If you’re not making Acai Bowls for your family, now is the time to start! What is an acai bowl? To me, it’s basically a smoothie bowl, and to my kids it’s one of their favorite nutritious breakfast recipes. In Los Angeles there are restaurants that serve only acai bowls with all of the accompaniments. They’re that good!
We know that berries are good for you, but acai berries are one of the healthiest you’ll find. Acai is a cross between a blueberry and a grape, indigenous to rain forests in the Amazon and packed with antioxidants as well as being an immune and energy booster. The best part is that you buy it in the freezer section of your grocery, so you can get it year round.
This recipe is super simple! Just crack a few packets of acai on your counter which makes it easier to remove the outside wrapping and popping it into the blender and toss it in with some milk and frozen banana to make a creamy mixture you pour in a bowl and then top with anything from a variety of fresh fruits, to coconut, granola and more. I offer you a ton of suggestions below, but I would love to hear your ideas as well in the comments.
Want a new breakfast recipe that works as well for your baby as it does for your big kid? Acai bowls are a total win!
- 2 packets frozen, unsweetened acai
- 1 large frozen sliced banana
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup almond, rice, or cow’s milk, or coconut water
- toppings of choice: strawberries, blueberries, bananas, granola, shredded coconut, nuts and seeds
- Rinse Acai packets under cold water for 10 seconds. Cut open, remove plastic and place in a blender.
- Add frozen bananas and milk and blend until smooth. Stop and scrape down sides if necessary.
- Place in a bowl and top with any of your favorite toppings.
I have found them in the feezer section of my local grocery! They definitely will have them at Whole Foods and health food stores!
Where do you buy acai packets? What brand??
I haven’t come across these!
These are so great for the kids to customize!
I have never made one before, but have bought the Acai packets for smoothies. Will def be buying them again to make these for breakfast and a great breakfast for my 7 and 5 yr old to help make and pick there toppings have for bfast at school. Thank you for sharing.
I’m completely obsessed with acai bowls. My favorite topping combo: coconut flakes, hemp seeds, chia seeds, buckwheat groats and blueberries!