Sweet Potato Latkes

sweet-potato-pancakes-with-apple-sauce.jpg

In our house, everything is more fun when it's a holiday. The entire time we were making these sweet potato pancakes, it felt
like Hanukkah. Potato pancakes or latkes as they are also known,
are most commonly eaten in the fall during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. Although it's
the middle of July and grossly hot outside, the sweet potatoes at this week's farmer's market were incredible and I couldn't help wanting to
make something with them.
I decided to pump up the nutritional value in my version by making them with
sweet potatoes. It's amazing how delicious the natural sweetness from the potato
and the savory flavors from the onion and garlic marry into such a delectable
treat. Kenya was digging them in a big and bad way.
Whenever I hand
him something whole, especially like these big, crunchy circles he
looks like he's hit the food jack pot.
For your little ones who are getting into dipping, I added apple sauce
which no latke should ever go without!

We used these to make this recipe:

Sweet Potato Latkes  (Make 20 Toddler Pancakes)

like Hanukkah. Potato pancakes or latkes as they are also known,
are most commonly eaten in the fall during the Jewish...

• 1 sweet potato, grated (this came out to be 3 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • canola or vegetable oil, for pan searingapple sauce
  • apple sauce

1. 1. Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and throughly combine.
  2. 2. Place a large saute pan or griddle over medium heat.
  3. 3. Heat 3-4 Tbsp of oil, or enough to coat the bottom of the pan, in the saute pan for 30 seconds.
  4. 4. Add a heaping tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture to the pan. Pat down the mixture with the back of a fork and form into a thin, circular patty (you don’t want them to be thick or they won’t cook through).
  5. 5. Cook for 5 minutes or until they begin to turn golden. Flip them over.
  6. 6. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes or until the bottom is golden.
  7. 7. Place the patties on a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining sweet potato mixture.
  8. 8. Cool patties and serve.
  9. *Allow to cool, then place in ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, pop them into a oven at 300 for 10 minutes or until warmed through or defrost in fridge for 24 hours then heat in a dry pan.
Sweet Potato Latkes

Comments

1. roz

November 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm

It isn’t your fault. Sweet potato latkes don’t hold together. I will keep trying.

2. Rebecca

December 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Not sure what my problem was…I just couldn’t get these to stay together. When I went to turn the pancakes, they just fell apart. I gave up about halfway through the batch….they just weren’t turning out at all.

3. deb

December 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm

4. tive76

November 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Wondering if this could be baked.

5. shauna

February 27, 2011 at 12:49 am

Any suggestion how I can make this gluten free?

6. Cassie @ Cuisinart Online

November 1, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi, just stopped by doing some research for my Cuisinart site. Lots of information out there. Wasn’t what I was looking for, but great site. Take care.

November 2, 2010 at 5:10 pm

What is your site about?

7. Pingback: Sweet Potato Pancakes

8. Lisa

July 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I struggled with these a little- was looking forward to making something new w/ sweet potatoes but had some problems in the execution… I used my cuisinart shredding attachment to shred the potato and spread it as thin as I could in the pan so it would still stay together but felt like the potato didn’t really get cooked in the process & was somewhat crunchy. My 2nd set, I tried covering the pan for part of the cooking time & they did seem more cooked but didn’t get as crispy b/c I turned down the heat. 3rd try turned the heat back up & covered but they never really got to what I expected b/c they started to brown too soon. I am not sure what I did wrong, they did actually look like the photo online though :) .

• Rubel

February 3, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Cas, by lemon, what exactly do you mean? A hunk of lemon? A suqirt of lemon juice?Either way, that sounds horribly. I love pancakes, but I don’t think I’d touch one with lemon anything on it.

July 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm

This one can be a bit tricky , here are some tips: try grating the potato with a hand grater – the Cuisinart may have shred it too thin. Was the potatoes watery? If so, you would have had to drain the liquid before combining with the other ingredients. Try not to over crowd the pan, by over crowding you produce steam and that will not let it brown. Make sure your heat is on Medium heat and your pan and oil is hot – this produces the browning and crispiness. Do not bring down the heat. Do not cover the pan, it produces steam and no browning. Make sure you are timing it and cooking them for 5 minutes on each side. The key thing is that your oil and pan are hot and you pat down the pancakes to be thin – and time the cooking – I hope these tips help. Let me know if you make them again! :)

9. MIchelle

November 16, 2008 at 5:44 pm

all i have to say is- good,easy, and most important quick! my son loved them, as well as me and the hubby! great recipe…

10. Misti

October 10, 2008 at 1:30 pm

This recipe is delicious! A new favorite at our house for sure!