Slow Cooker Queso Blanco is an easy and delicious appetizer that’s perfect for so many occasions. Whether it’s taco night, the big game or a birthday get together, a warm bowl of queso with a side of chips is the way to go!
This Slow Cooker Queso Blanco is super easy to make and only has a few ingredients. I’ve seen lots of cheese dip recipes for the slow cooker that call for Velveeta, but this one is not one of them! We’re only using real ingredients for this recipe, and it turns out super tasty! It tastes exactly like something you’d get at a restaurant and takes hardly any time to prepare.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Queso Blanco
The Cheeses: Obviously, the star of the show are the cheeses. For this recipe we’re using white American cheese and pepper jack cheese.
Milk: You can use either whole milk or half and half for this recipe and it’ll turn out creamy and delicious.
Green Chiles: For a little bit of heat, we’re adding one can of green chiles to this dip. You could also substitute one finely diced jalapeño if that’s what you have on hand and want a little extra spice.
Garlic: A couple cloves of chopped garlic add a little extra flavor.
Tomato: I like to add tomato for some more depth of flavor. Cut it in half, remove the seeds and then dice.
Cilantro: Some chopped cilantro because everything is better with cilantro.
How to Make Queso Blanco in the Slow Cooker
This recipe is super simple to put together, especially thanks to the slow cooker. Here’s how you do it:
Step 1: Add the cheeses, milk, and chopped garlic to a slow cooker on high. Cook for 45 minutes or until the cheeses are melted. Stir to combine.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and heat through, about 10 more minutes. Keep on warm while serving.
What to Serve with Queso Dip
I love serving queso dip as an appetizer with tortilla chips of course, some fresh salsa and homemade Guacamole. It’s also a great addition to your Taco Buffet if you make a batch of Crock Pot Pulled Pork Tacos or Taco Bowls.
FAQs for the Best Queso Blanco
- Queso too thick? Keeping the slow cooker on warm will help the queso not solidify. If it’s still too thick for your liking, add a couple tablespoons of milk at a time until it’s your desired consistency.
- Can you use already shredded cheese? In short, I wouldn’t recommend it. Bagged shredded cheese usually have anti-caking agents in them which can make the cheese not melt and stick together as well as if you shred it yourself.
- Where do I find white American cheese? Check the deli at your grocery store for white American cheese. That’s usually where I’m able to find it!
- What if I don’t have a slow cooker? No problem at all! You can make this recipe on your stove top just as easily. Follow the same instructions but add your cheeses to a large pot on your stove over low/medium heat instead of a slow cooker.
- Can I save leftover queso blanco? Absolutely! Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, you can microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through or add to a pot on the stove and slowly reheat.
I love a good dip and this is one of our favorites. Have restaurant style queso whenever you’re in the mood with this slow cooker queso blanco recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments or tag me on social media if you make it!
Images by Ivan Solis
Slow Cooker Queso Blanco
- slow cooker
- 12 ounces white American cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces green chiles, drained
- 1 large tomato, cut in half to remove seeds and dice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a slow cooker on high and cook for about 45 minutes until cheese is melted. Stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat through, about 10 minutes. Keep on warm while serving.