Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Whenever there's a seasonal item at Trader Joe's like pumpkin puree, I get so excited that I lose control and end up buying at least 10 cans of it. Individual Pumpkin Cheesecakes, Pumpkin Milkshakes, Pumpkin Seed Cookies, Pumpkin Waffles....those are a few of the things I love to make with pumpkin puree, just to give you a hint of my obsession with it.

In general, I try not to eat a lot of canned foods, but if there's one thing that is simply easier and tastier to get from a can, it's pumpkin puree. Roasting and pureeing an entire pumpkin, is a time consuming task that I don't recommend doing, especially when their are a couple of very good canned brands out there. As you now know, I love making my arsenal of Vitamin A packed pumpkin recipes, but it's always a fun challenge for me to come up with new ones. When these Pumpkin Apple Muffins came out of my oven, the entire kitchen was filled with the delicious smells of cinnamon and spice. The first bite of a muffin was even better though, especially when spread with a spoonful of weelicious Pumpkin Butter.

So go out, get some canned pumpkin and get into the pumpkin spirit. I'm not saying you have to go crazy like me, but no matter what you make -- especially this time of year -- pumpkin makes everything taste more special!

Pumpkin Apple Muffins  (12 Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins)

• 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 cup agave or honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and grated (gala, pink lady, fuji or golden delicious are good choices)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
  4. 4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
  5. 5. Grease muffin tins or line them with muffin cups and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
  6. 6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Comments

1. Kara

October 27, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Is there a substitute for the egg? Could I use oil? I’ve been doing some research online and I found that flax and bananas could be an egg substitute, but I recently found out I have a sensitivity to nuts, eggs, & bananas… It makes baking a little challenging :(

• C. McCord

October 27, 2014 at 5:21 pm

The best egg substitutes I have found are the flax seeds mixed with water. I’ve heard people having success with using 1/4 cup applesauce to replace 1 egg, but I haven’t tried it myself.

• Kara

October 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I used applesauce instead of egg… and the muffins are delicious.
        My 15 month old clapped and clapped while he ate them!

• Kara

October 27, 2014 at 4:02 pm

or maybe i could use heavy cream! THANK YOU!!

2. Violeta Branzuela

October 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

I love all your recipes, good and easy! Thank you!

3. Laura

October 19, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Finally made these with some of my usual modifications and everyone loved them. My modifications: for flour I did 1 cup organic whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup almond flour, and 1/2 cup rolled oats (ground up in food processor to be flour like); instead of pumpkin pie spice I did 1/4tsp allspice, 1/4tsp ginger and 1/2tsp cinnamon (in addition to the 1 tsp cinnamon); used 3T organic coconut oil for oil; 1/4 cup raw local honey and 1/4cup organic coconut sugar instead of all honey; used himalayan sea salt. My recipe made 16 muffins.

4. Pingback: Pumpkin activities and crafts for toddlers and preschoolers

5. nicole

June 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Yum! I’ve been searching for a recipe like this to add to my four-year old’s school lunches. Thank you, and I can’t wait to try them!
    One question: we’ve been trying to add more fiber into her diet–is there a way I could add a little ground flax seed to this recipe without altering the taste or consistency?

• Catherine McCord

June 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm

You should be able to replace 1-2 tablespoons of the flour with ground flax seeds with no problem!

6. Jazmin

May 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Just wondering if I can somehow add wheat germ to this recipe? Thanks :)

7. Megan

February 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm

These were a very nice, light muffin. I made with all white whole wheat flour and was happy with the texture. I also added 1/2cup yellow raisins which gave them nice little bursts of sweetness throughout…

8. amy1taylor

November 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Could I use all white whole wheat flour instead of the white flour?

• Catherine McCord

November 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes! They will come out a but more dense and nutty flavored!

9. Valerie Grace

November 11, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I am in LOVE with this recipe! Especially yummy with honey butter!

10. wendy

September 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I made these for my daughters morning preschool class on her birthday, great subsitution for cupcakes.

11. Teresa

September 24, 2013 at 11:37 am

Big hit in our house this week! The kids keep asking for them for breakfast, lunch and snacks. :) We’re making another batch today.

12. nyca5124

September 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I made mini muffins and they turned out nice and moist. I don’t think however, that they have very much flavor. I couldn’t taste the apple, and the pumpkin and spice flavor isn’t very pronounced. I made them for my 18 month old son though, so if he eats them happily, I will be thrilled. Next time I will definitely double the spices.

13. shirley

September 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Tried these for the first time today and they are delicious! Light and fluffy! Going on our favorites list along with banana apple muffins and sweet potato muffins.

14. Allison

August 28, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I am making these tonight as a early welcome to fall and because I loved them last year! I also had a honey crisp apple from the farmer’s market that is begging to be grated up into these muffins. We have honey from our family’s honey bees to use in them too! YUM!

15. Andrea

March 6, 2013 at 3:16 pm

These are fantastic! My whole family loved them. I omitted the pumpkin pie spice ( I didn’t have any at the time) and added some all spice. I love the shredded apple, plus the fact that I have all these ingredients on hand most days. Thank you!

16. drewnlukesmom

January 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I made these today and at the last minute realized I didn’t have an apple. I shredded up two carrots instead and it worked well!! Yum

17. elaine moehring

January 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm

i ALSO buy my canned pumpkin from trader joes, BY THE CASE!!! it was funny to hear someone else does it too!

18. rebecca

December 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yummy! My daughter LOVES these.

19. Beena Kissoonsingh

December 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

i luv your page

20. Karla

November 22, 2012 at 6:25 am

Would gluten free all purpose flour work as a substitute for both flours in the recipe? I would love to try these, but I am gluten sensitive!

November 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I’m sure that would work, although I haven’t tested it! Let me know how they come out!

21. Karla

November 22, 2012 at 6:17 am

Would this recipe work with gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of the regular all-purpose and whole wheat flours? This muffin recipe sounds delicious!

22. Jennifer

October 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

We made these tonight. My daughter ate 2 and then half of a third. I would say they are a hit!

23. Cole

October 18, 2012 at 11:59 am

These sound delicious!

24. Melissa Sullivan

October 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hi! A friend recommended your site to me. Love it! I want to make these muffins for my son’s 2nd bday this weekend. I want to make mini muffins. How long would you recommend baking them? Don’t want to overcook them! Thanks!

October 16, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Check them at 12 minutes! If they’re not quite done give them another 3-5 :)

25. Pingback: Pinterest inspired weekend « Lewis Family Love

26. Pingback: Pinterest Weekend « Baby Lewis Today

27. Pingback: Modified Recipe #1: Pumpkin Apple Muffins | Being on Purpose

28. becky

September 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Hi! These are amazing! I’m featuring them on my blog today. Link up with me! http://preparingforpeanut.com/pinterest-ing-meals-fall-link-party/

29. Pingback: Share Your Pinterest-ing Meals – Fall Link Party |

30. Pingback: Middle Of The Cinnamon Roll Muffins Recipe- Framed Cooks

31. Pingback: Makita Akkuschrauber

32. søkemotoroptimalisering

February 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Very nice. Thanks for the recipe.

33. Pingback: web hosting

34. Pingback: pumpkin apple muffins | Grand River Organics

35. Bethann

February 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Just made these with spelt flour instead of white and stevia instead of honey. Also used 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt instead of canola oil. Curious to see how they turn out.

36. Pingback: Hindi Songs chords

37. Pingback: juegos de animales

38. Pingback: information product creation

39. Pingback: Russ Stebner

40. Pingback: makassar apple

41. Pingback: Çorbalar

42. Precast Detailing

December 28, 2011 at 4:46 am

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i’m glad to show that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I so much indubitably will make sure to do not put out of your mind this site and give it a look on a relentless basis.

43. Pingback: hardware

44. Pingback: 5 things Saturday – Favourite resources for baby-friendly feeding « Modern Mama in Vancouver

45. Vikki

December 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

I would love to make these for my 9 month sold but he can’t have honey yet and I don’t have (nor plan on leaving the house today for) agave. Any ideas what else we could use?

• Amanda

October 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

As long as it’s cooked it’s ok to give them honey :)

46. Dawn

November 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I made these last night and they were a hit! I can’t wait to try some of your other muffin recipes. Such a great way to get more fruits and veggies in my sons diet. Love that they’re convenient to pack in a bag to Grandma’s too :)

47. Melissa

November 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Is it possible for me to get nutritional information on this recipe? I absolutely LOVE them, but have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and would love to be able to fit it into my menus properly. :)

48. hjoseph

November 20, 2011 at 11:44 am

Just made a batch – added a bit more agave based on the reviews. They still turned out dry and quite bland :(

49. Jessica

November 8, 2011 at 12:30 am

I just had a baby and I can’t always take the time to shred an apple these days! ;) Can I use applesauce–how much should I use?? Has anyone tried this? These are our FAVORITE muffins!

50. Sarah

November 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

I use an little extra honey, oil, and milk. That seems to keep them quite moist.

51. Meg Johnson

November 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Made this recipe twice this week! Very tasty. Added craisins to my second batch & a scoop of chia seeds for some extra nutrients :-)

52. jdw

October 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I made these tonight. The only things I changed were a tiny bit less honey (ran out) and added a 1/2 tsp of vanilla. They came out dry dry dry. What did I do wrong? They just don’t look nice and moist (even if I had taken them out earlier, they were already looking more like a scone than a muffin in texture)

53. jennifer eckard

October 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm

my 2 year old daughter and I just made these and they were super easy and she loved them. we used applesauce instead of oil and they turned out great!

54. Pingback: Cooking Pumpkin

55. Theresa

October 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm

What is in pumpkin pie spice. I am guessing nutmeg and ginger…anything else? Clove? How much of each? I have all the spices, but not a “pumpkin pie spice”

56. Erinn

October 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

These look so good!

57. Amie

October 14, 2011 at 10:52 am

BTW, you can cook a pumpkin in the crock pot then easily peel/puree it (you simply scoop seeds then saw it in small enough pieces to fit your crock pot). No BPA-lined cans that way.

• Jessica

November 8, 2011 at 12:29 am

I also baked up pumpkins for puree and froze it in bags for making these later. I also like to avoid canned food if I can. It tasted great! :)

• Samantha

October 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Ooh, that would be super convenient, I have six pumpkins waiting for me to get them cooked up and pureed.

58. HereticPrincess

September 27, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’ve never had anything pumpkin wise besides pumpkin pie, but these look good.

59. Lauren

August 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I just made these for my son’s 1st birthday celebration at school. The kids LOVED them and they were a big hit with the teachers too! Thanks for all the great receipes!

60. Tracy

August 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I want to make these for my infant twins (9 months). They can’t have honey yet and I don’t have agave in the house. Could plain old sugar be substituted?

61. Pingback: Make Your Own: Pumpkin Apple Muffins | Baby In The Kitchen

62. Jennifer

May 25, 2011 at 11:47 am

I honestly thought these were bland. I followed the recipe exactly. How can I add more flavor? I am not a cook by nature, so I don’t know how to do this kind of stuff. Thanks for all the recipes!!

• Morgan

June 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I found them a bit bland as well, but then I am a spice junkie! I’m going to try making them again and increasing the cinnamon/pumpkin spice to 1 1/2tsp of each. I’ll let you know how they turn out! :)

• Morgan

June 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I doubled the spice tonight and the turned out beautifully! Much more flavourful than the first time I made them. These are my new fave! ;)

63. Pingback: Pumpkin Apple Muffins | Fried Rice & Eggs

64. Pingback: Pumpkin-Apple Muffins « Pumpkin Recipes

65. Merry

March 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I made these last night… although I didn’t use the whole wheat flour. Instead I made it all out of all purpose flour. It came out really well… sweet but not too sweet and nice and moist.

My son (14.5 months) will be trying it today… I’m sure he’ll like it.

Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering if these could be frozen…

• Beth

April 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I freeze mine all the time! I just thaw a few at a time! Works perfectly. I just put them in a freezer ziploc after they’re cooled. Then when I’m ready I’ll take one (or a few) out and either let them thaw on the counter or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Delish!

66. Esther

March 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm

You think I can try making these with pureed butternut squash instead of pumpkin? Can’t get pumpkin where I live:( If so, how thick should the puree be? Should I water it down or leave it thick?

• Gretchen

October 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’m going to make these using Hubbard squash puree. I plan to leave mine thick – usually pumpkin puree from a can is pretty thick.

67. Flora

January 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

What can be substituted for agave/honey in this recipe?

January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

You can use maple syrup :)

68. Heather

December 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Any recs on time & temp for a mini muffin pan?

December 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

These were actually baked in mini muffin pans :) so 20 min

69. Kerry

December 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Does anyone know how to calculate the nutritional info for this?

• Stephanie

January 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I use myfitnesspal calorie counter and enter the recipe and how many servings it yeilds, it the does the math for me. I entered this recipe and heres the breakdown per mini-muffin: 83 cal/15 carbs/2 fat/2 protein/7 sugar/3 Iron. For a regular size muffin it would be:166 cal/29 carbs/4 fat/4 protein/13 sugar/5 Iron. I did however use a 6 oz jar of Baby Food Stage 3 Sweet Potato Puree in place of the pumpkin, and used unsweetened applesauce as a shortcut to grating an apple. Some of the best numbers I have seen for muffins.

70. Naoko

November 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Grated apple; is it supposed to be like sliver-pieces or more like applesauce? Please clarify as I want to make this right :) Also, cooking time of 20min even for mini-muffins vs. regular muffins? So excited to try this! Great to have come across your site; thanks to GOOP!!!
    Naoko

71. Seema

November 19, 2010 at 11:58 am

I don’t have baking soda…can I just leave it out or will it change the recipe? Is there a substitute for baking soda?
    Thanks!

November 22, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You really need the baking soda. Unfortunately there are no substitutes :(

72. Jennifer

November 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I made these tonight in a mini doughnut pan with a teensy bit of powdered sugar on top. Very good. They are very moist and light.

I have made puree from pumpkins many times, but in baked goods I cannot tell the difference at all so I used canned.

73. Kristal

November 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm

These are amazing! We made muffins and bread and both were delicious. Just make sure not to overbake and they’re moist and perfect!

74. Matty's Mom

November 2, 2010 at 12:03 am

what would i change in terms of cooking time/temp if i were to make it in loaf form instead of muffin form?

November 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I would have to say about 40 minutes but also depends on the size of pan, and to also check it with a toothpick or knife to see if it comes out clean.

75. Margaret

November 1, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I made these yesterday, some in a muffin top tin, and some mini muffins- they’re almost gone!

Very tasty!

76. Julia

October 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Can someone recommend the best way to freeze the extra muffins? Just pop them in the freezer (separated first on a sheet) and then let them thaw when ready to eat?

October 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

yes or you can warm them up in the oven :)

77. P

October 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Just made these tonight with my 3 yrs old, so easy to make, so moist and delish! She’s taking them to school tmw!

78. April

October 26, 2010 at 11:17 am

I love to cook and I recently discovered your website. What a cute idea! I tried these muffins this morning with my 17 month old son and they are a hit! I didn’t have an apple on hand so I used 1/2 cup apple sauce instead. They are very yummy!

79. Maura

October 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I made these as Catherine did, but then I added some pumpkin cream cheese for a less-sweet kind of ‘cupcake’. I just mixed some lowfat cream cheese (softened) with more canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and a dash of agave. It’s like cream cheese frosting, but less sweet. And i topped a few of the muffins with it–YUM!

80. Dina

October 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I made these with a cup of whole wheat pastry flour and a cup of oatbran, which is lighter than wheat bran, and I used one cup of pumpkin puree since the applesauce I was planning to use was moldy. They came out great, very light and fluffy, and my 16 month old loves them!

81. Holly N.

October 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

I can’t wait to try this (and your other pumpkin recipes) as I just went crazy and bought several cans of pumpkin puree. I remember you talking before about it being seasonal so I didn’t want to miss out. I’ve never much cared for pumpkin but haven’t tried cooking them in something myself. Thanks for broadening my cooking horizons!

82. Tera

October 24, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Delicious! Love the chunky apple inside. My 2 1/2 year old gobbled them up. Thank you!

83. Rosie

October 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I love everything I’ve made. I do think a few of these ladies need to layoff being so critical and going overboard with their “suggestions” or come up with their own websites ;-) Keep the yummy recipes coming — can’t to make these!

84. Gina

October 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Has anyone added flax seed??

85. Elizabeth

October 24, 2010 at 11:43 am

Yum! These are in my oven right now, baking away – can’t wait to taste them!

86. Andrea

October 24, 2010 at 1:15 am

I just made these and they are so delicious and moist! I can’t wait for my daughter to try them in the morning. I am wondering, what is the best way to store them? In a big ziplock? On a plate with a napkin over them?

• Rebeca @ The Average Parent

November 27, 2010 at 12:07 am

i always keep my muffins and quick breads on a plate covered with a tea towel. That’s how my mom always did it and I find that when I store them in a plastic container / bag, they tend to get sort of funky.

October 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Ziploc or a container in the fridge :)

87. janaye

October 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I made these today, and they were definately a hit. My husband even likes them and he doesn’t like pumpkin!

88. Pingback: Link Roundup: Halloween Crafts, Cooking and MorePlease Mum's Picks | Please Mum's Picks

89. Pingback: Link Roundup: Halloween Crafts, Cooking and More | Inhabitots

90. Amy

October 23, 2010 at 1:22 am

You don’t have to peel your apples when baking with them. Just grate it in with the peel on for some extra nutrients!!

• Rebeca @ The Average Parent

November 27, 2010 at 12:05 am

thanks for the tip, amy. That’s one less step and it’s nice to know I can keep the added nutrition in the muffin with the peel. Very cool.

October 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I use the skin :)

91. Jessica

October 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Great results with rice milk. Mine were ready in a little under 20 min for regular sized muffins. They are not too sweet, so perfect for breakfast and/or snacks. :)

92. DenisseD

October 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm

My son and I made these in 20-minutes flat! The best surprise was that my 8-month old daughter LOVED these and screamed until we gave her one, and she ate the whole thing!! We used the remaining canned pumpking to make the pumpkin butter, and that literally took 5 mintues. Awesome!

93. Amy

October 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I’m really surprised that you talk about how hard it is to make a pumpkin puree! You can microwave the pumpkin to steam it very quickly and easily! And I think it is soooo much better than canned pumpkin. Try it in the microwave. It’s worth it!

94. Shannon

October 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I just made these with a few substitutions and they turned out great! We have egg allergies so we did the flax/water substitution and I didn’t have any fresh apples so I used 1/2 cup of applesauce and the muffins were delicious! Thanks for the great recipe.

95. Emily

October 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

My daughter has egg allergies. So we adapted this recipe by adding an extra teaspoon of baking powder and then adding 1T of milled flaxseed mixed with 3T of warm water.

96. Pingback: PuMMMMpkin bread! « In Search of a Better Self

97. Kelly

October 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Wonderful! I had a piece of butternut squash leftover from dinner that I peeled, diced, steamed, and pureed in the food processer (easier than it sounds!). I used that thick puree in place of the pumpkin and also substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose. Very pleased with the result – my 2 yr. old ate them up!

98. gina

October 20, 2010 at 7:33 am

Is pumpkin puree different from canned pumpkin used to make pumpkin pie?

October 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Depends on what you get. There is canned pumpkin pie puree and there is just canned pumpkin puree. I buy the canned pumpkin puree. It has no flavoring added to it. It saves a lot of time buying pumpkin puree than making it on your own :)

99. Pingback: Cooking with Pumpkin | Green and Clean Mom ™

100. Pingback: Pumpkin, rosemary & cheddar muffins London Foodie In New Yok London Foodie in New York

101. kat

October 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Love your recipies. You offer a lot of great tips! But I do disagree with you on the whole real pumpkin vs canned pumkin debate. To me real pumpkin has so mutch more of an authentic taste to it. The key is to pick the right pumpkin variety that gives it such a great taste. My favorite baking pumkin variety is “New Engalnd Pie”, they don’t grow to be huge like jack o lantern type pumpkins, but that’s a good thing, because it will be sweeter when its smaller. Sure roasting a pumkin takes a while to process,but you can freeze what you don’t use (often I get about 4-6 cups of puree per a pumkin).

102. stephanie

October 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I made these tonight and my two year old helped me. It was fun to make together and they are so yummy!!!!

103. steph

October 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I have 2 kids who are allergic to dairy…can I substitute rice milk for the milk? Also, have you tried substituting things like quinoa flour, spelt flour, etc? I’m also wondering how much white flour I have to keep in baked goods to keep them tasting good. Thanks so much. I love your site, it’s been really helpful!

October 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Yes you can use rice milk! :) I have not used other kinds of flours but if you test it out, let me know how they turn out!

• Jami

October 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I sub’d the all purpose with whole wheat all purpose and sub’d the whole wheat with power flour mix(eat clean-mix) and added a dash of sour cream. I find that helps lighten up the heavier flours. They were really yummy!

104. Tracey clayton

October 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

What about for high altitude?

• Melissa

October 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I just made these at high altitude this morning. The only change I made for altitude is to fill the muffins tins only half-full – that is the typical recommendation on box mixes for high altitude. I also replaced the oil with apple sauce (personal preference). They came out great with no adjustments to cooking time, and the recipe made 16 muffins. They had a little heavier feel, but that was probably due to the apple sauce substitution.

October 19, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I am not sure for high altitudes :( Do feel like you need to cook them longer or less? Also, watch it carefully and test it with a toothpick to see if they come out clean for doneness.

105. Tuuli

October 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love all things pumpkin and can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m so excited as I actually have all the ingredients!

106. Marilyn

October 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Can I use all whole wheat flour for the apple pumpkin muffins?

October 19, 2010 at 6:36 pm

They will come out too dense. You can use half whole wheat and half White whole wheat and see how it goes :)

107. Jenni Joseph

October 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I’m the exact same way. I go insanely crazy for pumpkin, butternut squash, etc this time of year. It’s not organic but at Aldi they have seasonal pumpkin puree for $.59/can and it’s just pure pumpkin! I got 4 cans last time and I plan to go back and get several more to keep up with my pumpkin baking all season long.

108. Lianne

October 18, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I always use only whole wheat pastry flour in muffins. Can’t wait to make these!

109. Harriet

October 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Have you tried this with 100% whole wheat flour. We are trying to avoid all versions of processed flour. Do you think it would work with only ww?

• Csilla Bischoff

October 22, 2010 at 7:06 am

Here is what I would recommend to up the nutritional value:

whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour
      aluminium free baking powder
      coconut oil or org. butter instead of vegetbale oil or canola oil
      honey or 100% maple syrup (and you don;t need a lot)
      may add pure vanilla extract for sweetness
      almond milk or rice milk instead of cow’s milk

enjoy

csilla

• Sarah

October 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

When subbing butter for oil, do you use equal parts?

October 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Yes it would be equal parts and the butter would be melted.

• Mel

October 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Great suggestions! Question – do you sub coconut oil in equal parts for vegetable oil when baking?

October 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

WW is very dense so you need the flour to balance it out and it make the muffin light and fluffy. That is sort of the rule of thumb when it comes to WW and baking. You can try doing it all with with WW but it might be too dense.

110. Kathleen

October 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

I was wondering bout the whole wheat too… Is that whole wheat flour??

October 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

111. Heather

October 18, 2010 at 9:42 am

We had pumpkin on the brain today too! Check out our recipe for pumpkin pancakes – - our toddler LOVED them. And the organic canned pumpkin we used was just like fresh-roasted…

112. Norah Randles

October 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

I’m new to your website but love what I have tried so far. This recipie calls for Whole Wheat…is that wheat flour?

113. Sarah@natural diabetic

October 18, 2010 at 9:16 am

I’m going to have to try the pumpkin butter. These look awesome! Love love love pumpkin!

114. Tanya

October 18, 2010 at 8:17 am

I was going to ask about subbing applesauce for the peeled and grated apple – last time I tried to grate an apple, it turned pretty much into applesauce!

• Jessica

October 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

I subsituted the grated apple with about 1/2 cup applesauce when making the apple/banana muffins and they turned out just fine.

115. Julie

October 18, 2010 at 7:44 am

What do you think about subbing unsweetened applesauce for the oil? This looks great, can’t wait to try it. We are pumpkin-aholics too!!

• Ana

October 19, 2010 at 8:25 am

I made the muffins yesterday and used applesauce instead of oil. I don’t know what they are supposed to be like with the oil but they were pretty good without it. I say go ahead and try.

October 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You need the oil in the muffins even though it has apples in them, it keeps them more moist. If you prefer to not put in the oil, then just sub it with the applesauce. I have never tried it but if you do, let me know what happens. You might get a different outcome than what the muffins are really like.

116. erin

October 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

Just made the vegan pumpkin pancakes, so i was excited to see another recipe to use the canned pumpkin. how do i safely store open pumpkin – just refrigerate? can i freeze it? how would i adjust the cooking times if i was making this in a loaf version?

• Amy V.

October 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I have froze pumpkin pack many times, works great! I even add frozen pumpkin cubes to oatmeal to cool it down, yum!

October 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm

One rule of thumb is to never store open canned food anywhere since it is a hazard. You have to remove it from the can and just place it in a container and put it in the fridge. I have not tried it but I think you would use a 9×5 inch loaf pan greased and fill it 3/4 the way and bake it for 50 min until a toothpick comes out clean. I have no tested it but you have to keep checking it since the timing is not accurate.

• Rene

October 18, 2010 at 7:24 am

You can absolutely freeze the pumpkin puree. I use to do this all the time when my son was eating pureed baby food.

117. Eve

October 18, 2010 at 6:52 am

I’ve been looking forwards to this recipe and can’t wait to make it today! However, I don’t have pumpkin spice…is it worth it to buy a container just for the 1 teaspoon I need? Or can I substitute something else?

• Ami

October 18, 2010 at 6:40 pm

It’s totally worth it to buy the Pumpkin Pie Spice. I use it in pancakes, oatmeal and I also have a recipe for pumpkin bread that calls for cinnamon but I use the pie spice instead and it’s so much better.

• Elizabeth

October 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

I always sub 1/2 cinnamon, 1/4 allspice, and 1/8 nutmeg and cloves. Some people put ginger in as well, but I don’t keep it in the house.

• Sarah@natural diabetic

October 18, 2010 at 9:05 am

I just use cinnamon, allspice, ginger and a tiny bit of nutmeg when a recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice. You could also try googling it and see what the ingredients are, but I would bet it is something along those lines.

• Blanca

October 18, 2010 at 8:47 am

Same here–don’t have pumpkin spice. I wonder if nutmeg or all spice will work?

October 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Pumpkin spice is a mixture of spices like cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and some ginger – just blend those together :)