Sometimes when I'm trying to come up with new recipe ideas, I try to think of two foods I know my kids love and then build a dish around it. I've discovered that if I make meals that take the form of a muffin, cake, cookie or pie, my guys are instantly intrigued. I've had great results with Sweet Beet Cookies, Breakfast Cupcakes and Veggie Pancakes, but I really thought I hit the jackpot when I came up with Spaghetti Pie. When I told Kenya I was making him a Spaghetti Pie for dinner, he actually started giggling, "what's Spaghetti Pie, Mommy?!" "Well, it's....Spaghetti Pie!" I realized that's all I had to say -- no explanation, description or convincing needed. The only downer is that I had planned on having leftovers, but there were none to be had. Bye bye Spaghetti Pie!
Spaghetti Pie (Serves 6)
- 8 oz Spaghetti, cooked (about 1/2 a package)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey (you could also use ground beef or chicken)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Cups weelicious tomato sauce (recipe linked below)
- 1 Cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Tsp italian herbs
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
3. Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add mixture to the spaghetti and mix.
4. Place the spaghetti mixture into a greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the ground turkey, salt, garlic and onion powder for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
6. Pour the marinara sauce over the meat and stir to combine.
7. In a bowl stir the Ricotta cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and Italian herbs to combine.
8. Spread the Ricotta/Parmesan cheese mixture over the pasta, then layer the marinara mixture and finally, top with 1 cup of mozzarella.
9. Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
10. Cool, cut into wedges and serve.
Weelicious Tomato Sauce: http://weelicious.com/2009/10/06/weelicious-tomato-sauce/