This is some of the most fun I've ever seen Kenya have making a recipe because he was totally in charge. He literally got to build his meal from the ground up. It's normally not tough to persuade kids to eat pizza, but letting them make it their own way is a big step towards empowering them. Since all of the steps in making these Mexican Fiesta Pizzas are kid friendly (besides putting them in the oven), Kenya was able to make his the way HE liked it (important for kids who tend to like things their own way). I'm not going to tell you that his final product looked as pretty as the picture above, but Kenya ate every last bite and enjoyed every minute of the process. To me, a kid can't have a better experience than that in the kitchen.
Mexican Fiesta Pizza (Serves 4)
- 1 Lb <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2009/02/24/whole-wee-eat-pizza-dough/\">whole wheat dough</a>
- 1/2 Cup Salsa, I used chunky mild
- 1 Cup Mexican Cheese Blend (Mozzarella, Cheddar and Monterey Jack, grated
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. If using prepared dough, leave the dough on the counter until at room temperature.
3. Cut the dough into four equal pieces and using your hands, shape into individual pizza circles.
4. Place on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet and cover each pizza with salsa, cheese and desired toppings.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
Toppings before baking: sliced black olives, scallions, black beans, sliced tomatoes
Toppings after pizza cooks: sour cream, lettuce