These Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Brownie Bites are absolutely delectable and a perfect sweet treat for a snack, dessert or even lunch box.
Who doesn’t love chocolatey brownies? Fresh out of the oven, there are very few things more delicious. I like to make mine bite size for little hands and they always look so cute topped with Coconut Whipped Cream and fresh berries from the farmers market. I’ll pop these in my kids lunchboxes for a surprise treat but they’re a perfect recipe for a birthday party or any get together.
I made a batch of these for Gemma to take to her friends at soccer practice and they (of course) were devoured very quickly. Since they’re made with whole wheat and applaesauce (instead of tons of extra sugar) they’re a great choice. I’m always trying to sub different ingredients for a slightly healthier version while still maintaining tip top deliciousness. Try out Spinach Cake Muffins, Brown Rice Crispy Treats or Flourless Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins if you’re looking for more recipes like that.
Like I mentioned before, these double chocolate brownie bites are a bit healthier and lighter then traditional brownies without sacrificing a bit of the indulgence of an intensely rich dessert. Yes, there’s some apple sauce in them to cut down on the amount of fat and whole wheat flour for a bit of additional nutrition, but there’s also a deep chocolate flavor and mini chocolate chips to add to the glee of getting to eat one of these treasures in the middle of the day.
Next time you go for the boxed brownies from the store, try these instead! They’re just as easy to make, are super decadent and have a deep chocolatey flavor that’s to die for. Let me know what you think by tagging me on social media!
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Brownie Bites
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, sugar and salt making sure to break up any cocoa powder lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined, and fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour 2 tbsp of batter into each greased mini-muffin cup and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- *To freeze place the baked brownie bites in labeled zipper bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature and serve.