There are certain All-American desserts that are a right of passage for kids. Take chocolate brownies. Whenever I was at a bake sale as a kid — which was often — even when every dessert known to man was in evidence on the table, I always grabbed for that gorgeous square of chocolate -- the brownie. I’ve never been a nut girl when it comes to my brownie add-ins. For me it’s all about the chocolate. These days I usually make Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Brownie Bites and classic Chocolate Brownies (without refined sugar), but I am always looking to try new brownie concoctions.
The only issue for me these days, being so pregnant and all, is trying to keep my sweet tooth in check (as well as my kids’!). This Microwave Mug Double Chocolate Brownie is not only decadent, rich and unbelievably quick to make, they are also the perfect portion size for either dessert or a little daytime or evening treat.
Simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, pour the batter into your mug and microwave (1 1/2 minutes for a gooey brownie or 2 1/2 minutes if you like your brownie cooked all the way through). People can get very particular about how they like their brownies cooked inside, so this recipe is ideal for making everyone happy. Since these brownies are single servings, you can make them to each person’s liking. They also make a beautiful presentation and have the added whimsical factor of being made in a mug — something I bet your kids will love!
Microwave Mug Double Chocolate Brownie
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons milk, coffee or water
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
1. Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until smooth in a small bowl.
2. Add the oil, milk, and chocolate chips. Mix until thick and stiff and pour into a microwave-safe cup, mug or ramekin.
3. Cook in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes for a gooey brownie, or 2 1/2 minutes for a well done brownie.