Protein Bars - Weelicious

Protein Bars

Protein Bars from Weelicious

Yum

This is a post I have had on Weelicious for years. I make them all the time, but realized that I hadn't updated the images in years. The recipe is still spot on and now it has some new pictures to hopefully inspire you to make them as we head into the back to school season!

Protein Bars from Weelicious

Several years ago I went through a major "bar phase". No, I wasn't getting
smashed all over town, I was consuming Luna, Lara and other similar types of
protein bars at a rapid rate. It became such an obsession that two of my girlfriends and I actually set out to form our own bar company -- just imagine getting to cook one of your
favorite foods all day, every day. We had a name, a mission statement, and developed recipes for every flavor of bar under the sun and
they were delicious (I think). But unlike the majority of bars on the market that
are jam packed with additives and sugar, our goal was to make something
completely organic, packed with protein, devoid of sugar, and full of flavor. The bigger goal was to do all this using as few ingredients per bar as
possible. The bar business became a casualty of our busy lives, but I still produce them for my friends and family.

Protein Bars from Weelicious

Which got me thinking. Breakfast can be a real challenge when you're trying to get your
entire family out the door and sending your little one to school with
a healthy snack can be just as hard. This bar recipe is a treat that everyone
(over the age on 1 and no history of nut allergies) in the family will love and since the recipe makes 16 bars and they stay fresh for weeks. You're set!

Protein Bars from Weelicious

Protein Bars from Weelicious

Protein Bars from Weelicious

We used these to make this recipe:

Protein Bars  (Makes 16 Bars)

• Prep Time: 1 hrs,
  • Cook Time: 5 hrs,
Several years ago I went through a major "bar phase". No, I wasn't getting
smashed all over town, I was consuming Luna, Lara and other similar types of

• 1 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
  • 1 cup almonds, raw and unsalted
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries or chocolate chips
  • 2 1/4 cup dates (about 20)
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon honey or agave

1. 1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees (or put your oven on it’s lowest setting and adjust the cooking time).
  2. 2. Place the nuts in a bowl and cover with COOL water and soak for 1 hour.
  3. 3. Cover the dates with HOT water and soak for 30 minutes. After soaking, drain off the water and pit the dates.
  4. 4. Place the oats in a food processor and grind to a powder. Place in a separate large bowl.
  5. 5. Drain the water off the nuts, place on a towel to remove excess water. Place the nuts in a food processor with the dried cranberries (chocolate chips) and pulse until nuts are in small pieces (the nuts will be uneven pieces which is fine. Just make sure they are all chopped.
  6. 6. Place the nuts in the bowl with the oats.
  7. 7. Place the dates, vanilla and honey (agave) in food processor and pulse until it makes a puree.
  8. 8. Place the date mixture with the oat mixture and thoroughly combine all the ingredients (mixture will be thick and sticky).
  9. 9. Place the date nut mixture on a silpat on a cookie sheet. Spread out using a spatula or even your hands.
  10. 10. Shape into a long rectangle about 1/2 inch thick and measuring about 10X13 inches. Make sure the rectangle is flat and even.*
  11. 11. Bake for 4.5-5 hours or until the log is firm, but not hard (If the lowest setting on your oven is 200 degrees, cook for 4 hours).
  12. 12. Cool, cut into bars and wrap individually.
  13. * If using a dehydrator, heat at 135 degrees and dehydrate for 6-8 hours
Protein Bars

Comments

1. clara

December 18, 2014 at 10:26 am

So far my favorite recipe! Thanks so much. Big hit with everyone! Thanks for the freezer tip! Next time ill try a nut free version so I can send to school. I really prefer sweetening with dates and honey over stevia and the rice malt so this works out so great for us.

2. Erin

December 6, 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi Catherine,
    My husband is a big fan of whey protein. Can I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein when mixing things up? Is there any downside to this?

• C. McCord

December 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

That should work out just fine. I would keep it to about 1 tablespoon so that you don’t affect the texture of the bars!

3. Stacey

October 17, 2014 at 11:05 am

Do the almonds and cashews need to be raw? If not, would I still need to soak them?

4. Ashlee

September 18, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have 4 kids and they all love them, do did I and my hubby. I didn’t have cashews today and wanted to make them so I subbed in Pumpkin seeds and they worked great. Yum! Yum!

5. Heather

August 19, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Catherine. These look great! But I’m wondering if I could freeze them and use little bites for the kids’ lunch boxes over several weeks. Ever tried freezing them?

• Catherine McCord

August 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Yes! They freeze beautifully! I freeze them for about 30 minutes on a flat surface, and then transfer to a ziploc baggie. I pack them in school lunch at night, then by lunchtime the next day they are thawed. Freeze for up to 4 months!

6. Becky

August 18, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Just made these today. They are delicious!! Thanks for all the great recipes. I just bought Weelicious the cookbook and like it very much.

7. georgine

August 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Thank you so much for the dehydrator instructtions. Cannot wait to try them!

8. Lisa R.

August 7, 2014 at 9:35 am

Hi Catherine. I think you do a wonderful job coming up with great recipes. I really appreciate your efforts. I’m eager to try your protein bar recipe. I think the recipe, the ingredients and the nutritional information all look great. I think sometimes people fail to consider the actual nutritional needs for a small child. For instance, healthy 1-to-3-year-old children need 0.55 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, which means the average 29-pound toddler needs 16 grams of protein each day. The RDAs for older children are 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight for 4-to-6-year-olds; 0.45 grams for 7-to-14-year olds; and 0.4 grams for 15-to-18-year-old boys. The RDA for girls over 15 and boys over 18 is 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight, the same as for adults (https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/consumer/archives/proteinchildren.htm). Your protein bars are spot on as far as the amount of protein a child should be eating for a snack. Keep up the great work!

9. aida mollenkamp

August 7, 2014 at 9:20 am

Yes, please and thank you!

10. Jennifer

August 7, 2014 at 6:57 am

My daughter is allergic to cashews, but almonds are okay. Can I just use all almonds and no cashews?

11. hf

August 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Hello my daughter love dates so I
    will try them soon.I want to know how to store them and for how long?

• Catherine McCord

August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

I store these covered on the counter and they last for at least a week!

12. Tara

August 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm

My children will be attending a nut free school this fall. I feel as though my options are so limited!!! Recipes please!

13. Sarah B

August 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

do you soak and/or sprout the nuts first or just whir them up completely raw and unsoaked?

14. Alex

August 6, 2014 at 10:39 am

I was also wondering how these are ‘protein’ bars w/only 4 grams of protein. Could you add peanut butter or something to bump up the protien?

15. Estee

August 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi Catherine, and all. Any suggestions on nutritional substitutions for a nut-free home? Thank you.

Estee

16. Melanie

August 6, 2014 at 10:01 am

Thanks for the recipe, Catherine! They look delicious.

I’m not “food literate” at all; my husband and I have a very simple diet, only cook with a rice cooker, and never use the stove or oven. Perhaps this is a silly question, but- Can these bars be eaten raw? Do they need to be put in the oven?

Thank you so much!

• Catherine McCord

August 7, 2014 at 9:55 am

You can totally eat them raw! They won’t really hold their shapes as bars, but you can try rolling them into balls instead!

17. Laura

August 6, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi Catherine,
    Any particular type of date?
    Thanks!

18. Kristine @ Kristine's Kitchen

August 6, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’m always looking for healthy and delicious bar recipes, and these look perfect! Your photos are beautiful!

19. Jeanette

July 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm

They sound delicious! How can you call them Protein bars though when they only have 4g protein & 35 g Carbs … not much protein for 220 calories. :-) They look like they’d make a great carry along for an intense hike though. THANKS FOR SHARING!

20. Niccole

July 23, 2014 at 8:10 am

Can you use another dried fruit instead of dates? Such as cherries, mixed berries etc.

Thanks,
    Niccole

21. D

June 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Can I use chopped dates in this? If I do, what do I do with them and when to put in?

June 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Use 1 cup if they’re already chopped. Use them in place of the dates called for in the recipe!

22. Maggie

September 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Yum I’m making these this weekend

23. shadan

August 9, 2012 at 8:53 am

hey catherine , i was wondering if it’s possible to use a parchment paper intead of a silpat as i don’t have it on hand. will it work ?

August 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

Yes it will! :)

24. Melissa

February 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I made these last night and they came out perfect! I had a bit of trouble figuring out how many dates to use, because I bought pitted, dried dates. I stuck to the 2 1/4 cups and ignored the (about 20) part because 2 1/4 cups was almost 50 of the pitted dried ones. Recipe still worked out fantastic, and my Lara Bar lover of a husband is very happy today! Thanks for yet another great recipe Catherine!

• yukonnie

September 6, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I found that I needed more than 20 dates to get to the 2 1/4 cup. I must have gotten small dates. In the dehydrator now, looking forward to eating them.

25. Pingback: learning maths,math tricks

26. Proteine

October 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I?m not positive the place you are getting your info, but good topic. I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

27. Delaina

August 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I know several people have asked about the nutritional info. I tried to do the math myself and with the ingrediants I used it came oot to 165 Calories, 4g Protein, and 2g Fiber per bar.

28. Delaina

August 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

I need the nutritional info. Mainly the calories, fiber and protein. Can anyone help??

29. Tracey

July 3, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Mine burnt on the bottom? I only cooked for 3.5 hours on my lowest oven setting. Any thoughts as to why they burnt? I followed the instructions and used a silpat on a cookie sheet. The flavor is good but the burn is a bummer…

Thanks!

• Sharon

September 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Mine burnt too and I only baked them for 3 hours on my oven’s lowest setting. What’s the secret?

30. Suzanne

July 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Not all oats are gluten free! They must be grown and processed in dedicated fields and facilities. Regular oats you buy at your grocery store are highly contaminated with wheat. If you have celiac or a gluten intolerance you must buy certified gluten free oats. Bobs red mill brand is great!

31. Rachel Orosco

June 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Catherine,
    Can you put these in the dehydrator?

32. Jen

June 26, 2011 at 2:10 am

I don’t have a silpat…would a foil lined cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray work? Or would that make them too greasy on the bottom?

33. Tanya

June 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thanks for reposting this today, Catherine! Now I have to go buy a silpat so I can make them :)

34. Judith

June 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

Any suggestions on replacing the oats to make these gluten free? Would love to be able to make this kind of bar for my daughter so it would be more affordable and healthy.

June 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm

From what I know, Oats are naturally gluten free. Have you researched about it?

• Judith

June 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

It’s one of those grains that is iffy. Some people can tolerate it and some can’t. Of course it often could have something to do with there being trace amounts of wheat due to the processing in the same facility. Will get some of the brand mentioned above and try it.

Anyway, had some organic corn flakes on hand that I pulverized into powder and used that. Still waiting for them to bake, but the batter was a hit with all the kids.

• filaree way

June 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Bob’s Redmill now sells Gluten-Free Oats (old fashioned, quick and steel cut)!

35. Casual Dates

April 8, 2011 at 7:37 am

Extremely nice posting. I just bookmark your blog and also would like to be able to say that I have really appreciated while reading your content. Thank you for spreading the information with all.

36. Amanda

April 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm

These are delicious!! The kids loved them. I think I undercooked mine a bit because I was afraid of them getting too hard for my 1 year old, but they still taste yummy! I even crumbled some up and mixed into some vanilla greek yogurt for breakfast today. With 3 kids, it’s nice to know I will have a healthy/easy breakfast for all of us this week. Thanks!

37. Ari

March 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

How much protine per serving?? Bar?? How much fat?? Calories??

38. LM

March 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

I have a hard time finding bars my nut-allergic toddler can eat – I realize the nuts are important for the texture, nutrition, etc… any ideas on substitutions for kids allergic to peanut and tree nuts?? I am always looking for nutritious, make-ahead foods!!

• Jennifer

March 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

My son is allergic to most tree nuts as well. I find that pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds and soynuts work great as substitutions. They give the same nutty taste and crunch with loads of high protein nutrition.

39. HJK

March 2, 2011 at 2:27 am

My first comment/review ever for anything! These bars are absolutely 100% AMAZING! I can’t wait to give a piece to my 21 month old tomorrow morning for breakfast. Thank you thank you.

40. Lety

November 14, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Hey! I love, love, love these bars! I try to always have them on hand; my husband is crazy about them, too. I really need to get the nutritional information. How can I do that? Thanks so much!

41. Kim

August 31, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hi!
    I love the idea of this recipe, but I’m not a big fan of dates. Is there something else I can use?

• Ranee

July 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I too am not a big fan of dates but my kids are even less of a fan. Do you think dried cherries or raisins could be used as a substitute? Has anyone tried and had success with other dried fruits? I might give it a whirl and see what happens! My kids LOVE dried cherries.

September 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Unfortunately, no. They are naturally healthy and sweet cause of the dates.

• Pato

February 2, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Such a great album! This is when free music sharing is a good thing–when will sodmobey wise up and reissue this awesome music so more people can get in on the awesomeness. Just reviewed this one too .

• kari

June 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm

maybe figs??

42. Lauren

August 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hey Catherine! I’m excited to try these bars…but am not a big fan of Agave. Do you think honey or molasses would work as a substition? And I’m guessing that it would be okday to sprinkle some flax seeds in to give them a little bit of a nutrition boost?

Thanks!!

August 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

You can use honey and flax seed would be great!

43. DH

August 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Since you are comparing these to a Luna Bar, etc…how to they compare in terms of Nutritional Info (ie calorie count, fat, dietary fiber, etc)?

• Anton

February 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm

If I am not mistaken, she has her uncle’s eyes. There is an asinterg beauty, certainly, but a profound soulfulness, as well. I think it likely that she will be both poet and moose hunter.

44. Pingback: » Tame Your Inner Cookie Monster

45. Pingback: Back-To-School Lunch Ideas | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)

46. Jasmine

September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Love your site! I was just checking out this protein bar recipe and I wondered if you have a good source for unsweetened dried cranberries. I have never been able to find them. Thanks!

47. Pingback: Lara Bars | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Baby Food Babyfood Recipes and now Toddler Food too!