Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Yum

Some things never change. Once again this fall, I bought more cans of pumpkin puree than I knew what to do with. As I've written before, I have a habit of getting a bit overzealous whenever I start seeing organic pumpkin available in the supermarket. I basically wind up buying out the store, leaving me badly in need of some creative ideas for what to do with it all

While homemade pumpkin puree is always great, there's just something about the ease and creamy texture of canned that I just can't resist. It seems to say "holidays" to me more than almost any food. So do cinnamon rolls. Mmmm. There's not much I wouldn't do for a freshly baked homemade cinnamon roll right about now. However, there's the ease issue again. I don't normally have time to make a yeast dough, so I don't make them that much.

At least that was the case until I started making these super quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, simultaneously fulfilling my craving for two of my favorites by featuring a yeast-free recipe and utilizing all that surplus pumpkin puree. Creamy swirls of cinnamon cream cheese wrapped up in a tender sweet pumpkin dough make these rolls an undeniably special fall delight.

Kenya ate three of these rolls for breakfast the first time I made them and Chloe was not far behind. Lucky for me I've got two kids who love anything pumpkin and as long as I can rely on them, I can rest assured all those cans of pumpkin won't go to waste.

For more great pumpkin recipes see the links below!

Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
And Love It Too: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Blue Apron Blog: Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Millet and Caponata
Dishin & Dishes: Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup
Domesticate Me: Harvest Pumpkin Soup with Candied Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
FN Dish: Cook Pumpkin from the Patch

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls  (makes 16 rolls)

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
  • 3 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. 2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in pumpkin puree. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.
  4. 4. On a well floured surface, roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle about 16 x 12 inches. Spread the cream cheese on top of the dough, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  5. 5. Carefully roll up the dough, starting with the long side and cut into 1-inch pieces.
  6. 6. Place the rolls on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Comments

1. Rachel Foss

December 8, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Do you have any suggestions for making these amazing-looking treats without cream cheese? I would put in goat cheese (chevre) but I’m worried it will be too tart… Ideas?

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies {Gluten Free} Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Gingerbread with Crystallized Ginger | How To Make Hard Boiled EggsHow To Make Hard Boiled Eggs

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice (and Everything Nice) — Fall Fest | ShoutYourSite

5. Pingback: Pumpkin Bread Truffles |

6. Pingback: Savory Little Pumpkins with Labneh, Zaatar, Pumpkin Seed Oil • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

7. Pingback: Pumpkin Gingerbread with Crystallized Ginger » Featured » The MOM 100 Cookbook

8. Pingback: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Oat Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

9. Pingback: The 7 Best Pumpkin Recipes For Fall | Feed Me Phoebe

10. Pingback: Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

11. Pingback: Pumpkin Pancakes With Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup | Dishin & Dishes

12. MRoberts

October 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Catherine,
    Any chance you will create a video of these? It really helps for those of us who need a visual for recipes like these….PLEASE:)

13. Pingback: Fall Fest: Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce | Cooking Bookmarks

14. Barb | Creative Culinary

October 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Love these; they sound great and seem easy…for me the kind of Win Win I’m always looking for!

15. Pingback: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

16. Elise Johnson

October 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

Looks so yummy, Catherine!

17. Pingback: SOUP BLISS ~ Pumpkin Apple Soup with Dried Fruit, Pine Nuts, Chile de Arbol • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

18. Pingback: Pumpkin Beer Bread with Pumpkin Butter Spread — Creative Culinary - Food & Cocktail Recipes - Denver, Colorado

19. Pingback: Dinner Idea: Baked, Stuffed Squash or Pumpkin | Blue Apron Blog

20. Pingback: The Balanced Diet: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup | Feed Me Phoebe

21. Joe

January 29, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi,

Had a question regarding baking powder or baking soda. Is it healthy to use these in toddler food on daily basis?

Thanks.

22. Heather in Missouri

December 29, 2012 at 11:09 pm

these rolls were awesome! made them in about an hour I guess from start to putting them on the plate and they were super yummy…I added a bit more sugar when I tasted the dough, and nutmeg and a little vanilla…ended up kneading in a bit of flour while I was working with the dough on the counter, and it all worked so well…I thought it wasn’t going to rise well with all the additions, but it was a terrific recipe, and was quick! I also added chopped pecans in the inside…yummo! thanks for a great recipe…kids and hubby loved it! great for dinner…

23. Mary

December 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

Just made these for Christmas morning, they were fantastic. Easy to make, and the dough rolls out without any problem. Will be making again.

24. Cathy

December 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’m sorry, but my family didn’t care for it. I followed the recipe exactly. It is far better to make cinnamon rolls with yeast so they rise. We couldn’t even taste the cream cheese, and I even doubled it.

25. holly

November 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

This sounds delicious but my dough did not turn out at all. I used pureed sweet pumpkin from a pumpkin and not a can. My dough would not form. Ended up crumbly and could not get it to roll out. Does it have to be from a can and not straight from a pumpkin? It was a floury crumbly mess. Would really like to have my kids try this.

• Sara

April 24, 2013 at 7:32 am

Try adding a little water to the dough.

26. Jay

November 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Great recipe, thanks for posting!

27. Bob-o Forrest

November 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Sign me up

28. Nicole

November 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

These were very yummy! Thanks for sharing:)

29. Sara

November 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I had a 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree leftover in the fridge so I added pumpkin greek yogurt from Trader Joe’s – it worked and it was yummy! Added a little more sugar but oh well.

30. Ruth Pinnell

November 22, 2012 at 8:21 am

Easy recipe to make, dough came together well but I had to knead it a bit by hand. Rolled out on a silpat which made it easy to roll up. Used half white wheat and half AP flour and they taste yummy! Super Thanksgiving breakfast!

31. Ivy

November 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Can I use whole wheat flour instead?

November 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m sure that would work, but they’ll be more dense and have a nutty flavor!

32. Erica

November 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

These look amazing!! I was going to make pumpkin donuts for breakfast thanksgiving morning but I will be making these instead!!! I love your reciepes!

33. achatfield78

November 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

Delicious! Made these this morning and i can’t stop eating them!

34. Christian Rene Friborg

November 20, 2012 at 11:47 pm

So many pumpkin recipes around the net but this one is added to my favorites! Can’t wait to try it.

35. Kathryn Burleson

November 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

looks great! Just used my last pumpkin so I might try this with butter nut squash puree. Anyone else?

36. Julia

November 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

So glad I found your website!! I have a one year old and am always looking for great recipes that kids will love. These pumpkin cinnamon rolls look so good by the way!

37. Catherne

November 20, 2012 at 12:18 am

I will be making these over and over! Great recipe :-)

• Catherine

November 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I made these this morning with my 3 1/2 year old son. I used my stand mixer with the dough hook and the dough came together nice (much like a pizza dough would). After I rolled out the dough, my son drizzled honey all over the dough and then sprinkled cinnamon on top. While we were making this he ate: the flour, honey, and the cream cheese as well as the uncooked dough and of course the final product. It was cute! Oh yea, we used a 4oz brick of cream cheese by pinching off small pieces and just smearing it all over the dough with our hands. Great recipe for kids to help with. I made a double batch and put it in the freezer. I hazelnut spread on top of the baked rolls (we had a sample like this at Costco) but personally I think they are super just as they are.

38. stephanie s

November 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Is there a way to prepare these and either put leftovers in the freezer or prep them and freeze before baking?

November 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You can do either! Prepare the rolls through step 5, transfer to an airtight freezer container. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge, then let them come to room temperature (about 30 minutes out of the fridge) and bake according to the recipe! Or, you can finish the recipe completely then freeze the baked and cooled rolls. Reheat in the over, toaster oven or microwave when ready to eat!

• stephanie s

November 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm

perfect! Thank you – always looking for ways to extend the life of a recipe :)

39. Kristin

November 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

These look awesome! Did you use salted or unsalted butter?

November 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Unsalted!

40. Angie

November 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

These sound great! Can you make them ahead of time and leave them in the fridge for a day before you bake?

November 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I haven’t tried that, but I think it would be okay! Just keep them covered!

41. Heidi

November 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Do u have to use whipped cream cheese?

November 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You can use regular. I just think whipped is easier to spread!

42. sonya

November 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yum!

• Symona

February 4, 2014 at 6:43 pm

You’ve captured this pecyertlf. Thanks for taking the time!

43. Lisatu

November 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

Wish I hadn’t used the last bag of frozen pumpkin puree yesterday. Ill have to make these with sweet potatoe as we dont have canned pumpkin puree here in Ireland and I dont think I can get anymore pumpkins either they are available for halloween and then gone, at least in my area.

• Karey

November 20, 2012 at 3:00 am

I’d love to know how the do with sweet potato – sounds great!

44. Ruth Pinnell

November 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

This could not have come at a better time! I too have a surplus of organic canned pumpkin, and my family has been asking me to make cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving breakfast. These sound fantastic -thank you!