mon petit treat

41. Pingback: Happy 4th of July « The Un-Desperate Housewife

42. Pingback: Varitas mágicas 4 de Julio | Recetas para bebés y niños. Alimentación durante el embarazo y la infancia

43. Pingback: 4th of July Week | Live What You Love

44. Sarah

July 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

These are adorable!!! Thank-you!! I too love the site!! I also think it would be cool to have a folder for “Holiday Cooking.” Thank-you for all the great recipes!!

45. Pingback: Magical Fruits Wands for Your Fourth of July Celebration « Life Seeds

46. Amber

June 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Love this idea and will be making it for the 4th! The new site is great, but I have a question…How do you get to view the previous day’s recipe? I usually check your site religiously, but once in a while I miss a day due to the craziness of life with twin 19 month old girls! Please let me know how to catch up! Thanks!
    PS – Can’t wait for your book to come out!

47. Kathy - Panini Happy

June 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

My 4-1/2 yo just asked, “Wow…how can we make them?!” Looks like we’ve got our weekend project! Thanks, Catherine – these look so fun. :-)

48. Dez Weber

June 29, 2012 at 8:12 am

The site looks very pretty, but it’s harder to follow chonologically in blog form now and (the larger issue) I follow by RSS–Articles are now broken up by generic boxes instructing me to ‘preview of publish my post to see how it will look on my blog’. When I get to the site, the recipe is there but it doesn’t seem to be playing well with Google RSS Feeder.

Just thought I’d let you know In case there’s anything your designer can do. :)