If there are two things growing like weeds in our garden this summer, it’s cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. I can’t possibly make enough homemade pesto with the basil or hit a point where we’ve had tomatoes in everything from salads to roasted with pasta, so I wanted to come up with a simple summertime dish to really showcase their beauty. This Caprese Quiche is a total showstopper and much easier then you would imagine.
Our family loves Ham and Asparagus Quiche, but since this is Meatless Monday, Caprese Quiche is a great one meal vegetarian dish with tons of protein from the eggs, milk and cheese, the crispy crust you can buy or make using this Weelicious homemade pie crust recipe and those sweet cherry tomatoes that are as good as they’re going to get in the summer. Make a few of these for a backyard party or even as a gift for a friend and serve them with a tasty Kale and Avocado Salad on the side for a complete meal that will win everyone over to eating this simply delicious vegetarian dish!
Caprese Quiche (serves 6-8)
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup packed basil, thinly sliced
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust (recipe linked below)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Place the dough into a pie or tart pan and mold into the shape of the dish. Place the pie crust in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
3. Line the crust with parchment paper and pie weights or dried beans and bake for 15 minutes.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and mozzarella cheese. Gently fold in the basil and cherry tomatoes.
5. Pour the filling into the partially baked pie crust and bake an additional for 35 minutes or until golden and cooked through (the center shouldn’t jiggle).
6. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
pie dough: http://weelicious.com/2012/07/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-pie-crust-video/