Give me a big bowl of California-Style Cauliflower Rice and Beans and you’ve got one happy mama! Especially in January when your New Years resolutions are in full affect this is one of those recipes that will make you feel all giddy inside! Haven’t tried cauliflower rice? We need to talk!
The cauliflower rice fad started over a year ago, but unlike most fads that disappear quickly, I’m betting this one is here to stay. Not only does Trader Joe’s sell it fresh, but also frozen which is generally a good sign of a trend. Although brown rice is incredibly nutritious I know a lot of adults trying hard to avoid it keeping away from carbs, but you still have to fill the void somehow. It’s amazing how cauliflower when diced into tiny pieces and cooked mimics the texture of rice especially in a dish like this one. Did you make this Asian Style Cauliflower Rice or Cauliflower Grilled Cheese? They’re both perfect dishes if you’re following a gluten free life style.
In California we eat a lot of beans and rice, so this is my twist on the classic dish. It’s not only super healthy, but also beautiful to look at and totally kid friendly.
If you make the dish and share it on social make sure to tag @weelicious so I can see your version!
Photo by Matt Armendariz
California Style Cauliflower Rice and Beans
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped in food processor until it resembles rice
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook an additional 1 minute.
2. Add chopped cauliflower, cumin, paprika, black beans and cook for 3 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
3. Stir in the salsa and cook an additional minute. Stir in cilantro and serve.