Are you tired of the same old pasta dishes but still want to please your family’s taste buds? Look no further than Spaghetti Pie! This delightful twist on the classic pasta dish is not only a crowd-pleaser and super kid-friendly, but also incredibly easy to make.
Why Make Spaghetti Pie?
- A Creative Twist: Spaghetti Pie takes the ordinary and transforms it into something extraordinary. It’s a unique and creative way to enjoy spaghetti that will impress your family and friends.
- Leftover Magic: If you have leftover cooked spaghetti and some basic ingredients in your pantry, Spaghetti Pie is a fantastic way to give those leftovers new life.
- Time-Saver: This recipe is ideal for busy weeknights. You can prepare it ahead of time and bake it when you’re ready to eat.
- Kid-Friendly: Kids tend to be picky eaters, but Spaghetti Pie’s fun and intriguing appearance can make mealtime an adventure.
- Cooked Spaghetti
- Parmesan Cheese
- Ground Turkey
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Tomato Sauce
- Ricotta cheese
- Italian herbs
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
How To Make Spaghetti Pie
1. Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a deep-dish pie plate.
2. Make Spaghetti Mixture: Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add egg/cheese mixture to the spaghetti and mix.
3. Form “pie crust”: Place the spaghetti mixture into the greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
4. Make Meat Sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the ground turkey, salt, garlic and onion powder for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Pour the marinara sauce over the meat and stir to combine.
5. Make Ricotta Mixture: In a bowl stir the Ricotta cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and Italian herbs to combine.
6. Build Spaghetti Pie: Spread the ricotta/parmesan cheese mixture over the pasta, then layer the marinara mixture and finally, top with 1 cup of mozzarella.
7. Bake: Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Cool and Serve: Cool, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Spaghetti Pie
- Cook the Spaghetti Just Right: Ensure your spaghetti is cooked to al dente. Overcooking it will result in mushy pie.
- Mix Thoroughly: Make sure the noodles are well coated with the egg and parmesan cheese mixture so that the pie will bake and set evenly.
- Let it Cool: The key to a perfect Spaghetti Pie is letting it rest for a several minutes after baking. This allows it to set and makes slicing easier.
- Leftover Spaghetti Hack: This is a perfect recipe for using up leftover spaghetti, just FYI!
- To Store: If you plan to eat the leftovers within 2-3 days, store your Spaghetti Pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to cover it tightly to maintain freshness.
- To Prepare Ahead of Time/Freeze: To meal prep Spaghetti Pie, prepare according to recipe instructions but don’t bake. You can either store in the refrigerator for a couple days and then bake, but longer than that, I would cover thoroughly and freeze. Freeze it in a disposable foil pan to make clean up easier. You can also freeze leftover portions too!
- Reheat: If baking a whole pie from frozen, add about 15-20 minutes to the baking time or until the whole pie is heated through. To reheat leftovers from the refrigerator you can microwave or pop in the oven until heated through. Times will vary so keep an eye on it!
- Customize Proteins: Feel free to use ground beef or chicken in the place of the ground turkey. Or leave the meat our entirely and make a Vegetarian Spaghetti Pie!
- Jarred Sauce: The best part about this recipe is you don’t need to make a homemade sauce for it to be delicious. Opt for your favorite store bought jarred pasta sauce save tons of time!
- Gluten-Free: I’ve not tested this, but if you have a favorite gluten-free spaghetti, feel free to substitute it for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Dairy Free: Substitute dairy-free cheeses to create a delicious dairy free Spaghetti Pie.
Wondering what to serve alongside your Spaghetti Pie? Here are a few pairing ideas:
- Garlic Bread: A classic choice that complements the flavors of Spaghetti Pie.
- Salad: A crisp Caesar salad or any salad with a tangy dressing balances the richness of the dish.
- Roasted Vegetables: A side of roasted broccoli, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts adds color and nutrition to your meal.
- Fruit Salad: Refreshing and sweet, a fruit salad makes for a delightful contrast.
More Kid-Friendly Pasta Recipes
- Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
- Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Meatballs with Mini Wheel Pasta
- Pasta Mama
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
Spaghetti Pie is an easy, family-friendly dish that can transform your dinner routine. Whether you’re looking to repurpose leftover spaghetti noodles, impress guests with a creative twist on pasta, or get your kids excited about what’s for dinner, this recipe has got you covered! Let me know in the comments what you think and tag me on social media if you make it!
Images by Ivan Solis
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked (about 1/2 a package)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey (you could also use ground beef or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups tomato sauce (homemade Weelicious recipe linked in notes)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add mixture to the spaghetti and mix.
- Place the spaghetti mixture into a greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the ground turkey, salt, garlic powder and onion powder for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Drain excess grease if necessary.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the meat and stir to combine.
- In a bowl add the ricotta cheese, remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and Italian herbs and stir to combine.
- Spread the ricotta/parmesan cheese mixture over the pasta, then layer the marinara mixture and finally, top with 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool, cut into wedges and serve.