This time of year, when its cold outside and you want something homey to eat -- but also something fast -- tomato soup is a total winner. I have the greatest memories of being a little kid eating grilled cheese with tomato soup at my grandmother’s house.
This is comfort food at its best and this version is quite healthy.
Roasted Tomato Soup (Makes 4 Cups of Soup)
- 1 28 Oz Can Whole Tomatoes
- 1/2 Onion, cut into quarters
- 1 Garlic Clove, whole
- 2 Sprigs of Thyme or 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove the tomatoes from the can, reserving the tomato juice.
3. Spray a sheet pan with spray or grease with olive oil.
4. Toss the tomatoes, onion, garlic and thyme with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on the sheet tray.
5. Roast for 30 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
6. Place in a blender with reserved tomato juice and vegetable broth.