Some things never change. Once again this fall, I bought more cans of pumpkin puree than I knew what to do with. As I've written before, I have a habit of getting a bit overzealous whenever I start seeing organic pumpkin available in the supermarket. I basically wind up buying out the store, leaving me badly in need of some creative ideas for what to do with it all
While homemade pumpkin puree is always great, there's just something about the ease and creamy texture of canned that I just can't resist. It seems to say "holidays" to me more than almost any food. So do cinnamon rolls. Mmmm. There's not much I wouldn't do for a freshly baked homemade cinnamon roll right about now. However, there's the ease issue again. I don't normally have time to make a yeast dough, so I don't make them that much.
At least that was the case until I started making these super quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, simultaneously fulfilling my craving for two of my favorites by featuring a yeast-free recipe and utilizing all that surplus pumpkin puree. Creamy swirls of cinnamon cream cheese wrapped up in a tender sweet pumpkin dough make these rolls an undeniably special fall delight.
Kenya ate three of these rolls for breakfast the first time I made them and Chloe was not far behind. Lucky for me I've got two kids who love anything pumpkin and as long as I can rely on them, I can rest assured all those cans of pumpkin won't go to waste.
For more great pumpkin recipes see the links below!
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
Red or Green: Pizza with Red Chile Pumpkin Sauce, Black Beans and Fresh Corn
Devour: Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Feed Me Phoebe: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Virtually Homemade: Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino
Weelicious: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The Lemon Bowl: Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin
The Heritage Cook: Chile-Pumpkin Hummus
Dishing: Pumpkin Browns/ Pumpkin Hash Browns
In Jennie's Kitchen: Pumpkin Scones
Cooking With Elise: Hearty Pumpkin Pasta
And Love It Too: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Blue Apron Blog: Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Millet and Caponata
Dishin & Dishes: Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup
Domesticate Me: Harvest Pumpkin Soup with Candied Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
FN Dish: Cook Pumpkin from the Patch
Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls (makes 16 rolls)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in pumpkin puree. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.
4. On a well floured surface, roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle about 16 x 12 inches. Spread the cream cheese on top of the dough, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Carefully roll up the dough, starting with the long side and cut into 1-inch pieces.
6. Place the rolls on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.